Intel and Micron Announce 20nm NAND Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]JerseyFirefighter[/nom]Good, make the old ssd's cheaper plz.[/citation]
The old ones still cost more to make, do not get your hopes up

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
They are more expensive to make, but then again they'll have to compete with the new generation products. That's when prices will go down.

Same with basically every other electronic device, really.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]trandoanhung1991[/nom]They are more expensive to make, but then again they'll have to compete with the new generation products. That's when prices will go down.Same with basically every other electronic device, really.[/citation]

It's intel and they generally don't play by that rulebook, at least in their CPUs/Mobos.

We've been uttering that same phrase for years now. Prices are still very high when it comes to SSDs. It'll take a while before we see prices drop significantly. =(

G

Tom's is slipping I see this stuff pop up on gaming sites almost a week before.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Ahh miniaturization, will it never cease to amaze? Still though I don't see magnetic hard drives being being surpassed in the cost per gigabyte metric by SSD's in the future. That is of course only if HDD manufacturers continue to develop their technology...

Sunburn74

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]BillyDogThorton[/nom]Tom's is slipping I see this stuff pop up on gaming sites almost a week before.[/citation]

Not really. Considering that the latest generation of SSDs are going for about $1.75 a gig, and older generations for even less (agility level drives go for about $1 a gig) prices have definitely dropped significantly.

Here's something to chew on: when the intel x-25m g1 80gb was first released, it sold at $600 a drive. I bought my X-25m g1 80gb for $175 2 years ago. The current price is even cheaper if you look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.