Intel 9th Gen CPUs Are Great...if You Can Find Them

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

So you want to pay another 50% for HT over a 9700k for a 30% performance difference, but then turn it off? Yes, you may do that. Intel will be pleased.

These heat issues are busting me up. AIOs boiler over. People turning off HT after paying i5 money just for that feature after it was stripped from i7. A poorly designed, vulnerable feature at that. The 9900k is like old, fat Elvis.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
*[Like I said. Some will have difficulty grasping my point]

@REDGARL:
I could resort to calling you colorful adjectives or names as you did to me, but I will not. No need. I know logic, and what I said is sound and correct. I will simply reply with more facts.
I already have the Z390 motherboard and custom cooling that I need for a i9 9900k build - so this point you tried to make is academic. As for power consumption - It is not an issue or a concern for me either as I have a 1000w Platinum SeaSonic PSU that I am certain is up to the task. Again, moot point. I'm not saying this proc does not exceed the rated TDP spec of 95w or isn't power hungry. It's been proven by several reviewers that it is indeed very power hungry. I'm simply saying it is not a problem for me.

Finally - regardless of price, the Threadripper is a not a direct competitor for the i9 9900K. The i9 9900K is billed as an enthusiast class gaming processor. In Intel's words it is the "Best gaming processor in the world." Seems a little grandiose and unnecessary for Intel to have made such a claim (especially in light of PT's boggled testing methodology), but it is still apparently accurate, if even only by a small margin in certain instances. But I digress as my point is the i9 9900k is not part of Intel's HEDT line (which would be TR's direct competition along with Intel's Xeons). The Threadripper is not designed primarily as a gaming processor. Of course it can game, but if you bought a TR just to build a gaming rig, well....lets just say there are certainly better options from AMD for that. This is why AMD has a specific mode for Threadripper (gaming mode as opposed to it's creator mode) to disable cores so that the proc may function more proficiently as a gaming processor. In other words, TR simply does not perform well in games unless modified from its default state.

But enough said. It's late so let's leave it at that. We agree that we disagree.

Jun 29, 2018
The i9 9900k should be the i7 9700k with $380 price tag. IMO. You cant Justify paying $520 for a gaming CPU. what soever.

and in case of non gaming PC and workstations , the TR4 AMD CPUs win over it price wise.

FreyjasChosen

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I'm in the same boat as The Original Ralph. I pre-ordered an i9-9900k on October 8th, assuming a preorder meant it would ship the day it was released. It's now the 24th and all it says it out of stock. Meanwhile, I've got a case, power supply, RAM and motherboard just sitting here doing nothing waiting for it to arrive. Whatever's causing these companies to be unable to meet the demand (I'm still waiting for a 2080 Ti to get in stock), it's losing goodwill for them on my part.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I bet this is a pretty common story. The same thing happened to me back in 2008. I pre-ordered a Core 2 Quad Q9450 and had to wait a quite a while after it launched to get it. Meanwhile I had a pile of hardware sitting around growing gradually more obsolete.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
@hapkiman...the question on price doesn't even have to be an "AMD vs. Intel" discussion, it can simply be an "Intel vs. Intel" discussion.

You say you already have the X390 motherboard & custom loop cooling solution for an i9-9700K...OK, that means your motherboard is also not only compatible with the i7-8700K, but also the i7-9700K. Both of those chips show that, for the extra $100-150USD you'd spend on the i9, you'll get almost no noticeable difference in performance. From TH's own review (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-13.html), at stock the 9900K managed half a frame better in-game performance; when OCd to 5GHz, the 9900K only averaged one frame better in-game performance than an 8700K OC'd to 4.9GHz (hint: based on the performance, that actually translates to lower IPC for the 9900K than the 8700K; the former gets 21.02FPS per GHz, the latter gets 21.22FPS per GHz). And that's even assuming that your custom loop will manage to reach 5.0GHz (no guarantees, remember). And since both results are only a 1% difference, that's enough within margin of error that you could potentially see a 9900K perform worse in your system.

So...again...what is the justification you're using for paying the extra money for the i9, when the same-gen i7 -- or even the prior-gen top-line i7 -- provides identical gaming performance, when you can't even guarantee you'll get "top performance" bragging rights?

johnrob

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
I'm hoping this pricing is intel being a dick and not tariffs causing chaos in the pc component world...

