[SOLVED] Intel Celeron N4000 stuck at 0.79 Ghz

Mar 25, 2020
Asus A407M, Intel Celeron N4000, Up to 2.6 Ghz, DDR4 4 GB, HDD 1 TB 5400 stuck at 0.79 Ghz. Even basic execution feels so laggy. But, magically, if I plug in the charger, speed can go up to 2.6 Ghz (multiplier can goes to 25x or 26x). But of course that's not the solution.
I did the following steps and none are useful:
  • Slide to best performance in battery (bottow down corner)
  • choose high performance in battery profile (beside balance profile)
  • set minimum and maximum processor to 100% in battery profile
  • Try msconfig and choose 2 processor
  • Enter Asus BIOS and found out nothing can be changed there
  • Download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Celeron isn't supported
  • Download and successfully run Throttlestop 8.7 and uncheck BD PROCHOT but nothing happened. In throttlestop the multiplier already in the highest of 26T. I can't go further.

Solution
I've seen a few Intel laptop CPUs stuck at 800 MHz if no chipset drivers are installed, and, even afterward, wait until all updates were applied and a fresh reboot....

w_o_t_q

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
Asus A407M, Intel Celeron N4000, Up to 2.6 Ghz, DDR4 4 GB, HDD 1 TB 5400 stuck at 0.79 Ghz. Even basic execution feels so laggy. But, magically, if I plug in the charger, speed can go up to 2.6 Ghz (multiplier can goes to 25x or 26x). But of course that's not the solution.
I did the following steps and none are useful:
  • Slide to best performance in battery (bottow down corner)
  • choose high performance in battery profile (beside balance profile)
  • set minimum and maximum processor to 100% in battery profile
  • Try msconfig and choose 2 processor
  • Enter Asus BIOS and found out nothing can be changed there
  • Download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Celeron isn't supported
  • Download and successfully run Throttlestop 8.7 and uncheck BD PROCHOT but nothing happened. In throttlestop the multiplier already in the highest of 26T. I can't go further.
Temperature of CPU? HDD 5400 biggest slowest component consider to replace with ssd