Intel Core i5-4690k reaches temperatures up to 60 degrees celsius?

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Hello!

Recently, on my 5-year old computer (I got an upgrade from AMD based processors to Intel based, woot), I have noticed that when playing some graphics intensive games, sometimes not even, my the inside of my computer case reaches temperatures up to 60 degrees celsius. This should not be an issue that I have to deal with, and I will give you my PC specs below. Just a heads up: I am NOT using a stock cooler. 2 years ago, I made my switch from AMD to Intel processors.

PC Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4690k

Graphics: AMD Radeon 7870 (2GB)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97x GAMING 3

PSU: EVGA 210-GQ-0650-V1 GQ 80 Plus Gold

Case/Tower, in case you need to know: Corsair Clear Carbide 400c

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Solution
60°C is perfectly safe temp,i would say that GPU is way hotter and makes more noise than fan on 212 EVO.
If you dont plan to do some serious OC on CPU 212 EVO is more than enough for stock speeds.
Instead new CPU cooler, better invest rest of money in GPU with a powerful cooler if you want low noise and temps.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
I have three fans, including the CPU cooler fan. The computer gets loud and the CPU fan is at full blast sometimes, even when playing games as simple as MINECRAFT. By the way, thanks for the quick reply.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Another thing: I am planning on switching over from fan based cooling to liquid cooling, which should help my computer. But personally, I think that the GPU is the culprit. Under load, the fans start blaring out at full speed.

Is it overclocked? The 212 evo should be plenty for the 4690k at stock. It sounds like you may have a case airflow problem but if the cpu is reaching 60c under load that's a good temp. Intel temps and amd temps aren't the same, 60c on amd would be considered on the verge of overheating. On intel it's normal. The cpu cooler fans may spin up really fast if the fan curve is set that way in the bios.

If the gpu is using a blower style fan then you'll definitely hear it under load. A liquid cpu cooler won't fix a loud gpu fan, a different gpu or gpu cooler would fix that. The hd 78xx series get pretty warm and are noisy under load, I've got an hd 7850 so I'm familiar with it. It sounds like a leaf blower lol.

Minecraft may appear simple but it's an extremely cpu intensive game. It relies almost entirely on the cpu so to have it push the cpu to its limits isn't out of the ordinary.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
I am planning on getting a better GPU, so noise might not be an issue anymore afterwards. No, the CPU is not overclocked, airflow is being spread easily, there are no cables in the way of anything. Sometimes, even when not under load, the conputer still reaches temps from 50 to 60 degrees celsius.

There may be other things going on in the background, antivirus, windows operations, updates etc. even when you're not actively doing anything. Ambient room temps also play a role, the overall system and cpu temps will be higher if the room is closer to 30c than say 20c. Overall your cpu temps don't sound all that hot, they look pretty good.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
My antivirus doesn't use much of my CPU, nor do Windows or the updates. Ambient temp is almost always at a nice cool 18c. The computer has plenty of room to breathe, so thats not an issue. I am currently researching better cooling solutions and a better GPU.

st3v30

Admirable
60°C is perfectly safe temp,i would say that GPU is way hotter and makes more noise than fan on 212 EVO.
If you dont plan to do some serious OC on CPU 212 EVO is more than enough for stock speeds.
Instead new CPU cooler, better invest rest of money in GPU with a powerful cooler if you want low noise and temps.

Solution