News Intel Completes Development of 1.8nm and 2nm Production Nodes

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SiliconFly

Prominent
Jun 13, 2022
I totally agree. Intel has always been the leader for many decades. And the first time they messed up was only in 2016 with 14+. The rest is history.

What I meant to say was, even if Intel takes the process leadership crown in the next few years, it won't be able to completely kill a company like TSMC as there are many fabless companies like AMD, Nvidia & Apple who totally depend on it.

it won't be able to completely kill a company like TSMC as there are many fabless companies like AMD, Nvidia & Apple who totally depend on it.
Intel is building up a lot of fab space...they could steal away all of that business, they also have the money to help the companies to port over the designs to their FABs.
But they won't be able to kill TSMC even if they wanted to because TSMC is backed by the taiwanese government and a lot of asian customers are going to keep using them no matter what, so they will keep going, much smaller maybe but not dead.
But the most probable thing is that both intel and TSMC will keep doing fine.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Have a lot to learn from you!
Pay more attention to what @jkflipflop98 says, but also take it with some salt.

Intel basically stands still for 12 years to allow TSMC to gain a ~4 year advantage. Look how quickly public perception changes. It's like the last 50 years never happened.
There are plenty of other fabs who dropped out of the race, so it wouldn't be the first time someone with a strong track-record could no longer compete. I hear what you're saying, but "past performance doesn't always predict future results". However, I'm not so superficial and definitely not ready to count Intel out.

Still, killing TSMC sounds like we're really getting ahead of ourselves, eh?

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I totally agree. Intel has always been the leader for many decades. And the first time they messed up was only in 2016 with 14+. The rest is history.
The first time? How about when the Broadwell desktop CPUs, set to launch in 2014, were cancelled due to their original 14 nm node being late? I think that's when the general public first started to see the storm clouds.

Also, note that @jkflipflop98 said Intel stood still for 12 years. He's clearly looking back before 2016!

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker