Intel Clarksfield Chips Could Launch Late Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]i dont see this new core 2 extreme being a significant improvement over the qx9300, unless it is 32nm[/citation]

Lower clock speeds, higher IPC - its more evolution, rather then revolution.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
thiswillkillthat, you don't like quad core on the notebook? If quad core notebook was affordable 8 months ago, I would have bought it instead of 2.4GHz C2D; it’s more future proof.

G

They often come up with inventions the customer rarely wants!
Instead of investing in ways to increase battery life.
I'd rather have a core2duo laptop that runs 5 hours on battery, than a corei7 that does the same, but can only run 2 hours at most.

Besides, a clockspeed of 1,6Ghz could not really be called an improvement.
My 3 year old laptop from 2006 runs at 1,66Ghz; I'd at least expected 1,8Ghz to be the lowest, 2Ghz the middle, and 2,4Ghz the higher end model!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@Pro
Besides obvious differences in architecture between something like a Pentium M @1.7GHz and a Clarksfield Quad Core at a similar speed, you should consider that it seems that Intel is adapting to a strategy where the processor may be at a modest clockspeed, but have an aggressive turbo mode. I could be mistaken, but I'd probably expect to see some kind of Lynfield-esk turbo mode present in Clarksfield, which would make the chips pretty adaptable as far as efficiency and performance is concerned... having potential to be a pretty decent step forward from the current mobile quad cores.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]thiswillkillthat[/nom]Intel loves screwing with people.[/citation]

NO kidding, that't why you don't buy that junk. Intel fan boys will probably have to up grade the chipset to get the best performance.

I'll stick with cheap'o AMD platform. Spend the savings on a bigger LED TV!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hey stupid Stoner,
Do you upgrade the CPU in your Laptop periodically? No? Why are you talking about chipset upgrades? Oh, you didn't realize this was a news item about mobile CPUs? How embarrassing for you.

You also left the O out of OLED. NO kidding.

G

Apache Lives: Like seeing an extra 4 fake CPUs in task manager much? What I'd be more interested in is hyperthreading that actually turns itself off in situations where it hurts performance instead of improving it by a nominal 10%. There's a reason why you don't see AMD trying to compete on the multi-threaded core front...

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
This will provide a massive speed boost no matter what you use your computer for. The Core i7 processors mentioned here are a completely new processor from the ground up. This is like going from a Pentium (P5) processor to a Pentium II processor.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
From what I can tell is that the chips will use some kind of over-clocking mode when executing code that is single threaded for maximum performance as if the chip were running at 3.0 ghz. (There is a name for this technology, but I forget it.) Since they are quad core, it will obviously do better if the application is set up to use 8 threads simultaneously.

Second, a 3 ghz chip is not necessarily faster than a 1.6 ghz chip. It depends on architecture.

So don't go out and buy one if you have a current good laptop (I recommend a high IOPS SSD if you have an SATA connector). If you have a laptop that needs replacement, I recommend one of these if you want to spend that kind of money (I've heard they won't be cheap).

fans 6

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
i don't know why amd makes fun if intel i don't know why. I work at intel and find it the founding father of amd's buisness. what do yuo think amd's first chip was, a copy of an intel 8086 chip, wat about cupu- cpu on a die, what about netbooks, what about usb!! intel invented usb and without it, the world would be a bad place.

Status
Not open for further replies.