Intel Confirms Sandy Bridge Debut for January '11

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
But just one thing:

If you have to pay more for the ability to overclock the same-clock-speed processor, why bother? Intel already does that with this generation of Core i5 and i7 processors. I don't want to pay $15 or $20 more for abilities that the processor should have had in the first place.
Will the motherboard manufacturers be able to help us? Time will tell.

This new architecture should be worth a look, but let's hope that AMD has some viable competition to these new processors- and Black Editions the way they are producing them right now: where 10 bucks more gives you 10 bucks more performance AND unlocked multipliers.

Come on, Intel. Nickel-and-diming the ordinary consumer is one thing, but making us pay for the privilege is not the way to go.

G

But where are AMD... they seriously need to be AT LEAST close to Sandy.. or its BYE BYE!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Finally, the end of the Pentium Pro is here. I'm not sure whether to feel sad or happy.

It's Intel's first new architecture since the Pentium 4. If you're not excited by that, I don't know how much in this field will excite you. Intel makes it harder because it seems they're not going to release any high-end chips initially. If they release a high-end chip that isn't shackled to a GPU, they'll get a lot of attention from hobbyists.

I think everyone is really curious about the performance of this chip since they're leaving the Pentium Pro architecture behind, again. Let's hope this time is more successful, especially since this processor borrows a fair amount from the Pentium 4.

This really is a big event. The next one like it might come in another 10 years. Or maybe this will be the last architecture Intel ever uses, and keeps enhancing it. It seemed for a while the Pentium Pro was.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]But just one thing:If you have to pay more for the ability to overclock the same-clock-speed processor, why bother? Intel already does that with this generation of Core i5 and i7 processors. I don't want to pay $15 or $20 more for abilities that the processor should have had in the first place.Will the motherboard manufacturers be able to help us? Time will tell.This new architecture should be worth a look, but let's hope that AMD has some viable competition to these new processors- and Black Editions the way they are producing them right now: where 10 bucks more gives you 10 bucks more performance AND unlocked multipliers.Come on, Intel. Nickel-and-diming the ordinary consumer is one thing, but making us pay for the privilege is not the way to go.[/citation]

You'll pay it, and like it.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Until native usb3.0 and sata3.0 support are part of the chipset, I have no intention of upgrading to sandybridge...

I'm tired of half-... implementations of these new standards.

[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]But just one thing:If you have to pay more for the ability to overclock the same-clock-speed processor, why bother? Intel already does that with this generation of Core i5 and i7 processors. I don't want to pay $15 or $20 more for abilities that the processor should have had in the first place.Will the motherboard manufacturers be able to help us? Time will tell.This new architecture should be worth a look, but let's hope that AMD has some viable competition to these new processors- and Black Editions the way they are producing them right now: where 10 bucks more gives you 10 bucks more performance AND unlocked multipliers.Come on, Intel. Nickel-and-diming the ordinary consumer is one thing, but making us pay for the privilege is not the way to go.[/citation]

I have seen reports that the Core i7 2500K will be $210 at launch. If thats true, that pretty much beats most every other high end quad core with a unlocked multiplier out there since they have shown it being pushed to 4.9GHz on air.

That would mean over 4Ghz stable on air.

In essence this is the same thing AMD does. Only Intel has to lock the BCLK in order for you not to fry the SATA/USB controller since its tied to the BCLK. But still I rarely see non-Black Edition Phenoms OCed. Thats due to the cheaper price which is due to AMDs lower overall performance.

if AMDs BE CPUs had enough of a higher performance gap than Intel, they wouldn't be so cheap.

[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Q2 or q3 maybe? for AMd's Llano and Bulldozer.CPU wise, the Llano won't be a huge leap, but it's GPU segment might beat intel in mobile platforms[/citation]

I read Zecate in Q2 but no word on BD yet. Bobcat shoudln't be too far off since its Stars cores (current arch) with a GPU so I would suspect Bobcat before BD.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Really!!! wow. Its not considered thats a FACT!So, what people have been predicting for months now anyhow, is finally made official. Whooo....hooo.[/citation]
Don't be a dick, it is clearly an error, and some positive adjective should be included.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I read that Intel was mum on USB 3.0 and Sata 3.0. But I ahve read different places that it will have native support. But we will find out in January!!!

