Intel: Chip in Brain Implants Are the Future

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]i think the biggest problem is heat dissapation. i mean, your brain dies at 108 degrees F (42 C), so those processors are going to have to be LOW power or external (outside the brain). could you imagine getting brain damage on the tissue around your implants from the heat. anyway, it seems like a viable concept since they have been implanting chips on people's brains for years in medical applications.[/citation]
Dude, no one is saying put a CPU or GPU onto your brain. It's a chip that takes input and gives output. You aren't going to be doing a teraflop on it.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Known, and have been typing on dvorak for years. In fact I can even switch between the layouts like a multilingual person can switch between language. I kind of have to. Not the rest of the world uses dvorak, nor do I have the privileges to change the computers at work.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
If the communication was restricted to 1 way I may consider getting it after a generation or 2.

The people who would really destroy this tech is children. If they grew up using a cybernetic interface it would become like using there arm. The brain is so adaptable when its growing its amazing. (I meant destroy as in, they'd use it and run circles around those of us who grew up without it).

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I doubt the chip on the brain is anything new, actually. I'm sure the US government put a chip inside of Joseph Moshe's brain, you know, to wipe his memory database so he would forget that the swine flu was a biological attack organized by our own government bodies.

Oh silly me, that wasn't a chip they put in his brain. That was a bullet.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Anyone remember the OCZ Nia?
You could replace the mouse (up, down, click) uses, but that was about it. An external device that took tons of practise...

I'm happy to see a big player investing into such a market, I can only hope they put some major focus into this.

Onyx2291

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Just hope it isn't hackable/virus/bug ridden etc.

Not sure if I would ever want it... just operations in general are meh to me.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I woudn't want to be the first generation recipient and would wait until they worked out the kinks. Say if you did get one in 2020, you'd eventually meet someone in 20224 who had a bigger, better chip in their body and that would give you "chip envy" not to mention they would probably get more mating oppurtunities due ot bigger processing power.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Why put a chip in the brain? Isn't it better to take the brain out and plugged it in a socket inside a huge chip that's part of a huge gold robot? It's like you get a new body that never rusts? Steve Austin the Bionic Man couldn't hold a candle up to you because you'd be worth 6 Billion.

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I lol'd at all the comments. Wow guys, they're just talking about a basic i/o chip, not a computer in your brain...

Also, the technology for this is already being tested on several fronts. The basic idea isn't even so complicated. Device reads a certain frequency of brain activity > device outputs a pre-programmed operation linked with said frequency. I'd much prefer to use an external device with a sensor than actually get implanted with any kind of chip. Updating/repair of any kind would be much easier and I prefer a higher sense of control.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Raid3r[/nom]One of the many regions of ideas that should be for once left to the imagination. We have not really started on the road of using our minds and for the lack of want and teachers the best we can come up with is using tech to "enhance" how we interact with our physical domain by putting physical things inside our body. Its a step back but just maybe most have to fall before they can move forward. Necessary evil?[/citation]

It's always the common statistic of the prevailing majority of stupid people in society that allows this kind of thing to happen. That's why things like Nazism managed to take over. Unfortunately, there's not enough people thinking like you, that's why something like this must be a necessary evil, as you say. Problem is, I doubt there will be any turn back on this one.

shoshu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
"I think [implanting chips into human brains] is well within the scope of possibility.""
==>and I THINK you are an IDIOT!

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Well scientests have already successfully implanted algae into mice along with plant dna to make mice respond to blue light. The mice then proceed to run in counter clockwise when light was applied. I don't think it's far fetched as it sounds. It's in this month wired. But yeah like or not we are heading in this direction...

wenty

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
This way Intel and the government can control you better so get to work you slaves.

Zombies of the future.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I hope it works, and sooner than later because it would be a damn good joy for those people who cant walk or move their arms.
I have a friend in those conditions, we where researching those OCZ headbands to control some games whit few muscular and brain waves. It wasn't that bad, but either effective.
He can barely move his hands to move his mouse... he is 22 years old, he did not crash in a car, he did not had an accident he was born with that SH!T.. So from that point of view i think that this brain chip it may actually be a good thing for lots of people. Even if my friend wont be here in 20 years... Others like him may do a good use of it.

G

What a bunch of luddites. I would love to be able to control a computer with my brain. I would also love to run my personality on a computer (immortality anyone?)
If you can't handle the future, stay out of the way of those who can!

Status
Not open for further replies.