Intel Accelerates Launch of Ivy Bridge by Almost 1 Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

These are only higher priced because the retailers are gouging to take advantage of the early supply they have. The MSRP for ivybridge is pretty much exactly the same as the comparable sandybridge processors.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I've been following a lot of user leaks who are testing Ivy Bridge CPU's on Z77 and if you didn't buy Sandy Bridge because you thought the 22nm would give you 5Ghz on air with easy your going to be bitterly disappointed.

From the results posted so far temps are a massive issue for the K models even at stock IB is 5-10c hotter then the SB chip it's replacing and once it gets clocked past 4.5ghz towards 4.7 temps are hitting the 90's even and that's on a Corsair H100 (see tweaktown Asrock Z77 review). It might be worth holding back 4 months to see if a new stepping from Intel addresses the heat issues if not you might as well get a Sandy Bridge CPU now while you can.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]jasonw223[/nom]I'm buying one. It's going to be sweet, and you'll all be jealous.[/citation]

you using a chip because of your need, not of a trend.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Awww... Intel, you can't make up for crappy temps by releasing the chips earilier... you have to actually FIX the problem. :( Do you guys think that SB might actually be... dare I say it... BETTER?

DoofusOfDeath

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
[citation][nom]DoofusOfDeath[/nom]Anyone know when Dell will be updating their Mobile Precision line of laptops (e.g., M6600) to have Sandy Bridge processors?[/citation]

Sorry, I meant when these laptop will have Ivy Bridge processors.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]I'm still hoping the final IB is better! 4.7GHz @ 1.36v / 98C ; assumption = fixed vCore - http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4 [...] ndex4.html4.8GHz @ 1.176v / 97C ; assumption = offset vCore - http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/ [...] ndex2.html[/citation]

Whats the difference between offset and fixed vcore? And he's running 1.36V through that! Damn, that's what I run on my CPU with 65nm transistors.

[citation][nom]derek2006[/nom]Whats the difference between offset and fixed vcore? And he's running 1.36V through that! Damn, that's what I run on my CPU with 65nm transistors.[/citation]
An Offset allows the voltage to drop as the load on the CPU drops; i.e. more efficient OC. There are Pros and Cons to both Fixed and Offset. Fixed adds greater stability to the OC but at the cost of throwing higher than needed voltage (temps and reduced lifespan), and generally a better option for running 'benchmarks'. Offset aides in reducing low-load voltage to the CPU which is perfectly fine, if stable, for more 'everyday' usage. Offset adds greater lifespan to the CPU and reduces the 'typical' load temps, but the trade-off is stability.

Everyone: "Wait for Ivy bridge; you'll get more performance and prices will come down."

Me: "Intel isn't going to lower prices because they know they have no competition and can do whatever they want, just like in 2008."

I can't tell you how many times I got beat up over that in the forums. Did we really not see this one coming?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
ivy bridge for laptops should come at the same time as with desktops, especially since most of the improvement will be on the laptop side.

Look at all of the articles on the improved performance and the performance per watt, all of that will be most beneficial on laptops, this could either mean closer to desktop like performance on a laptop, or current laptop performance at significantly less wattage (thus longer battery life)

but if it is going to be much more expensive then intel needs to cut back on the cocaine

Anyway sadly this is probably due to AMD being jerks and not coming out with new high end desktop CPU's, because of this intel has mo competition and are not going crazy with the pricing.

DoofusOfDeath

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Would love for Haswell to be available, if only because I'm waiting for the FMA3 operation it provides. But sadly, I can't force Intel to release it this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.