I feel like I might be paying $3000 for a 2700x/rtx2080 build instead of not being able to afford an i9/2080ti build in a few months when I actually have enough money saved up.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Ill be glad to tell you my justification @SPDRAGOO for paying extra money for the i9. The justification is that I want to buy it, and its my money. And I don't worry about bragging rights.

Also I will use the additional cores/threads of the i9 9900K. I did say it is the best gaming processor. But I never said I was using it exclusively for gaming. I'm not.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Threadripper is amazing for threaded work, and an amazing value at that. But it can't game or handle lightly-threaded work as good as the i9. The 2700X is one of the best value CPUs around, but it's slower than the i9. For these people, it is actually a good buy. Let them have the chips they want, please :) (also, it's more Ryzen for us)

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador

That's fine. We're not saying that you can't spend the money, & if no one else that has any input or controls in your personal finances asks you why you want to spend more money than what's necessary, that's your call.

But to say that "it's not for bragging rights", when that's the only reason to buy a more expensive CPU that doesn't provide any benefit (either from a performance or compatibility perspective) over the less expensive model, is nothing but pure, unadulterated denial.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Actually I think the disagreement is entirely on one side of the "discussion" and I wish you hadn't dignified it with another response after your first, perfectly well crafted and salient post. I appreciate that you're secure enough in your choices and decisions that you don't need to disparage others, which, frankly, the more you see and read the more you wonder who they're REALLY trying to convince.

Anyway, since I'm sending a reply to you now I would like to expand, on a productive note, to something else you observed....that history shows with firmware improvements new Intel proc's show even better gains over time then the ~5% to 10% they show now.

There's probably something to that*, but even more then that what I think happens is that game developers, who have to code and optimize for processors which are most common at the time, end up coding for the number of cores one or two generations back.

What this means longer term for the i9 is that eventually more of the cores gets multiplied by higher frequencies... .so that the 400 to 700Mhz x2 or x4 core speed advantage it enjoys today, will turn into a 400 to 700Mhz x6 or x8 core advantage in the future.

In short, I expect the i9's ~5% to 10% gaming benchmark advantage to expand in future games versus silicon with a contemporary release. This will become even more pronounced as the threshold at which systems become GPU bound is raised, making CPU deficiencies more revealing and explicit.

Lastly, people talk about saving money, but when you have to upgrade in 3 or 4 years instead of 5 or 6, then it becomes a false economy.

-----
*In fact it's already happening: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390%20Taichi%20Ultimate/index.us.asp#BIOS

Oct 24, 2018
@ROBERTXESCHER
... meanwhile my games run just fine on i7-7700k and GeForce 1060 ...
LOL! I was thinking and the games I play run on a optiplex 760 with a core 2 duo generation 3rd to 5th

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

LOL

You did very good in 1) not sinking to the OP's level, and 2) explaining your situation. Keyword: YOUR situation. What Intel is offering is appealing to YOU. That's all that matters, and Intel can take that revenue from that new i9 chip you buy to the bank. AMD fanboys will get over it.

Did you read his comment? He already said he would not only be buying it for gaming. Go back and read those video editing charts again of the 9900k vs. 9700k. Oh let's make more sense now and just dump the Z370 chipset he has and go AMD TR now and likely have to dump his DDR4 as well since Ryzen chipsets are still testy on memory in second generation.

Yeah, THAT makes sense. If you have a ground up new build of course, that's an entirely different argument. But that was neither his argument nor situation.

as far as doing something for other than bragging rights, people do it all the time. I modified a 2004 VW R32 with an HPA Turbo kit, taking it up to 414 HP, 381 ft/lbs, and even removed the R32 emblem from the trunk lid. I wanted a sleeper car

Jun 29, 2018

You dont get it do you ?

People like you help Intel increase the prices . When we say the price is not justified we are right in performance per dollar ratio. we know there are Rich people who dont care.

BUT , If all the people boycott the non justified high prices , and the demand becomes low , intel will be forced to lower the prices to normal levels.

we dont care if you spend $10000 on it or even if you spend that money on a chewing gum, but we care that Monopolies feel the pressure from the customers when they ask very high for nothing that justifies it.

First what performance per dollar ratio do you put on something that you can't achieve with anything else?You can't get the same performance with a zen or any other system no matter how much money you put into it.

Secondly for the people that are not rich, intel's CPUs start at $50 while the cheapest ZEN CPU starts at about $110