Question Intel 8700k OC 1.42v for 5ghz Not as dangerous as people think.

swoo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
That's a statement, not a question so be mindful of that folks. I more so wanted to open a dialogue about voltages you push through your CPU's to hit certain frequencies. For some reason many people think that a majority of OC'ers can hit the golden 5.0ghz at 1.35vs or less. It is my opinion that anything less that 1.35v would be a lottery item and the exception rather than the rule as I see so much on this forum as well as others. I think too many people look at the voltages alone and not enough of them actually looks at the temps under load which is what matters. I think a majority of chips out there for the 8700k for example, will need 1.38-1.42 from what I can tell, in order to run a 5ghz OC. I can push my own chip at 1.42v for 5ghz and run 35 degrees Celsius at idle with 75 degrees under top load during Prime95. I am sure most people would tell me to step my frequency down to 4.8-4.9 to back the voltages down but I honestly wont worry too much about it. I got the absolute crap side of the lottery as I cant get a stable 5ghz at less than 1.4v and it becomes most stable at 1.42v.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? I know there will be people who say that you will degrade the chip over time running at that high of a voltage and perhaps that holds true. But if it takes roughly 3-5 years to become crippled, wouldn't it be time to upgrade the processor anyway?

I welcome all discussion and thoughts on the matter. You are all awesome people.

WildCard999

Titan
I know there will be people who say that you will degrade the chip over time running at that high of a voltage and perhaps that holds true. But if it takes roughly 3-5 years to become crippled, wouldn't it be time to upgrade the processor anyway?

I welcome all discussion and thoughts on the matter. You are all awesome people.
Depends on the persons use. I still see a decent amount of people who use first/second gen i7's and pushing a CPU above the recommended max voltage for an extra 100 or 200mhz, which would make little difference in gaming, doesn't make sense to me if it were to lower the lifespan to around 5 years or less when a well taken care of CPU should last significantly longer.

Reactions: PC Tailor

swoo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
Depends on the persons use. I still see a decent amount of people who use first/second gen i7's and pushing a CPU above the recommended max voltage for an extra 100 or 200mhz, which would make little difference in gaming, doesn't make sense to me if it were to lower the lifespan to around 5 years or less when a well taken care of CPU should last significantly longer.

Very valid point. I suppose I didn't think about the folks who retain their OC'ed older gen processors. While I can't speak for the spec sheets for the older generations, for the 8th Gen 8700k Intel themselves state a max voltage of 1.52v. While obviously you should never push you chip to that level of voltage unless you have some serious cooling (and even still...), to me 1.4v isn't a big deal and shouldn't degrade the chip as much as people think. Essentially my argument is that the whole "keep your voltage at or below 1.35" is probably outdated now and in many cases might scare away people trying to hit 5ghz for fear of burning up their hardware.

Avx instructions on small ffts is absolutely unrealistic and isn't needed. I'd say for a heat test small ffts without avx is good enough.

Good post OP. People say 1.4v as a max due to a few things.

1. Being overly safe. Just to insure noticable degredation never happens.

2. Nobody tests degredation of chips. Which makes max voltage a guessing game.

Reactions: swoo

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... 8700k ... my own chip ... 1.42v ... 5ghz ... 35 degrees Celsius at idle ... 75 degrees ... top load during Prime95 ...

Respectfully, based on the information given, I don't see how that's possible.

Many users tend to fling numbers around like Gorilla poo in a cage, without providing the background details such as ambient temperature to support their claims. Without the details, load and idle Core temperatures have no point of reference. Please fill in the blanks and be more specific:

Ambient temperature?

Cooling?

Delidded?

Prime95 version?

Torture test?

AVX?

AVX Offset?

Power consumption (watts)?

• Silicon Lottery: Historical Binning Statistics - https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

swoo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
@swoo, Is that 75ºC with Prime95 v29.8, small FFT test, with AVX2 enabled, for 15 mins?
If yes, that is a Hell of a chip you've got there.
So, to answer your question @alceryes, yes. That was 30 mins of Prime95 with the above specifications with 1.42v for 5ghz. However, after making this post this morning I wondered if my Ram was causing some destabilization. My ram I used under the above specs was a pair of Ballistix 2400mhz 16GB (2x8GB). My system would crash just trying to boot up until I got to about 1.38v and then wouldn't be 100% stable running stress tests until 1.42v. After work I purchased a set of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB @ 3000mhz 16GB (2 x 8GB). After installing the new ram and running an XMP profile (which bumps that Corsair from 2400mhz to 3000mhz, I could boot as low as 1.30v (though not remotely stable). I haven't done extensive testing but I know for sure I can run all stress tests at 1.38v now and be stable after 30 mins. Obviously my temps have lowered since pulling back from 1.42v. Was pretty cool! Idk why I didn't think of the Ram as being something that could hold back an OC but I did.

swoo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
Ambient temperature?

Cooling?

Delidded?

Prime95 version?

Torture test?

AVX?

AVX Offset?

Power consumption (watts)?

Silicon Lottery: Historical Binning Statistics - https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics
To answer your question in order of asks: I have a portable ac unit in my gaming room which when its cools off sits between 72-74 which is close to the 72 that intel assumes when conducting their tests.

I ran the blend test which should be all the above and yes I ran it with AVX (even though I 100% find this test to be woefully unrealistic because nothing you will do normally should come close to stressing your cpu this much).

I don't plan to run past 5ghz but if I were to try for 5.1+ I would delid but I don't believe 5ghz and below requires delidding.

My cooling is the Corsair 240mm H100I Pro.