Intel 3930k shortage?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marcsantacruz

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

I looked all over the ASUS web pages, and could find no mention of it. Look in the downloadable manuals too, doesn't mention it like the P9X79 manuals do.

However, I see you had a separate thread here and people point to a youtube video that shows its there. I don't have one, so all I can say is what I see on the ASUS web pages/manuals.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302940-30-asus-rampage

This post has conflicting reports. One person says no, another shows BIOS screen shots (which I assume are from the RIVE):

http://ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=6406&page=2

I have seen other reviews where ppl confuse statements made about the P9X79 + ssd caching with the Rampage IV.

The ASUS ssd caching implementation on the P9X79 and Sabertooth does not appear to have a capacity limit for the cache drive, unlike the Intel at 64 GB. I hope it does, I'd like to get one!

EDIT: I reviewed the YouTube video from the other thread, and it's about the P9X79 and Sabertooth series, not the Rampage. In the video, the Asus guy specifically says "this is one of the motherboards that has it" implying that they have mobos that don't.

I've contact Asus about it, but have not heard back yet. Anyone actually have one of these things and can confirm??

I'm going to contact Asus directly to get a straight answer....

ford1

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

You are correct, they have boards that do support it and boards that do not. I don not believe the Rampage supports it, however I am not 100% positive. If I have time tonight, I will pull my manual out and take a look. I have not actually built my system yet, so I will have to read the manual, but I don't recall it being there.

psugrad1999

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I got some good news and some bad news. The good news is I now have an estimated ship date of feb 2 - 24th. The bad nes is I now have an estimated ship date of feb 2 -24th. This is at amazon. NewEgg is still showing out of stock. A quick check at tiger and mwave still show on order. There was one site, I forget where that was showing backorder but estimated shippments for all 4 regional warehoueses. On one warehose in Tennisee had a delivery date listed. It was for 2-24

debase

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

i've been sitting on that case for over two months now so the Comos 2 wasn't even out yet, if it was that would have been my case.

i can remove the top fan on the case and replace it with the H100, and i saw some videos where people have replaced the fans on the h100 to make it quite, also add two more for a push-pull configuation

heyheytacotime

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I got my 3930 in Dec. but I almost wish I had waited for the upcoming second revision that is supposed to improve stepping. The last I heard was Jan. 20th for the improved chip, which I assumed was the production start day.

Sabertooth x79
3930k @ 4.3ghz
Gskill 2400 (11,11,11,32) 16gb
Thermaltake Toughpower grand 850
Evga 480gtx sc Sli
Corsair h100
Cooler master storm trooper
Corsair force 3 ssd 90gb
WD caviar green 2tb

keith808

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
ok well i looked in my Manuel and i saw that in the bios you have the option of srt but its through the bios and it looks really complicated compared to the other asus boards where you just click something.. T.T if anyone has the asus rampage iv x79 and know how to enable srt tell me please..

Industrialbass

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Well there it is processors are available in very limited quantities from distributors like amazon.com today at a ridiculously inflated price
Thank you intel and your marketing ploys creating a false shortage to drive up the price
Looks like ill be looking into an amd build ive been a customer of intel chips for 20 years now but as long as i have the option i will never buy from such a dishonest company again

Industrialbass just so you know we havent changed the price on this processor http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59136/2nd-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors/desktop

We sell to the distributors who will then sale to the resellers in this case Amazon. We to make some recommmendations on the price but the resellers have the ability to set the price themselves.

In the end we rather sell the processor to you when you want it then having you wait.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

ford1

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

Any update? Can you PM with price and site...thanks.

ford1

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

Any update? Did you give them a call?

ford1

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

I decided to go ahead and call them myself. They had none in stock, so I asked if they had any idea when they may receive more...The sales rep told me their distributor had Feb 24th as a target date :fou:

Now I am really starting to get frustrated if it is going to take that long...

psugrad1999

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
ok everyone, sorry for the tease earlier. And Ford1 you're going to be mad at me. but I stumbled across Provantage last night around midnight. I had been there before and they were saying on backorder. But last night they said ten in stock, so I placed the order. This am, I got an email saying that they were having a problem verifying me, so I called them directly. 2 hours later my cc was charged and I got a confirmation email saying the order processed. I checked my account and it is saying shipped. Ford1, have they actually charged and shipped for you? If they charged but didn't ship then I'd say you'd have a heck of a case against them since some did become available.

I just did a quick check on amazon and they have less then 10 available. NewEgg is still saying out of stock. Provantage is now saying special order only.

ford1

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

I AM KICKING MYSELF...I read your post about 3:00 A.M. or so and they did show 10 in stock, but I dismissed it because I just couldn't believe it. So, after I took a look again this morning and called, they were already out. I should have just placed the order and worried about it later.

psugrad1999...no hard feelings here, you came across one and were able to get it. Good for you. I shouldn't have been such a skeptic. I just found it odd they were showing 10 and nobody else had any...

Thanks for the update, let us know how it turns out for you.

ford1

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

I hear you...I am just hoping that is bad information. I have been kicking that around myself, but I haven't done it yet.

The only positive, I also have a Maximus Extreme Z board sitting in my closet. I could build with a 2600K, but I was going to use that for an Ivy Bridege build for my son's over the summer. I will give it a bit more time, I might just overpay and order from Amazon, I don't know at this point. :pt1cable:

psugrad1999

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

001isj - did you verify if provantage shipped the processor to you or not? I find it odd that they would have sold and shipped to me as a new order when you had 1 on back order. If they did, I'd call them and raise all sorts of drama with them. This is the first time I have ever ordered with them, and while I don't consider this a done deal until I recieve either the processor or a confirmed shipping numer, I have no reason as yet to suspsect some sort of funny going on.

psugrad1999

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

I tend to agree with you on this. A retailer wants to make as much profit as the market will bare on any product. Right now, supply on this processor is really tight (for what ever reason). And just because Intel has an MSRP, that doesn't set the price in stone. A retailer is not going to sell an item at a lost if it is avoidable. And If an item is in limited supply, they will sell it for what ever price they can. Such is the nature of capitalism and our free market society.

