Question Intel B75 MB - Memory compatibility issue (DDR3 - 1600 PC3-12800)

Oct 15, 2024
Good evening all - this is my first time on here as haven't tried to upgrade a computer for 20 years.....so go easy :)

I have a gaming PC with an Intel B75 MB and an 8MB DDR3 1600MHZ DIMM PC3-12800 ram module installed.
I wanted to upgrade this to 2 x 16GB modules, and I checked to make sure that the MB was capable of 32GB and it seems to be fine.
I bought 2 x 16GB Crucial DDR3 - 1600 PC3L-12800 but when inserted in the MB, the PC starts up but no connection to monitor.
I've googled this - could it be related to power supply being underrated? or have I just bought the wrong RAM?

Any help would be great
Thanks,

Mark.

I checked to make sure that the MB was capable of 32GB
It's not the motherboard, it's the memory controller which is in the CPU. 3000 series Ivy Bridge CPUs (which is what you would put into a B75 motherboard) can handle 32GB but it must be in low-density 4Gbit chips, so you would need 4 RAM slots and 4 sticks of 8GB. Each of which must have sixteen chips on them.

If you have 16GB sticks with 16 chips on them, then those are 8Gbit chips so are compatible with AMD, or any Intel newer than yours using DDR3 such as 4000 series Haswell.

Good evening all - this is my first time on here as haven't tried to upgrade a computer for 20 years.....so go easy :)

I have a gaming PC with an Intel B75 MB and an 8MB DDR3 1600MHZ DIMM PC3-12800 ram module installed.
I wanted to upgrade this to 2 x 16GB modules, and I checked to make sure that the MB was capable of 32GB and it seems to be fine.
I bought 2 x 16GB Crucial DDR3 - 1600 PC3L-12800 but when inserted in the MB, the PC starts up but no connection to monitor.
I've googled this - could it be related to power supply being underrated? or have I just bought the wrong RAM?

Any help would be great
Thanks,

Mark.
Is the ram you bought what the crucial scanner said should work?