Intel at it again..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Doesn't seem likely, does it ? Intel officially said they canned it, why would they do that if they merely renamed it ? Anand is probably confused; netburst aint dead yet, and some of the features originally reserved for Tejas are being brought to Prescott (2MB cache, 1066 MHz FSB,..). Prescott core is dead, even the team is dismantled which is all the proof I need.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
Prescott aint dead yet either!
Intel plans to bring dual cored Prescott netburst architecture to the world. Hyperthreading means 4 logical CPUS in windows xp.

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040610151158.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040610151158.html</A>

------
Prescott 3.0E 1MB L2 HT
1GB PC 3200 Dual channel(PAT)
Asus P4P800 Bios 1016
PNY Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3
58,556 Aquamarks

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
They could just put two northwood execution cores with the amount of transistors there are in prescott. Just imagine if Prescott was in fact a dual-core northwood....

But instead, Intel seems to have crammed a lot of transistors which are useless for the end user as of now. I mean, logic transistor count more than doubled from NW to Prescott, and where are the benefits?... (except as a heater)... I can't even be convinced that two revamped NW cores would have much more than the thermal output of a single prescott core...

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

Prescott core is dead, even the team is dismantled which is all the proof I need.

Errr... you meant to say Tejas, right? I mean if Prescott were dead... Intel wouldn't still be producing it.

:smile:

(Technically I suppose you could say it is dead... since so far it hasn't been the stellar success everyone was hoping for).

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Errr... you meant to say Tejas, right?

Yes, obviously.. too much booze, not enough sleep :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>They could just put two northwood execution cores with the
>amount of transistors there are in prescott.

yeah, but it wouldnt be as small, and it wouldn't support EM64T. Two damn good reasons not to.

> I can't even be convinced that two revamped NW cores would
>have much more than the thermal output of a single prescott
>core...

You're stretching here. NW is a decent amount cooler, but definately not 2x. Do the math if you like, compare Banias with Dothan to see what 130nm->90nm brings, apply that to NW's numbers, I don't think you'll get close to your estimate.