Intel Accelerates Core i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Let me get this straight...

They make marginal clock speed increases, that could be achieved through Overclocking, and they expect this to be worth our time, much less, even more of our money?

I better be seeing some price cuts.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Or what? You'll curl up in a ball and cry about it?[/citation]
No, I'll buy a cheaper model for a third of the price, OC it, then get the same performance.

Like computerninja7823, I think they could be pursuing new technologies and implementations, rather than repackaging than same model, with a variance that could be easily achieved by anyone who actually wanted it. It seems like a large waste of resources.

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Have you been following CPUs very long?

How many Quad and Dual core processors has Intel released in 100mhz increments over the last three years? I'm only surprised that they're releasing just two more.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Let me get this straight...They make marginal clock speed increases, that could be achieved through Overclocking, and they expect this to be worth our time, much less, even more of our money?I better be seeing some price cuts.[/citation]
Technically, since they are releasing these faster processors at the same prices as the previous models, you can consider that a price cut.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]squatchman[/nom]Have you been following CPUs very long? How many Quad and Dual core processors has Intel released in 100mhz increments over the last three years? I'm only surprised that they're releasing just two more.[/citation]
Sure, but there are usually other improvements. Lower TDPs, More Cache, something that the end user can't easily achieve.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jrivera04[/nom]They need to stop changing sockets!The 1366 should last at least as long as the 775.[/citation]
LGA 1366 isn't going anywhere. LGA 1160 is going to be for lower to mid ranged systems. And what I've heard of LGA 1567, it's going to be for servers, but intel may never implement it with the little news I've heard about it.

[citation][nom]dynasonic[/nom]Let's break out the rulers and drop our trousers... that's the only way we can settle this semantic squabble.[/citation]
I don't remember there being a squabble over semantics.

zedx

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Well I was expecting something like Qx9650 Q9650 and Q9550. I'll wait some more time for the news... I hope that 940 comes down to $300 at least. Or a similar Lynnfield be available at $300...

zedx

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Or I hope the 32nm quad / hexa core mainstream comes fast at about Q1 2010 so that I would dump my P4(yeah P4 1500mhz) finally...

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]zedx[/nom]Well I was expecting something like Qx9650 Q9650 and Q9550.[/citation]
That was my expectation aswell.

We saw the Q6600 - Q9300 - Q9550

I don't ever remember any of the Core 2 line that added multiple processors that were just differently clocked versions of old processors.

Im thinking its an Anonymous Move Delayed due to competition, or AMD for short, but yeah, I remember all those C2D moves in higher clocks by 200 Mhz, or whatever, ..... no wait, on the other hnad, theyve never done this since C2D, have they? Hmmmm

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jaydeejohn[/nom]Im thinking its an Anonymous Move Delayed due to competition, or AMD for short, but yeah, I remember all those C2D moves in higher clocks by 200 Mhz, or whatever, ..... no wait, on the other hnad, theyve never done this since C2D, have they? Hmmmm[/citation]

Name 3 different instances where an Old Core 2 was re-released (after the initial releases) just with a higher clock speed.

rocketw31

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
From my understanding, these new chips are being released to introduce a new stepping. This new stepping will allow air overclocks to approach 4.5 GHz easily.

This thread is full of crap. People obviously can't read. 1366 isn't going away, but obviously a different socket is going to be needed for an IG solution.

No one is holding a gun to your head and saying that you have to be cutting edge, so quit your pisspants crybaby routine and spare me the drama.

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
The Allendale and Wolfdale series chips were all basically the same. Intel just raised the multiplier and shipped it like new every 4-6 months. If you check, they also did the same with Yorkfield. I don't like to differentiate by stepping, because you generally can't shop by that.

G

[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]I'm upgrading from my q6600 when 32nm comes out[/citation]
I'm upgrading from my Athlon XP 2600+ when 32nm comes out!

The animal still runs XP after 6 years of nearly 24/7 operation!

I think it'll be a pain to part! Perhaps I can switch it with the Nano platform,to not feel the overwhelming technological improvements of the last decennia!
How can I still make coffee in the mornings before my pc has booted up, if it boots within 50 seconds?
:)

No,serious, I'd probably rather want this newer technology over a Corei7,even if it appears to be lower in performance; I hope it's power savings will be more then obvious!
I myself am pretty satisfied with the performance of current core2duo processors and see no reason why I'd ever jump in the corei7 boat, unless I'd buy a demanding game...
Even then, crysis is not my thing, and there hasn't been a single game lacking in framerates on a Radeon 4850 connected to my 1280x1024 monitor.
And if there ever was, it probably runs on very high detail settings,which I no doubt could lower without missing too much eye candy!

It's nice to see though that Intel is continually moving forward (be it new versions of the chips, or their upcoming integrated CPU/GPU chip), while AMD unfortunately is still trying to figure out how to make a Quad Core CPU that's worth any money.

Nothing against AMD on a personal level, but they are just plain behind Intel right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.