Intel Announces 'Sandy Bridge' Xeon E7 10-cores

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Wow VDI just became more cost effective with the upgrades of a solid state drive NAS and an 8 socket server hosting 160 threads with 200+gb of ram. Now we just need cost effective 10GoE network to support it and kiss the workstation goodbye!

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
[citation][nom]flowingbass[/nom]1000 10core CPUs for the price of ONLY $4,616??? Cmon people do the math!!! THATS FREAKING CHEAP!That BEATS THE CRAP OUT OF core-i7 990x 6core cpu for 1000$ you'd only get 4 cpus with 6 cores/12 threads each. But for the server side, you get 1000 cpus with 10 cores/20 threads each!!!!It comes out each E7-8870 cpu is worth 4.6$ what a STEAL!!!![/citation]

I really hope you were joking! its 4600$ per cpu. so when u order 1000 cpus, its 4.6 million$. but seriously, LOL @ "4.6$ per cpu" ahaha

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I can't think of any reason why you would need so many cores, anything that needs that many cores for visual, animation and physics is better off using a GPU for anyway.Please, tell me what use of so many cores really is.On a side complaint, $4600 for a CPU when ordered in batches of 1000+?Intel would be making a BUCKET load off each CPU.Business as usual.[/citation]

As many have mentioned, use of so many cores is prevalent in server fields and animation/multimedia fields, but there's also a heavy use of parallel power in computational fluid dynamics and finite element analysis codes for engineering purposes. Along with those two fields, there's dozens of smaller fields (controls and stability analysis) that can use applications like MATLAB to use thousands of cores and can eat hundreds of gigabytes of memory for breakfast.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
If I had a boatload of cash to waste id totally buy one. Then again, I'm not Bill Gates, so I clearly can't afford one. $4,600 is how much my current gaming rig costs...

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
One of the most demanding "niches" for more cores is the VM usage. AMD has shown rather impressive numbers in terms of performance and cost per server with their Magny-Cours (8 and 12 cores), which is getting outdated.

Even if Intel disappoints us they'll lead AMD to drop prices and that's the best part of the game.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hotmetals37[/nom]Check your facts, Tom's! These E7 processors are built on "previous generation" architecture. Here's the link from Intel to prove it:http://newsroom.intel.com/communit [...] -c1-265964[/citation]
thanks for the look up i knew something was wrong with this story when i saw the 105w-130w TDP.
3 Up to 2.8x scaling transaction improvement claim based on internal OLTP benchmark comparing next-generation Intel® Xeon® processor E7-4870 (30M cache, 2.40GHz, 6.40GT/s Intel® QPI, codenamed “Westmere-EX”) scoring 2.73M transactions (leading database vendor) to X5680 (12M cache, 3.33GHz, 6.40GT/s Intel QPI, formerly codenamed “Westmere-EP”) scoring 970K transactions. Source: Intel SSG TR#1120.
guess Intel is going to hold off on sandy stuff while AMD is still one gen behind even these. over priced and obsolete, but still better then anything AMD's got on the market atm so they're going to charge and arm and a leg for it!

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]mikroland[/nom]HYPER-V BABY[/citation]
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]When you read the article using your eyes to see, and your brain to interpret the letters, you see, at the end of the very first sentence, that it is aimed at business applications, specifically, "high-end computing applications, including business intelligence, real-time data analytics and virtualization." Do you need instructions on how to read the paragraphs that follow, reiterating and detailing this?[/citation]
Virtualization sure but Business Intelligence and Data Analysis applications gain more from faster cores.

verbalizer

Distinguished

I sent him a PM..

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
The microarchitecture of these server processors isn’t Sandybridge, it is Westmere-EX (and that’s for the 10 core E7 series).

The released Xeon E3 series and the upcoming E5 series are both based on Sandybridge and 32nm manufacturing process.

Westmere is the die shrink of Nehlem from 45nm to 32nm.

They are 32nm ... how else are you going to stick 30Mb of L3 on the thing?

The brief states Nehalem but that is 45nm.

The 32nm shrink of Nehalem is Sandy Bridge ... unless I am mistaken.

Where is MU when you want the guy?

G

Don't these have Throttle/Turbo features that would make VT servers not viable? i.e. if 1 core/VxServer is under strain, the other cores/Vxservers will compensate?

G

Bulldozer isn't giving enough competition prices are going up already although a 12 or 16 core Opteron cpu isn't cheap either.

Status
Not open for further replies.