Intel Buys Infineon's Wireless for $1.4 Billion Cash

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I can envision a future where Intel decides to roll-out its own network. There's still some spectrum open from the transition to digital TV. Maybe Intel is eying creating its own data/telephony network that will work only with Intel systems. Intel is shrinking down their Atom, they're buying a network security firm, and now they've bought a wireless technology company. Maybe this new network will be used to control Intel's vast robotic army as they tear through cities and towns, destroying the human population in Intel's quest for world dominance. People like to compare Google to Skynet, but I'm thinking Google lacks the hardware touch.

Of course, maybe Intel just plans to start making their own cell-phones, rather than trying to convince other companies to use the Atom processor. That sounds simpler, but not dominant enough for an Intel pursuit.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Lets hope these new acquisitions lead to better advancement in technology and not just price gouging and unfair market tactics

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I think intel have something major plan up their sleeve. Maybe next they going to sue people for patent got through buying other companies.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
If Intel once was bigh now is going huge adcquiring new technologies, I think this might be good for competition unless they decide to limit what we can do with wireless tech., Ex. As they are planing and did with theirclarkdale and lynfield cpus.....

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]havoc256[/nom]all it takes is one smart person to come along to have a great idea to put them all out of business[/citation]

Or one smart AI to put us all out of business ;)

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]Intel Vs. Microsoft Vs. Google Vs. Apple. Who will be the ruler of the world?[/citation]
... it's gonna be me!!! wuhahahahaha!!!

rrobstur

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]if the next 2 purchases include an artificial intelligent and a satellite company i will start building my bunker....(Skynet)[/citation]
can i rent out a room? :p

nxym

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]Intel Vs. Microsoft Vs. Google Vs. Apple. Who will be the ruler of the world?[/citation]

Me. i use them all

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]A stack of Benjamins is 100 bills (10,000 USD), and measures approximately 6" x 2.5" x 0.5". For sake of style and security, we will assume the money is being transported in a Zero Halliburton case (those cool aluminum cases that are featured in movies), which has dimensions of 18" x 13" x 5.25". Packing as efficiently as possible, we can get the bills in stacks of 10, 3 across, and 5 front-to-back. That's 150 stacks, or $1.5M per case. Dividing $1.4B by $1.5M gives us 933.33.SO... it would take 934 cases (with the last case containing only $500,000) to transport $1.4 billion in cash.[/citation]
I thank you for your time sir. But it only raises more questions! Like, how many black GMC Van do I need to pack these suitcases?

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Gotta wonder... They are spending lots of money on different markets. Good thing the Core 7 is good, they will have to sit on that chip architecture for a while. AMD now has some buffer to help them take the performance crown again since Intel won't be able to invest heavily in CPU's for a while.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]partytime[/nom]Woah!? what are they going to buy next? Google?[/citation]
Even Intel doesn't have the money for that.
Only 2 spring to mind, Samsung and IBM.
If it was like WWE SummerSlam with a 16 man super-brawl I would bet the house on IBM being the last man standing out of all of them.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
BTW, in the above pic, the Intel and Infineon logos look strikingly similar...
Inteleon?
Maybe they could buy Dell also and call themselves Infidell, would go down well in the Middle East

Ch33ky

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
First place now goes to Intel
on being a company that
really is on track to
go ahead and evetnually
own everything and soon be like "Welcome
to Costco, I love

you!" from Idiocracy except

only it will be Intel.
one thing is for sure, if you
play your cards right, getting a job with Intel may be a
safe bet! We'll all be Intel legion soon enough. lol
!

Soon it will be like Costco in Idiocracy.

One company that has EVERYTHING.

Welcome to Cotsco, I love you!

Status
Not open for further replies.