Question Can I connect a Portable Monitor to an Nvidia GPU using a DisplayPort-to-USB Type-C cable ?

simoelq

Reputable
Mar 22, 2021
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an Arzopa 16.1-inch 144Hz portable monitor, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm excited to set it up, but I have concerns regarding connecting it to my desktop PC.

Here's the setup I plan to use:

Monitor: Arzopa 16.1-inch 144Hz with 2 Type-C ports and 1 Mini HDMI port
Laptop: Has a Type-C port (for reference, it works fine with this)
Desktop: RTX 4070Ti GPU and Ryzen 9 7900X CPU

My laptop has a Type-C port, so connecting the monitor to it is straightforward. However, when it comes to my desktop, I'm uncertain about compatibility.

I have a DisplayPort to USB-C cable already, and I'm considering using it to connect the monitor to my RTX 4070Ti GPU. Additionally, I plan to power the monitor through the second Type-C port becasue I don't think the GPU will power the monitor. My concern is whether this setup will work effectively with the desktop's graphics card. Alternatively, I could use the Mini HDMI port, but I prefer not to due to concerns about its durability over time.

Please share your insights or experiences if you have a similar setup or if you have expertise in this area. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions you can offer as I eagerly await the arrival of my monitor.

Thank you in advance for your help!

itsduhhbzz

Commendable
Sep 21, 2021
In my experience with portable displays, the USB-C, HDMI, & DP options have worked well with both laptops and desktops. Based on your information you provided, I'm confident everything should work as you intend.

May 1, 2024
Hello I have the same monitor, I tried using display port to usb type c - it does say it's a bidirectional cable though it doesn't display. From my gpu display port to the monitors type c port, I'm powering it as well with another usb type c on the other port. Hdmi to mini hdmi works though. I'm wondering which setup you're using right now.

simoelq

Reputable
Mar 22, 2021
Hello I have the same monitor, I tried using display port to usb type c - it does say it's a bidirectional cable though it doesn't display. From my gpu display port to the monitors type c port, I'm powering it as well with another usb type c on the other port. Hdmi to mini hdmi works though. I'm wondering which setup you're using right now.
I was browsing on AliExpress and found a cable that I believe will work well for portable monitors and VR. The cable is designed to connect to a GPU via HDMI, with a USB A end for powering the cable itself (connected to a PC or another power source), and an additional USB C for powering the monitor. At the other end, everything converges into a USB C connector that attaches to the monitor.

I had two options to choose from: one with HDMI and one with DisplayPort. I opted for the HDMI version because it was longer, though both cables serve the same purpose.

This is the link of the cable on Aliexpress
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGQd3sJ

May 1, 2024
Thank you! will check it out.
I was browsing on AliExpress and found a cable that I believe will work well for portable monitors and VR. The cable is designed to connect to a GPU via HDMI, with a USB A end for powering the cable itself (connected to a PC or another power source), and an additional USB C for powering the monitor. At the other end, everything converges into a USB C connector that attaches to the monitor.

I had two options to choose from: one with HDMI and one with DisplayPort. I opted for the HDMI version because it was longer, though both cables serve the same purpose.

This is the link of the cable on Aliexpress
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGQd3sJ