Intel Buys McAfee for $7,680,000,000

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]epkfaile[/nom]mse? microsoft security essentials?[/citation]
Yes. Microsoft Security Essentials tends to sniff out the most obvious viruses that my clients seem to always get, even clients with up-to-date antivirus programs not named MSE...

MSE does miss stuff. Sometimes I also have to install AVAST for the few things MSE doesn't get, but between the 2 of them, MSE takes up less resources, and catches more obvious stuff than AVAST or any other anti-malware software I have ever used.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
On the Merger topic:
It isn't necessarily because of the lack of competition. Even unrelated companies that merge tend to fail. It has to do with corporate culture and redundancy as much as market competition.

2 companies have 2 accounting departments, using different accounting practices. Company A buys Company B, 1 company now has 2 accounting departments, with different practices, no less...

Who is right? Who gets fired? Who do you have to hire to resolve the redundancy? etc...

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Intel must be out of their minds.
A better choice would be to spend $30 million on an expedition to recover the lost treasure of the Aztecs from the 1521 conquest by Hernan Cortez.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]My dad did I think... He was as perplexed as I was... Why? Their AVS is HORRIBLE. It finds nothing. It fixes NOTHING. MSE>AVAST>>>Kapersky=NOD32>>Norton>>>McAffee...And the 1st 2 are free![/citation]

You think Avast is better than Nod32?! I haven't had a single free anti-virus that worked properly. They're slow, clunky, resource hungry pieces of crap. I've never had a virus after installing Nod32. In fact, I haven't really had malware at all for that matter. Spybot always comes up with nothing when it used to have a full page worth with the free AV software... avast included.

Don't knock it till you try it.

drsanches

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]My dad did I think... He was as perplexed as I was... Why? Their AVS is HORRIBLE. It finds nothing. It fixes NOTHING. MSE>AVAST>>>Kapersky=NOD32>>Norton>>>McAffee...And the 1st 2 are free![/citation]

they couldnt even buy amd if they wanted to, it would be blocked by most governments

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Not that hard to figure out. Since Intel owns a majority stake in AVG, and now they own McAfee, they can repackage AVG as McAfee and have a huge install base and built-in name recognition (McAfee) name recognition for a superior product (AVG).[/citation]

this is exactly what will happen. i can't believe no one drew this conclusion before page 3...

Watch how the next iteration of McFluffy AVS will cause AMD based PC's to run much slower (compiler hint hint) and suffer a greater incidence of virus infections ... an unusual side effect caused by new management.

ikaz

Distinguished
Yes I would the corporate version is a different story which I bet is why intel bought them. I think that Mcafee focus the other may still be better but Mcafee has a very mature in corportate space. Similar to why big companies by HP/Dell/etc. not but they make better PC's but because the support and management structure is eaiser to deal with when your deplaying 100,000's PC's

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Some one was smoking a lot of pot to say yes to this purchase. what a total bonehead manuver. mcaffee never fixes computers only breaks them. i have fixed a lot of computers and everytime one with mcaffee comes along the first thing i do is remove the crap antivirus and install some real AV protection. the first time i ever dealt with mcaffee was the first time i ever saw a virus go after the antivirus program itself. the OS was totally buggered because i couldnt uninstall mcaffee and when i went to manually delete it i couldnt because the program was "running". i ended up using another machine to run an AV on the drive and then backup the important files. what a nightmare.

I didn’t realise that Intel bought AVG is this true? AVG version 9 is a terrible piece of software causing dead tabs in IE8 and causing IE to crash if you run Zone alarm it is also not very good at removing viruses any more. MacAfee Is also a terrible anti virus software I would rather have the virus installed on my computer. Intel has bought the two worst anti virus products (apart from of course Norton) why? Malwarebytes is currently the best anti virus software at actually removing viruses and Microsoft anti virus is the best free version.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]You think Avast is better than Nod32?! I haven't had a single free anti-virus that worked properly. They're slow, clunky, resource hungry pieces of crap. I've never had a virus after installing Nod32. In fact, I haven't really had malware at all for that matter. Spybot always comes up with nothing when it used to have a full page worth with the free AV software... avast included.Don't knock it till you try it.[/citation]

Paid or free, I all antivirus/antimalware has been a resource hog, no matter how powerful the system. EXCEPT Microsoft Security Essentials. I have installed that program on Pentium III XP systems with 128 megs of RAM, and the thing killed the viruses on that system and did it without causing the system to hang. Yeah, that isn't a typo, or even an embellishment... MSE should be on every post XP system... And I don't understand why MS makes it so hard to find...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

next time you might want to put AVIRA in front...

Status
Not open for further replies.