News Intel: 3.2TB Optane SSD P5800X Due This Year

Jun 4, 2021
Since the Optane SSD DC P5800X drives are designed for data centers, they aren't very interesting to the vast majority of enthusiasts (especially at a price that starts at $1,224).

Enthusiasts pay $1000 Just for water cooling to get some 3% more performance ... The only reason that we (I am one of them) dont care about Optane drives is that the Samsung 980 pro is more than enough for any Gaming PC today and not worth it paying more for optane drives. I remember I paid $1000+ for SCSI drives when the IDE drives were around , but the gain was worth it... in optane vs 980 pro ... not much

ROBNTHROB

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Enthusiasts pay $1000 Just for water cooling to get some 3% more performance ... The only reason that we (I am one of them) dont care about Optane drives is that the Samsung 980 pro is more than enough for any Gaming PC today and not worth it paying more for optane drives. I remember I paid $1000+ for SCSI drives when the IDE drives were around , but the gain was worth it... in optane vs 980 pro ... not much

You replied back to counter but all you did was reinforce what was already said.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The difference between the high end NVME 4x4 vs these is really the endurance, and to a certain point IOPS. But raw speed isnt as big of a difference.

D_2_P_L_J_C

Commendable
May 23, 2021
You replied back to counter but all you did was reinforce what was already said.
Well, the original comment said that its not interesting to enthusiasts, but i would argue that despite the cost and the fact that theyre not really viable to us, they ARE still interesting to us. Hell, i bet there are plenty of people out there with deeper pockets than me that will buy one regardless. Dont forget a lot of Titan cards ended up in gaming PCs just because :)

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Optane was only ever meant for high-end workloads in enterprise type applications. If you're loading up the latest Call of Duty map, it's not really going to flex it's muscle. Put one of these in the Mastercard transaction database servers and it will sing. Sure the most hardcore of hardcore gamers will have them, and people that make a living editing 4k videos for youtube all day - but for the 99% of us Optane is simply overkill.

lorfa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2012
The low queue depth performance should still be nice for a desktop PC, even if the price is a poor fit for that.

The thing I can't stand about it is that the data only stays in the drive without power for 3 months (source), at least with optane v1. I don't think I would leave my PC not running for such a span of time, but it still bothers me.

Standard SSDs vary greatly in their data retention rates depending on the underlying technology, but enterprise drives fair the worst in this regard and optane was designed to be competitive with them in terms of their power-off data retention rates.

So how many seconds faster is Optane vs 970Evo Plus when updating Windows?

it is not only about load times , it is about backups and fast installing large (huge) games , and copying files between drives.
guess you do things differently or maybe have very slow internet
I have Steam and Uplay libraries on both SATA ssds and nvme and I never have to backup game install files.
Even the SATA ssds, at least the decent ones, won't slow down constant 1Gbit/s download speed.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021
So how many seconds faster is Optane vs 970Evo Plus when updating Windows?

guess you do things differently or maybe have very slow internet
I have Steam and Uplay libraries on both SATA ssds and nvme and I never have to backup game install files.
Even the SATA ssds, at least the decent ones, won't slow down constant 1Gbit/s download speed.

I have very fast internet ... actually slow internet does not need faster storage lol because it wont bottleneck the writing speed.

TRENDING THREADS