Intel Coffee Lake (8th & 9th Gen Core CPUs) + Skylake-X Refresh & W-3175X MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechyInAZ

Polypheme
*********************************************************************************

Hey Community, just an FYI, I've done a massive update to this megathread talking about the new overclockable Xeon, Skylake-X Refresh and Coffee Lake R (9th Gen chips).

This megathread will now encompass all X299, Z370/Z390 and W-3175X discussion.
*********************************************************************************

RobCrezz

Titan
Herald

In most games no. In any that use more than 4c/8t then there would be a performance boost.

I wouldnt recommend it unless you were going for a 2080 ti.

Gaidax

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

You will get extra 2 cores and 4 threads, that's a nice bump, but overall it depends on what you are doing.

If you are just gaming - you don't really need these extra resources. If you are streaming high quality and making videos all the time, then yes.

TechyInAZ

Polypheme
For pure gaming the 7700K is still a good performer. No need to upgrade yet.

If you are streaming, I'd recommend going to NVENC (ShadowPlay) on Nvidia cards, uses the Nvidia GPU for encoding. I have done extensive tests personally and notice no difference in quality vs x264 (CPU encode) and NVENC (GPU encode), but the performance uplift is absolutely monstrous. (Specifically NVENC on Pascal and Turing. Maxwell runs an older NVENC encoder which is still good, but I think it is showing its age.)

TerryLaze

Reputable
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is very CPU intensive. It can max out an 8700K, and a 9700K.
Yeah.. I am witnessing it now.

So is seige btw.. its maxing out my 8700k.
Yeah but they only fill up the cores without adding (any) FPS...odyssey at least tops out at ~100FPS with the 4c/8t any additional cores only work to make the game look more important then it is,or some other reason except for improving performance.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Assassins_Creed_Odyssey/4.html

Reactions: Ben Harley
Yeah but they only fill up the cores without adding (any) FPS...odyssey at least tops out at ~100FPS with the 4c/8t any additional cores only work to make the game look more important then it is,or some other reason except for improving performance.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Assassins_Creed_Odyssey/4.html
Which is expected; once the GPU is consistently fed, you aren't going to gain any more performance by adding more CPU cores.

TerryLaze

Reputable
Which is expected; once the GPU is consistently fed, you aren't going to gain any more performance by adding more CPU cores.
Exactly, the thing is though that normally a game will stop filling up cores at that point,it will only use as many cores as it needs to feed the GPU if you take a look at the quotes I answer to, U6b36ef tells us that a 9700k 8cores is getting maxed out.