Also, Intel took a hit on my perception of the company by not being able to supply the chip I required when I needed it. It is the first time I had to wait on a computer build because of Intel, and while I love the company and their chips, I had to give them a black eye that will take a very long time to recover from. If I owned stock in the company, then I'd consider selling. And this problem certainly didn't entice me in to investing in this company right now.

I was irritated that Amazon sold it for much higher then NewEgg, but at least with Amazon I could place an order and wait for it to be filled. I considered this a premium fee. Since NewEgg doesn't offer backorder/pre-order option usually I was willing to pay a significant premium knowing that these processors were in short supply. Amazon wasn't the only company to gauge prices. I saw the same processor (c1 stepping) on an EBay partner for the same price the 3960x was moving for. And other online retailers were pricing 3930k's for $700-$900. Retailers saw the limited supply and upped their margins. But in the end, it didn't matter. Amazon couldn't ship it to me fast enough, NewEgg didn't allow pre-order/back order, and in the mean time I found a supplier that got the processor in at a cheaper cost (but not the cheapest).

I am being generous here. I'd like to think that supply on this processor is so tight because of the new stepping, the difficulty in manufacturing, or natural disaters in their manufacturing partners region. And I'm also hoping that these drastically high prices are a result of rampant capitalism. But I'm also concerned that Intel's premier line, the 3960x is considerbly more expensive then the 3930k for only a fractional increase in performance. I suspect that Intel realized their error and tightened supply on the 3930k's to clear their stock of 3960x's. If I'm paying for a premium on the xtreme version, I expect premium performance on that line compared to it's lesser syblings; which is not what we got in the sandybridge-e line. If the 3930k had locked multiplyers, I'd be more the happy to pay the premium. But it doesn't. The only real difference is the larger cache, and the slightly faster speed.

marcsantacruz

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Seaboom.com listed 10 in stock last night, but today the wrote me saying that was not the case. They would ship direct from Intel on Feb 5.

Their price was 633. Higher than MSRP, less than Amazon. AFAIK, only Fry's is still pre-ordering them at 599.99. That's capitalism. It's a hot product, limited supply, and high demand. You could probably wait an extra week or two and the prices will settle down again. I agree that when prices become excessive that says something about the reseller. I personally would not do business with someone who gouges.

I don't think it's in Intel's interest to manufacture (or lack thereof) a shortage, as there are many alternatives. Purposefully restricting supply only works when there are limited alternatives. People will just say "no thank you" and buy a lower profit 2600k/2700k/980k or even go AMD. Only people who really really really want PCIe 3 or x16/x16 without an NF200 "need" a 3930k. So, that's why I don't think it's Intel trying to manipulate supply.

Personally, I'm upgrading an ancient Athelon 64 X2 4600+ (like 6 yrs old), as I stopped gaming for a while and am starting back up. Everything is new in the new rig. Might as well go with the latest. Hell, I've waited 6 yrs to upgrade, I can wait another week or two.

rctrucker

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I am in the same boat as many of you, having a rig built just waiting for one little hole in the center of my motherboard to be filled.

Unfortunately I placed an order with a small company who had the chip in stock in Canada, but come to find out (after they stalled for almost 2 weeks) THEIR distributor was giving them a 1-3 day lead time that they could not fill.

Upsetting as it may be, if I can get one shipped to me around $600 I'm not going to hesitate, if I end up with two, I'll ebay the other, but what a hassle...

marcsantacruz

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Exactly. I check around, but mostly what I find is that if someone says it's "in stock" and I order it, they then say "whoops, sorry, not actually in stock" and I cancel the order. Examples: seeboom.com, nextdaypc.com.

At least my pre-order on Amazon locked me in to a lower price (630 or so) before they bumped it up to 690.

rctrucker

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I just ordered with Seaboom after calling to CONFIRM they had the item and will ship it out tomorrow, says 10 in stock right now.

http://www.seaboom.com/scripts/product.asp?PRDCODE=1052-BX80619I73930K&REFID=FR

Seaboom.com just called me to confirm that the item was on hand and ready to ship, but could NOT confirm what stepping the CPU was. I can only assume that it is C2, but that would be coupled with the assumption that intel was out of C1 versions of the chip.

I paid the extra for the expedited shipping so I will update which version it is, but by then, I'm sure they will be back out of stock.

I'm pretty excited, i'm not going to lie.

:bounce:

debase

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Hate to burst your bubble but look at what I found

http://www.pcworld.com/shopping/merchantreviews/prtprdid,88400525-prtretid,920/reviews.html

people say they have the product then when they take payment they then say its backordered. I hope its not in your case Good luck!

It stills shows 10 in stock

rctrucker

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I read a couple reviews that had said that, but there are quite a few more that have positive feedback. I called at time of order, and they called me back to confirm it was ready to ship.

I also received this already:

Dear *** :

Thank you for shopping at SeaBoom.com.

Your order number *** has been shipped. The tracking information will be automatically emailed to you shortly.

Again, we apologize for the delay, and thank you for your patience and understanding. If you have any questions, you can simply respond to this email or you can reach us at 516-304-5305 Mon-Fri 9:00AM-5:30PM EST.

SeaBoom.com Customer Service Team

They stated in the email that there was a delay but I ordered 45m before the email. I think they are filling back orders for people at the same time, and had more than enough to do so.

At least that's what I hope.