News Intel Completes Development of 1.8nm and 2nm Production Nodes

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
They have had terrible yeilds on 14 & 10nm and missed the ARC deadline by a solid year... "The earliest Arc products will be released in "the first quarter of 2022" and will be based on a GPU codenamed "Alchemist," "

That being said if they can get this to actually turn into viable production before it's outdated that would be amazing.

InvalidError

Titan
"Power through the backside" sounds like something that could be a pain in the ass to implement. Sounds like it is going to require a crapton of vias, a suspicion further reinforced by "PowerVias" being a key point.

I suppose if you unflip flip chips so they lie fat-silicon-down using TSVs for power and substrate IO, that makes the active electronics ~0.2mm closer to 3D-stacked stuff on top and the IHS for heat dissipation.

Reactions: gg83

Giroro

Splendid
This is "Intel 20A", not "20 angstrom", "Angstrom class", nor 2nm. The branding is designed to trick people into thinking it's related to size, when really it no longer has connection to any kind of sizing, whatsoever.
It's not as bad as when comcast writes Mbps as MBPS or when a phone salesman straight tells you that Mbps stands for "Megabytes per second" which would be 8x faster than what they are actually selling ... but it's almost as bad. I'd still put it in the to 10 computer marketing lies. I'd say it's slightly better than Seagate confusing a judge into letting them redefine the measurement 1 GigaByte as 1 Billion Bytes, and slightly worse than Intel letting their partners pretend Optane SSDs counted as RAM. So, and about the same badness as Intel's P/E-core mismarketing nightmare.

That said I'm already getting lost on what TSMC process Intel 20A is supposed to compete against. IIRC It will go up against and probably slightly behind TSMC N4 "4nm".
If I remember right, Intel wishes they could be competitive with the following:

IntelTSMC
10 nm = Intel 7"7nm "N7
7nm = Intel 4NFF7+ or N6
Intel 3N5
Intel 20AN5+ or N4
Intel 18AN3

Reactions: RichardtST

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
This is "Intel 20A", not "20 angstrom", "Angstrom class", nor 2nm. The branding is designed to trick people into thinking it's related to size, when really it no longer has connection to any kind of sizing, whatsoever.
It's not as bad as when comcast writes Mbps as MBPS or when a phone salesman straight tells you that Mbps stands for "Megabytes per second" which would be 8x faster than what they are actually selling ... but it's almost as bad. I'd still put it in the to 10 computer marketing lies. I'd say it's slightly better than Seagate confusing a judge into letting them redefine the measurement 1 GigaByte as 1 Billion Bytes, and slightly worse than Intel letting their partners pretend Optane SSDs counted as RAM. So, and about the same badness as Intel's P/E-core mismarketing nightmare.

That said I'm already getting lost on what TSMC process Intel 20A is supposed to compete against. IIRC It will go up against and probably slightly behind TSMC N4 "4nm".

IntelTSMC
10 nm = Intel 7"7nm "N7
7nm = Intel 4NFF7+ or N6
Intel 3N5
Intel 20AN5+ or N4
Intel 18AN3

I'm no fan of Intel, but TSMC does the same thing. N5, N5+ and N4 are actually the same node size. There isn't a great way to compare the two with current metrics TBH. Density would be a better way, though still not prefect, but I doubt we will get a better apples to apples way to compare nodes anytime soon.

icmn223

Commendable
Apr 8, 2020
"Wang Rui, president and chairman of Intel China, said at an event that the company had finalized the development of its Intel 18A (18 angstroms-class) and Intel 20A (20 angstroms-class) fabrication processes."
Wait, does that mean they are developing/manufacturing this in China? If so, isn't that a national security threat? I thought we were trying to keep the latest and greatest semiconductor tech. out of their hands for precisely that reason.

Reactions: lenslens007

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nice work, @jkflipflop98 !

My concern about skipping 0.55 numerical aperture naturally goes to costs, but I'm sure the bean counters will have run the numbers and checked that it's both economically viable and competitive.

In the nearer term, my main concern is with voltage and frequency scaling on Intel 4, but I guess we'll find out before long.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm already getting lost on what TSMC process Intel 20A is supposed to compete against. IIRC It will go up against and probably slightly behind TSMC N4 "4nm".

IntelTSMC
10 nm = Intel 7"7nm "N7
7nm = Intel 4NFF7+ or N6
Intel 3N5
Intel 20AN5+ or N4
Intel 18AN3
I think it's more like:

Intel (old)Intel (new)TSMC
14 nm
10 nm
10 nm (SF)
10 nm (ESF)7N7/N6
7 nm4N5
3N4
20AN3
18AN2

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Wait, does that mean they are developing/manufacturing this in China?
No. China can still import & sell most Intel products to most buyers, and I think there are still some Intel production facilities there.

As long as Intel wants to continue both selling into the Chinese domestic market and to China-based OEMs (e.g. Lenovo) for export to markets around the world, they need to communicate with the market there, just like they do elsewhere. That's why he's talking about Intel's progress and their roadmap.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Pat Gelsinger secretes dishonesty, like a slug secretes slime.
Personal attacks aren't helpful or appropriate. Much better to cite specific examples, if you have them.

The CEO is the public face of a company, and they're always going to be putting a spin on things. I haven't found Pat to be worse than I'd expect, in terms of spin. I'm still hoping he'll be successful in reinvigorating Intel. I believe that's entirely why he went back. I'm sure he could've simply retired, if he didn't believe in the cause.

Reactions: bolweval

lenslens007

Prominent
Jul 29, 2022
Looks like vaporware to me. By the time Intel brings this to manufacture (if ever) others will still be ahead.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

IntelTSMC
10 nm = Intel 7"7nm "N7
7nm = Intel 4NFF7+ or N6
Intel 3N5
Intel 20AN5+ or N4
Intel 18AN3

Nope. Quit making up stuff. Intel 3/4 are close to TSMC N3.

Source : https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/6720/a-look-at-intel-4-process-technology/2/

jL7tse1.jpg