News Intel 9th Gen Coffee Lake CPU Pricing Plummets

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I'm running a z-390E with an i9-9900k and was gonna grab a 3080/90 whenever they come available. I wasn't planning on upgrading my cpu and mobo for a good amount of time, and I'm sure this hardware is gonna last my use for the forseeable future for 4k gaming. Is there anything I should be worried about, considering the "dying LG1151" statement? I think the PCIE 4.0 upgrade regarding the new 3000 series GPUs, the only benefit would be the I/O speed loading thing?
But like, how much faster is it gonna be? Because right now my system is running pretty snappy.

@Phaaze88 "even some of the cheapest Z board are bad with this cpu "
Am I bottlenecking my CPU with my mobo?

logainofhades

Titan
I'm running a z-390E with an i9-9900k and was gonna grab a 3080/90 whenever they come available. I wasn't planning on upgrading my cpu and mobo for a good amount of time, and I'm sure this hardware is gonna last my use for the forseeable future for 4k gaming. Is there anything I should be worried about, considering the "dying LG1151" statement? I think the PCIE 4.0 upgrade regarding the new 3000 series GPUs, the only benefit would be the I/O speed loading thing?
But like, how much faster is it gonna be? Because right now my system is running pretty snappy.

@Phaaze88 "even some of the cheapest Z board are bad with this cpu "
Am I bottlenecking my CPU with my mobo?

For the 3000 series, I doubt PCI-E 3 will hold them back much, if at all. Your motherboard should be fine, if you are not going for max overclocks. Games don't really benefit from fast PCI-E 3.0 drives now, so faster storage isn't a concern, for a gaming centric rig. Your platform is now technically a dead socket, but it's still plenty for gaming, and should be for a good while yet. It basically equivalent to a 10700k. It's just you will have no upgrade path, now, without changing motherboard. Realistically, by the time you probably need an upgrade, Intel and AMD will be on totally different platforms, and probably using DDR5.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
So you are calling Steve, at GN, a liar then? He literally found in his testing, the 9600k had frametime variance issues, making its performance inconsistent. The R5 3600 did not have said issues. Why do you keep defending a CPU that simply isn't superior in anything needing more than 6c/6t. Many games do not need such resources. I almost bought a 9600k myself, as I really didn't need a 3700x, for my gaming needs. I literally only play WoW. I bought my 3700x for F@H performance, more than anything. My previous chip was a 6700k. The 3700x crushes either chip, for what I wanted it for, without breaking the bank.
Ok, you accused me of saying something I never said, and then you made a whole paragraph counter arguing that point. I don't have direct response to any of this because I'm not wasting my time arguing things I was never trying to say.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
3900x doesn't game much different than a 3600, because 99.99999% of games cannot make use of that many cores/threads. Anything over an 8c/16t CPU is a waste of gaming is your only goal. Project Cars 3 and Flight Simulator are new, yes, but they are not very well threaded, and rely more on single core performance.

Using less than 20% of a 3950x.
And that's exactly the point. Games inherently are not heavily threaded, so you don't need 16 cores to game since most of them are going to be sitting around doing nothing and this is why a 6 core cpu with much faster cores almost always ends up in front.

Last edited:
@spongiemaster you quoted Unolocogringo who said
It also has more consistent frame rates. With higher minimum frame rates ,which is a more enjoyable experience.
It does not matter if its max is 15% better if its minimum is also 15% worse. The hiccups and stutters distract from the overall experience.
You said
Just stop with the false information already.
You most definitely said that he was wrong. There is no way around that.

By saying and that the fact the 3600 has more stable framreates is "false information" you are disagreeing with his point in addition to several experts such as Steve Burke who say the same thing.

Yes, the lows are not worse in those games. This is correct. However, these results give a very limited scope of the actual performance of the 9600k, as they do not include any of the titles where it has issues.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F92byoMgptU

Steve says in his review of the chip, the framerate graphs and 99% graphs are "of limited usefulness" and you have to look at a frametime plot to see the issue.

Just look at this:
View: https://imgur.com/Jiom0WX

The 8700k 6c12t chip as a very smooth experience, but the 9600k has many spikes in frametimes, some to over a tenth of a second. This is noticeable and a 3600 which is on par with an 8700k will not have these issues. Again, this is in modern games, and moving forward the issue will only get worse and worse with newer titles.

No, the frame time issues are not 15% worse, they are actually 10x as bad in some cases, such as the above where the 3600 never goes much above 10ms but the 9600k spikes to over 100ms repeatedly.

I don't care if a CPU gets the same framerate out of the box and still a single digit average fps lead when BOTH are overclocked, if it has game breaking stutter where at times the framerate dips to 1/10th of the 3600.

Reactions: Phaaze88

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Wait a sec. I thought there were very marginal benefits to having a 3080 vs 2080 Ti and other cards at 1080p?

Uhh, no. Depends on what you play.

See image below. Best way to make that 3080 run like a 2070 Super is to pair it with an AMD Ryzen.

This chart shows a 2070 Super with a 9900k (TPUs normal test suite) beating an AMD 3900XT with a 3080 by about 5% (4.6fps) running Borderlands 3 at 1080p. The 3080 with a 10900K is actually beating the 3900XT by ~13fps or almost 16%.

That is not a trivial difference in a game that is getting under 100fps on most setups.

QiBjLsb.jpg

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
Uhh, no. Depends on what you play.

See image below. Best way to make that 3080 run like a 2070 Super is to pair it with an AMD Ryzen.

This chart shows a 2070 Super with a 9900k (TPUs normal test suite) beating an AMD 3900XT with a 3080 by about 5% (4.6fps) running Borderlands 3 at 1080p. The 3080 with a 10900K is actually beating the 3900XT by ~13fps or almost 16%.

That is not a trivial difference in a game that is getting under 100fps on most setups.

QiBjLsb.jpg
Uhhh, I think you just proved my point. I'm not talking about AMD vs. Intel (I'm not getting pulled into that, lol). My point is that like TH pointed out, the RTX 3080, 3090, and even 2080 Ti are not good for 1080p. I mean, how much faster is the 3080 than the 2080 Super? Something like almost 2x as fast? 70% faster? And yet, how much faster is it? <1 frame.

Uhhh, I think you just proved my point. I'm not talking about AMD vs. Intel (I'm not getting pulled into that, lol). My point is that like TH pointed out, the RTX 3080, 3090, and even 2080 Ti are not good for 1080p. I mean, how much faster is the 3080 than the 2080 Super? Something like almost 2x as fast? 70% faster? And yet, how much faster is it? <1 frame.
Not quite that much faster. However clearly not gpu bound much at all with either card.

Reactions: Shadowclash10

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

Maybe we got wires crossed, I think you responded to a series of posts about AMD CPU going CPU limited with the new 3000 series Nvidia cards.

Anyway, my answer to that is again is it depends on what you're playing whether you see any difference at 1080p with the different GPUs - but a lot of the newer games, you see big differences.

For example if you have a 9900k a 3080 you'll see 40%+ higher fps and just enough to make use of a 120hz refresh rate vs 2080 Super :

j6CmTxz.jpg

Just look at this:
View: https://imgur.com/Jiom0WX

The 8700k 6c12t chip as a very smooth experience, but the 9600k has many spikes in frametimes, some to over a tenth of a second. This is noticeable and a 3600 which is on par with an 8700k will not have these issues.
Are you also one of the people that claim that 1080 resolution is dead?!
This is with a 2080ti and they had to go to 1080 MEDIUM to provoke these spikes...
If you have to try really really hard to get spikes then they become irrelevant.