Intel 82830M grpahics controller

fred

Hi,

This is our setup:

Dell C400 Latitude Notebooks running XP Professional. Intel 82830M onboard
graphics controller. Driver version is Intel 6.14.10.3762.

We had no problems up until recently when we rolled out XP SP2. As part of
this rollout, I used the Windows update site to fully update the OS of each
machine. This included rolling out a new Intel driver from the Windowsupdate
site, which left a stamp of "Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Driver" in Add/Remove
programs.

These laptops are now experiencing a strange problem. They are used both
Docked and undocked. Previously there was no problem doing this, but since
the upgrade listed above, the machoines cannot cope with being redocked
gracefully.

The users go off and use their Laptops undocked in a sales meeting, or at
home, and when the redock back at the office, the monitor screen displays
the WinXP loading screen, but at the blue Logon Screen, the monitor goes
black. The only way to get the monitor to display is to move the monitor,
lift the laptop lid, do Fn+F8 then close the lid. The machine then goes into
standby. At this point, replacing the monitor and rebooting clears the
problem.

My question is this. Is there a problem with XP SP2 that anyone else has
come across with the same symptoms, or is there a problem with the Intel (R)
Extreme Graphics install from the Windows Update Site. This has put in an
additional Control Panel Applet, to configure the Graphics card, but it
appears to me to be set up correctly.

Can anyone help. Anyone seen this before

Many Thanks

Fred

Visit Dell support and download Dell's Intel Graphics drivers:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=LAT_PNT_P3_C400&category=6&os=WW1&osl=EN

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Fred" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| This is our setup:
|
| Dell C400 Latitude Notebooks running XP Professional. Intel 82830M onboard
| graphics controller. Driver version is Intel 6.14.10.3762.
|
| We had no problems up until recently when we rolled out XP SP2. As part of
| this rollout, I used the Windows update site to fully update the OS of each
| machine. This included rolling out a new Intel driver from the Windowsupdate
| site, which left a stamp of "Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Driver" in Add/Remove
| programs.
|
| These laptops are now experiencing a strange problem. They are used both
| Docked and undocked. Previously there was no problem doing this, but since
| the upgrade listed above, the machoines cannot cope with being redocked
| gracefully.
|
| The users go off and use their Laptops undocked in a sales meeting, or at
| home, and when the redock back at the office, the monitor screen displays
| the WinXP loading screen, but at the blue Logon Screen, the monitor goes
| black. The only way to get the monitor to display is to move the monitor,
| lift the laptop lid, do Fn+F8 then close the lid. The machine then goes into
| standby. At this point, replacing the monitor and rebooting clears the
| problem.
|
| My question is this. Is there a problem with XP SP2 that anyone else has
| come across with the same symptoms, or is there a problem with the Intel (R)
| Extreme Graphics install from the Windows Update Site. This has put in an
| additional Control Panel Applet, to configure the Graphics card, but it
| appears to me to be set up correctly.
|
| Can anyone help. Anyone seen this before
|
| Many Thanks
|
| Fred

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It is NOT in your best interest to download video drivers from the Microsoft
update site. ALWAYS get them from the appropriate manufacturer - motherboard
if built in or ATI, nVidea, etc.

"Fred" <hush@dontspamme.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This is our setup:
>
> Dell C400 Latitude Notebooks running XP Professional. Intel 82830M onboard
> graphics controller. Driver version is Intel 6.14.10.3762.
>
> We had no problems up until recently when we rolled out XP SP2. As part of
> this rollout, I used the Windows update site to fully update the OS of
> each machine. This included rolling out a new Intel driver from the
> Windowsupdate site, which left a stamp of "Intel(R) Extreme Graphics
> Driver" in Add/Remove programs.
>
> These laptops are now experiencing a strange problem. They are used both
> Docked and undocked. Previously there was no problem doing this, but since
> the upgrade listed above, the machoines cannot cope with being redocked
> gracefully.
>
> The users go off and use their Laptops undocked in a sales meeting, or at
> home, and when the redock back at the office, the monitor screen displays
> the WinXP loading screen, but at the blue Logon Screen, the monitor goes
> black. The only way to get the monitor to display is to move the monitor,
> lift the laptop lid, do Fn+F8 then close the lid. The machine then goes
> into standby. At this point, replacing the monitor and rebooting clears
> the problem.
>
> My question is this. Is there a problem with XP SP2 that anyone else has
> come across with the same symptoms, or is there a problem with the Intel
> (R) Extreme Graphics install from the Windows Update Site. This has put in
> an additional Control Panel Applet, to configure the Graphics card, but it
> appears to me to be set up correctly.
>
> Can anyone help. Anyone seen this before
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Fred