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I read Zecate in Q2 but no word on BD yet. Bobcat shoudln't be too far off since its Stars cores (current arch) with a GPU so I would suspect Bobcat before BD.[/citation]

No, you're thinking of Llano. Bobcat is AMD's answer for the low-power market whereas Llano (in itself a tweaked STARS) is a direct stab at systems lacking a proper discrete card yet requiring decent CPU performance.

mustbhacks

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]DoctorPINK[/nom]But where are AMD... they seriously need to be AT LEAST close to Sandy.. or its BYE BYE![/citation]

Because the masses are waiting with $$$$ in their pockets to spend the moment sandy comes out!!!

When realisticly people upgrade ever 2.5-3 years. So at most AMD will lost some enthusiast market share, and 2-3 months of vendor fodder.

N B D.

[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Finally, the end of the Pentium Pro is here. I'm not sure whether to feel sad or happy. It's Intel's first new architecture since the Pentium 4. If you're not excited by that, I don't know how much in this field will excite you. Intel makes it harder because it seems they're not going to release any high-end chips initially. If they release a high-end chip that isn't shackled to a GPU, they'll get a lot of attention from hobbyists.I think everyone is really curious about the performance of this chip since they're leaving the Pentium Pro architecture behind, again. Let's hope this time is more successful, especially since this processor borrows a fair amount from the Pentium 4. This really is a big event. The next one like it might come in another 10 years. Or maybe this will be the last architecture Intel ever uses, and keeps enhancing it. It seemed for a while the Pentium Pro was.[/citation]
This is just a step up from the icore processors, dude. It's like going from P4 Willamette to P4 Prescott.
The last big jump they had in architecture was to core.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Me, and many others, bought into LGA 1366 hoping there would be affordable 6/8 core 32nm CPU's for the socket.
We never got our wish.
Intel, do us a favor, and don't cripple these chips. My i7 920 runs at 2.8GHz stock, but it's 24/7 stable at 3.675GHz at stock voltage on air.
We know some of these chips will be capable of amazing clocks, so please don't hard lock every chip you can, you're already making replace a $300 motherboard to use these.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]enzo matrix[/nom]This is just a step up from the icore processors, dude. It's like going from P4 Willamette to P4 Prescott.The last big jump they had in architecture was to core.[/citation]

You don't know much about microprocessor design, I take it.

This is a huge redesign, with many parts taken from the bottom up. The Core was an iteration of Yonah, which dates back to the Pentium Pro design. This is a new design. I guess you didn't know it has a uop cache, similar to the Pentium 4. Or, uses physical registers files, again something the Pentium 4 had, but the Pentium Pro line did not. As you no doubt are unaware of, this entirely changes the architecture of the processor, since it fundamentally changes how instructions are tracked and scheduled in the processor.

The entire branch prediction is completely new. They now have one BTB to represent what was in the L1 and L2 of the Nehalem, and actually compress the data so it takes no more space.

To the uninformed, it might seem like just another iteration, to anyone who looks any deeper, it's been completely redesigned. It is fundamentally changed from the Nehalem/Pentium Pro line. The Core was the same basic architecture as the Pentium Pro, but with enhancements.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
You don't know much about microprocessor design, I take it.

This is a huge redesign, with many parts taken from the bottom up. The Core was an iteration of Yonah, which dates back to the Pentium Pro design. This is a new design. I guess you didn't know it has a uop cache, similar to the Pentium 4. Or, uses physical registers files, again something the Pentium 4 had, but the Pentium Pro line did not. As you no doubt are unaware of, this entirely changes the architecture of the processor, since it fundamentally changes how instructions are tracked and scheduled in the processor.

The entire branch prediction is completely new. They now have one BTB to represent what was in the L1 and L2 of the Nehalem, and actually compress the data so it takes no more space.

To the uninformed, it might seem like just another iteration, to anyone who looks any deeper, it's been completely redesigned. It is fundamentally changed from the Nehalem/Pentium Pro line. The Core was the same basic architecture as the Pentium Pro, but with enhancements.

take it from the expert. *GASP!!*

G

"the world's fastest processor with many new technologies Intel has built into its chips to enhance the 'visual life.'"

and here i thought the integrated GPU core was a waste of space.....why for the lack of common sense did they not just get a proper gfx maker to design the GPU core for them, failing that just use that wasted real estate to shore up your CPU so it can perform better

my burning hatred for intel's GMA is insatiable

Status
Not open for further replies.