Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Coming Near You in Q4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Considering that Ivy was more of a efficiency upgrade with just a tad more performance i doubt that the Ivy-E will be total buster for the -e series.[/citation]
22nm could make a far more significant performance difference for the -E series. It could allow Intel to enable two additional cores while maintaining high clocks within the same 130W TDP.

[citation][nom]varun270588[/nom]wtf i am still using intel core 2 duoe8300 2.9ghz and 4gb ram ,amd 5750 .its like iam using prehistoric computer[/citation]
lol, that is what my wife's PC was using until today. Today she got the upgrade to a C2Q q8200, so far OC'd to 2.8GHz, and I think I can get it up to ~3-3.1GHz.

Seriously though, so long as you are not gaming or video editing (my only reason for upgrading), a C2D or C2Q is really all you need. Pair it with a real GPU (like a modern passively cooled one), 4-8GB of ram, and an SSD, and most people would not know the difference between it and a brand new i3. With the SSD it feels faster than most modern computers anyways.

[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Too bad it isn't PCI Express 3.0 In fact all SB-E desktop CPU are not PCIe 3.0Only them Xeon SB-E are PCIe 3.0The desktop are just PCIe 2.0http://ark.intel.com/compare/64615 [...] 3698,63697[/citation]

I know several people with SB-E systems and a few of them are confirmed to be running their graphics cards in PCIe 3.0 specs. There's something wrong with that Intel sheet. The SB-E CPUs sometimes need minor mods or special drivers to run in PCI3 3.0, but they can do it.

G

so either i can overclocked the Core i7-3960X like 200mhz OR buy another $1000 chip. wow people are dumb.

[citation][nom]dfiodsfjkshk[/nom]so either i can overclocked the Core i7-3960X like 200mhz OR buy another $1000 chip. wow people are dumb.[/citation]

You could have also gone with an i7-3930K and overclocked it for the same performance, but while saving over $400 compared to spending $1K.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]You could have also gone with an i7-3930K and overclocked it for the same performance, but while saving over $400 compared to spending $1K.[/citation]
Most people who buy intel extremes would be better off buying an i5.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I know several people with SB-E systems and a few of them are confirmed to be running their graphics cards in PCIe 3.0 specs. There's something wrong with that Intel sheet. The SB-E CPUs sometimes need minor mods or special drivers to run in PCI3 3.0, but they can do it.[/citation]

The Sandybridge-E chips shipped before any PCIe 3.0 cards were available and thus Intel had nothing to test it with. With Intel being a conservative company they decided to simply say that it's only second gen and left it up to the motherboard manufacturers to decide whether or not to enable third gen. Fortunately it seems to work fine

[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]Hmm gf can get me one for xmas[/citation]

Why? It won't be more than a few percent better than the 3930K if you simply bump up the multiplier for the 3930K up to that of the 3970X in the motherboard BIOS and the 3930K would be only somewhat more than half the price.

G

it does support pcie 3 however it is an early version and has a lot of issues -its like a beta version. If you want PCIe 3 support then I would wait for intel to come out with another LGA2011 chipset or use the expensive c600 chipset (that I believe only supports expensive xeon processors) however it does support full pcie 3 without any issues that I know of.

G

I can hazard a guess why it is not 8 core. They would have problems selling the low end 8 core Xeon chips, as these would probably almost match or even better them at a sunstantially lower cost.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]PL3[/nom]I can hazard a guess why it is not 8 core. They would have problems selling the low end 8 core Xeon chips, as these would probably almost match or even better them at a sunstantially lower cost.[/citation]

That might be it, but I think that it's related to Intel not wanting to sell consumer CPUs that are more server optimized than consumer optimized. An eight core model would need a reduced clock frequency. That's make it inferior to the six core models for most consumer work and not much better for very well-threaded work. That we don't have the option of turning it into an eight-core model in the BIOS is probably because of Intel not wanting us to have cheap eight core models.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
[citation][nom]guzami77[/nom]I currently run an i7-990x, and have a free replacement plan expiring January 2013.Looks like I'll be picking this one up.. but I dont see any reason anyone else would.[/citation]

It's January 2013. I hope you got your new processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.