Intel Buys Infineon's Wireless for $1.4 Billion Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

jplarson

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
They previously purchased McAfee and a maker of broadband modems. Makes me wonder what the cohesive strategy is aside from penetrating markets they had little to no presence in and selling their Atom chips to them.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
if the next 2 purchases include an artificial intelligent and a satellite company i will start building my bunker....

(Skynet)

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Gotta love the purchasing power of giants like Intel. "Oooh shiny! You there, Accounting peon, shake the sofas in the lobby and see what you find. 1.4 billion? Great, hand it over to those grubby looking fellows over there in exchange for our shiny! Look, a squirrel!"

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]jplarson[/nom]They previously purchased McAfee and a maker of broadband modems. Makes me wonder what the cohesive strategy is aside from penetrating markets they had little to no presence in and selling their Atom chips to them.[/citation]
I think it's very clear that they're trying to get into the handset and embedded business. There was a story in Tom's a little while ago (see link below) describing the CPU roadmap. Intel has also invested in handset OS Moblin (now MeeGo), embedded OS when it purchased purchased wind river. Now with Infineon it has expertise in radios and other stuff needed for handsets. The strategy is very clear.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/arm-medfield-menlow-moorestown-atom,11177.html

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
WLS will operate as a standalone business serving its existing customers, largely comprised of phone makers (yes, including those using ARM chips).

Expect this to slowly change as they optimise for Intel chips leaving ARM to take a performance hit. It will happen slowly, but it will happen.

CrazeEAdrian

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
With all current and next gen devices moving to be wireless this is a pretty obvious/good step for Intel.... Fortunately for us this isn't going to be another show of how Intel is killing us on processors prices as there is lots of wireless competition to keep Intel in check in this field, and only one AMD to keep processors in check :(

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
intel is definatly on the aquisition kick lately and a difinitive pattern has not emerged. so either they are

a) diverifying into several fields to utilize thier chips. perhaps adding more function to modems as mini severs, maybe including stand alone hardware firewalls and security software with its previous aquisition and using this new aquisition for futher diversification into the wireless and mobile field making full operational units... or

b) total world domination

hoping for a ... if b i hope our new overloards are merciful :D

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I wouldn't say they are exactly buying to diversify. I think they have an overall goal of getting their processors into the handheld market as well as whatever other low power segments they can hit.

sentinelcomputers

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
It seems like Intel has been on a bit of a spenting spree of late. First with the purchase of McAfee and now this. I will be very curious to see if this is done purely for purposes of investment, or if there is a grand scheme that is yet to be revealed.

xes

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
"[/citation]
`[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]if the next 2 purchases include an artificial intelligent and a satellite company i will start building my bunker....(Skynet)[/citation]

I'd go with Cyberdyne Systems

ares1214

Splendid
This is scaring me, soon our phones will be intel made. Our modem will be intel made, our satellites will be intel made, our internet provider will be intel. Whats next, will they make an OS and compete with M$?

havoc256

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
[citation][nom]ares1214[/nom]This is scaring me, soon our phones will be intel made. Our modem will be intel made, our satellites will be intel made, our internet provider will be intel. Whats next, will they make an OS and compete with M$?[/citation]

all it takes is one smart person to come along to have a great idea to put them all out of business

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]The real important question is : how many suitcases does it take to move 1.4 billion cash?[/citation]
A stack of Benjamins is 100 bills (10,000 USD), and measures approximately 6" x 2.5" x 0.5". For sake of style and security, we will assume the money is being transported in a Zero Halliburton case (those cool aluminum cases that are featured in movies), which has dimensions of 18" x 13" x 5.25". Packing as efficiently as possible, we can get the bills in stacks of 10, 3 across, and 5 front-to-back. That's 150 stacks, or $1.5M per case. Dividing $1.4B by $1.5M gives us 933.33.

SO... it would take 934 cases (with the last case containing only $500,000) to transport $1.4 billion in cash.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]havoc256[/nom]all it takes is one smart person to come along to have a great idea to put them all out of business[/citation]

Yes, one of its future CEO

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]A stack of Benjamins is 100 bills (10,000 USD), and measures approximately 6" x 2.5" x 0.5". For sake of style and security, we will assume the money is being transported in a Zero Halliburton case (those cool aluminum cases that are featured in movies), which has dimensions of 18" x 13" x 5.25". Packing as efficiently as possible, we can get the bills in stacks of 10, 3 across, and 5 front-to-back. That's 150 stacks, or $1.5M per case. Dividing $1.4B by $1.5M gives us 933.33.SO... it would take 934 cases (with the last case containing only $500,000) to transport $1.4 billion in cash.[/citation]

Thanks for doing the leg work on that. But seriously you have a bit of free time, don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.