fred

Hi Carey and Jerry,

Thanks fo the info, I'll give it a go

Regards,

Fred

> It is NOT in your best interest to download video drivers from the
> Microsoft update site. ALWAYS get them from the appropriate manufacturer -
> motherboard if built in or ATI, nVidea, etc.
>
> "Fred" <hush@dontspamme.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is our setup:
>>
>> Dell C400 Latitude Notebooks running XP Professional. Intel 82830M
>> onboard graphics controller. Driver version is Intel 6.14.10.3762.
>>
>> We had no problems up until recently when we rolled out XP SP2. As part
>> of this rollout, I used the Windows update site to fully update the OS of
>> each machine. This included rolling out a new Intel driver from the
>> Windowsupdate site, which left a stamp of "Intel(R) Extreme Graphics
>> Driver" in Add/Remove programs.
>>
>> These laptops are now experiencing a strange problem. They are used both
>> Docked and undocked. Previously there was no problem doing this, but
>> since the upgrade listed above, the machoines cannot cope with being
>> redocked gracefully.
>>
>> The users go off and use their Laptops undocked in a sales meeting, or at
>> home, and when the redock back at the office, the monitor screen displays
>> the WinXP loading screen, but at the blue Logon Screen, the monitor goes
>> black. The only way to get the monitor to display is to move the monitor,
>> lift the laptop lid, do Fn+F8 then close the lid. The machine then goes
>> into standby. At this point, replacing the monitor and rebooting clears
>> the problem.
>>
>> My question is this. Is there a problem with XP SP2 that anyone else has
>> come across with the same symptoms, or is there a problem with the Intel
>> (R) Extreme Graphics install from the Windows Update Site. This has put
>> in an additional Control Panel Applet, to configure the Graphics card,
>> but it appears to me to be set up correctly.
>>
>> Can anyone help. Anyone seen this before
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>
>> Fred

dmf

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

You are not alone in the world ... and it's not confined to XP SP2
either. I've got the same situation going on with a WIn2K SP4 C400.

David

"Fred" <hush@dontspamme.com> wrote in message news:<OREQAshqEHA.3700@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Hi,
>
> This is our setup:
>
> Dell C400 Latitude Notebooks running XP Professional. Intel 82830M onboard
> graphics controller. Driver version is Intel 6.14.10.3762.
>
> We had no problems up until recently when we rolled out XP SP2. As part of
> this rollout, I used the Windows update site to fully update the OS of each
> machine. This included rolling out a new Intel driver from the Windowsupdate
> site, which left a stamp of "Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Driver" in Add/Remove
> programs.
>
> These laptops are now experiencing a strange problem. They are used both
> Docked and undocked. Previously there was no problem doing this, but since
> the upgrade listed above, the machoines cannot cope with being redocked
> gracefully.
>
> The users go off and use their Laptops undocked in a sales meeting, or at
> home, and when the redock back at the office, the monitor screen displays
> the WinXP loading screen, but at the blue Logon Screen, the monitor goes
> black. The only way to get the monitor to display is to move the monitor,
> lift the laptop lid, do Fn+F8 then close the lid. The machine then goes into
> standby. At this point, replacing the monitor and rebooting clears the
> problem.
>
> My question is this. Is there a problem with XP SP2 that anyone else has
> come across with the same symptoms, or is there a problem with the Intel (R)
> Extreme Graphics install from the Windows Update Site. This has put in an
> additional Control Panel Applet, to configure the Graphics card, but it
> appears to me to be set up correctly.
>
> Can anyone help. Anyone seen this before
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Fred

dmf

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Got it ....

I should have noticed earlier than I had an earlier BIOS. I updated
to A12 and it now works optimally!

David