Intel & AMD Processor Hierarchy

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thats the same justification HWUnboxed uses but that really only matters for synthetic means. Actual numbers would be equally of use.
You asked a question. Not only did you get an answer, but you already were aware of the answer.
Now you're making it clear that you don't want the answer, but instead you want an explanation that YOU want, rather than reality.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
You asked a question. Not only did you get an answer, but you already were aware of the answer.
Now you're making it clear that you don't want the answer, but instead you want an explanation that YOU want, rather than reality.
Whatever mister hostility, you approached me. I'm free to give my opinion. If you don't like it, move along.

Not wasting my time reading any responses of yours so don't bother writing one.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Why no 4K?
maybe because this is a CPU hierarchy and not a GPU one ? maybe check the hierarchy for GPUs to get your answer. at 4k, that is more of a GPU limit then a cpu one.

either way, wether you like it or not King V was correct in his reply, nor was he being hostile to you.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
It's a common theme in almost every area. Take high-end stereo equipment for example. You can spend 10x the money for 5% improvement. People buy high-end usually because they can. To some people, none of the highest-performing CPUs are worth the price. To others, price does not matter. For those people, the fastest gaming CPU is not actually the 5800X3D.
Actually at some salary income per hour it makes sense to just buy the best CPU on the market. If your buying decision usually takes 12 hours for the price-optimized cpu over a three year product-life period, then if you earn $50/hr, you can afford the extra $600 for the very best CPU and RAM and mobo if you skip the 12hr CPU selection process and just buy the best, saving 12 hours of researching, googling, looking at articles, reading forums, etc. With the best product it probably lasts 3.5 or 4 years so you'd more than break even ...

Last edited:

psxlover

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
There seems to be an error in "2023 Multi-Threaded CPU Benchmarks". It contains two 7950x3d entries, the second one listed as 12 core. Also 7900x3d isn't listed, but the wrong 7950x3d entry can't be a misnamed 7900x3d entry because it's got a higher score than 7900x.

May 24, 2023
Here is a resource to help you judge if a CPU is a reasonable value: The gaming CPU hierarchy chart groups CPUs with similar performance.

Intel & AMD Processor Hierarchy : Read more
Wonderful resource, but I was really disappointed to see that the i3-12100 (or 12100F) is missing from these charts. Especially since the i3-10100, and i3-8100, for instance, are present...I have an i3-12100F, thanks to your article "Little Gaming Giant", and I would really like to see how it stacks up to others.

Still, it is wonderful as is. Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Both the i3-12100 and i3-13100F are represented in the charts. Third to last row and fourth to last row. Also appears on the main charts and single threaded charts.

They are missing on some of the oldest charts, but the relative performance compared to their contemporaries is certainly there.

ubronan

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
LoL i did not know a 78000X3D existed and costing 669 $
Maybe i am crazy but it does not compute, fix the wrong price and make it an existing cpu

Jun 15, 2023
Here is a resource to help you judge if a CPU is a reasonable value: The gaming CPU hierarchy chart groups CPUs with similar performance.

Intel & AMD Processor Hierarchy : Read more
Toms Hardware a source for Windows users only. Too bad. AMD and Linux have been a constant presence in High Performance computing. Always overlooked by Toms Hardware always will. Toms will not invest in Personnel who are Linux and High Performance Computing knowledgeable. Many single users are now build HPC single systems and enjoying development in many areas of High Performance computing. I would like to see Toms venture into Linpacs, and performance monitoring to include Networking and Message Passing Interfaces. I understand it will take time. You can get into really interisting subjects like module tuning both bound within the kernel and outside of the kernel.

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
TomsHardware, you might want to look at the second set of graphs (Windows 10 ) on page 2. It seems as if either the bars for Team Blue and Team Red are mixed up, or the bars shifted up one, and now no longer algin with the corresponding CPU. Example: Intel CPU's next to a red (AMD color) performance bar.

Reactions: Order 66
Dec 14, 2023
How is it possible that in newer test Intel Core i9 13900K scores 162 (first chart Average FPS (Geomean) Entire Test Suite 1080p Windows 11) while in older test (2nd page of article, first chart) it scores 212? 50fps less new vs old seems a lot of difference to me (considered that header of graph says exactly the same).
Other CPU present in both graphs show similar big difference of fps

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
How is it possible that in newer test Intel Core i9 13900K scores 162 (first chart Average FPS (Geomean) Entire Test Suite 1080p Windows 11) while in older test (2nd page of article, first chart) it scores 212? 50fps less new vs old seems a lot of difference to me (considered that header of graph says exactly the same).
Other CPU present in both graphs show similar big difference of fps
Difference between 99th percentile and full average I would assume.

Also the non-overclocked result was 200.

Clariska

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012
I have an i5-3570. I have previously been told that an upgrade to (for example) an i7-8700K would see a significant improvement and would be well worth the investment. This article seems to say the exact opposite.

I presently have a 1920x1080 monitor and GTX960 GPU. My system is used for general office applications, surfing and limited gaming (WoW, with an intention to switch to Elite: Dangerous shortly).
I replaced my Ryzen 5 with an i5 3340 as I just use my pc for web design. I am planning to go big later down the line but for now i am good. For me it goes about use and price to performance. If I wanted to build my own new system now, The specs I want will cost me over 15k South African Rand. I got this I5 with 16gb ram which can oc to 2133mhz and rx470 for around R1500 in my currency. Obviously the Ryzen will kill it but not on a price to performance bases.

Jan 29, 2024
I truly appreciate these kinds of consistently-updated metrics. I have long been an AMD fan, and it's time to replace my Ryzan 7 machine. Does anyone have any experience running WSL2 on Windows 11 on AMD chips? My older machine had occasional WSL crashes, but that was a chip from 2018 and Windows 10. Thank you in advance to anyone who's had any experience that might shed some light for me.