Intel Core i7-5960X, -5930K, And -5820K CPU Review: Haswell-E Rises

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hmm so for gaming, we're looking at either the 5820 or 4690..

How would the cost of said systems compare, assuming we could create them as equal as possible? Would the performance benefits of the 5820 justify the additional cost?

I'm still running on my old x58 i7 920, but it's starting to BSOD on CPU intensive games (although I suspect its my mobo that's the issue)...

I wanted to build a new system this year, but don't want to make the same mistake I did with the x58 and be left with something that simply can't be upgraded after a year or so. At the same time, I don't want to buy into old tech if that too won't last..

I have had a good run with my x58 mind, but am wary Intel may do what they did with my Gen 1 i7, and change something fundamental with the platform/DDR4 to mean I'll be 'stuck' with whatever I buy now...

my i7930 was kicking ass too, but yeah my six your old Evga SLI3 finally died... If they still made x58 boards I buy another in a hearthbeat... I guess thats the thing... Perhaps I should buy two "skylake" mobo for my next build and and put the other in cryonics! I dropped about $250 on my current AMD build... And it works fine... Intel is getting greedier!

Also I like to add, I think the $400 of the 5820K is bullshit... $300 is pushing it for me on CPU's

it looks like just due to the ddr4 ram alone (which has x2 the bandwidth normal ddr3 has) you'll see a 10%-15% increase in performance at the same clock speed....

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
As newer generations of GPU technology emerge, more graphically intensive games, and higher (4k/8k) resolutions become more common, it defiantly does make a difference. Even 2x GTX 780s become bottlenecked by 8x8x when gaming at 4k. Though I agree the 5820 is practical, for some, I defiantly don't agree that it is for gamers, never-the-less, extreme gaming enthusiasts.

When will these newer GPU techs, graphic intensive games and 4k/8k become more common? By then Intel will be hawking at least a 6000x series CPU using the same motherboard or a newer 7000x using a newly designed motherboard obsoleting the 5960x. My wild guess is that a 5820k will probably more than suffice until then.

Nuckles_56

Admirable
As newer generations of GPU technology emerge, more graphically intensive games, and higher (4k/8k) resolutions become more common, it defiantly does make a difference. Even 2x GTX 780s become bottlenecked by 8x8x when gaming at 4k. Though I agree the 5820 is practical, for some, I defiantly don't agree that it is for gamers, never-the-less, extreme gaming enthusiasts.

When will these newer GPU techs, graphic intensive games and 4k/8k become more common? By then Intel will be hawking at least a 6000x series CPU using the same motherboard or a newer 7000x using a newly designed motherboard obsoleting the 5960x. My wild guess is that a 5820x will probably more than suffice until then.

Hopefully by the time that happens, we will have GPU's which are able to play at 4k at high to ultra settings on just a single card

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

Actually the 5820K is a $300 CPU vs $279 for a 4790k at MC.

InvalidError

Titan

That might happen with 16nm GPUs possibly as soon as next year if they manage to reduce the GPUs' dependence on raw memory bandwidth by roughly half. If they cannot, then it will have to wait until they can integrate something like 512MB-1GB of on-package ultra-fast memory.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

Read closer its not just the CPU cost; its the cost of newly designed LGA 2011-3 motherboard and DDR4 Ram that are also needed to run it. Total cost is about $1000

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Looks promising... But if you only want to game 90% of the time, why would you want a Haswell-E over the other Haswells?

I'm not going to knock anyone for choosing this as their next gaming platform. At one point, I was thinking the same. But I realized, it's better to just be realistic about what I really wanted to do and consider the other things I could do with a 4790K too. But again, to each his own. It's certainly a step up from IvyB-E...

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Out of curiosity why were so many of the gaming tests only done at 2560x1440? Seems like you would be more GPU bound at this resolution. I'm not sure it really matters but I do like gaming at 1080p for the very high frame rates was curious if these would push frame rates higher. Otherwise nice review.
Wanted to pick a realistic resolution that someone with a $400+ CPU would run at. Actually started with 4K, but would have had to rely on graphics drivers not yet optimized for SLI/CrossFire in the process, which was just one more variable to consider.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Why do they call these their "5th generation" of Intel core processors if they're refreshes of the Haswell processors? I get that they have revolutionary technology within but with the release of broadwell so soon I doubt that anyone would buy these processors..

They always count their core-E chips as "next-gen." They have been doing it since Sandy Bridge anyway. The SB-E were 3xxxK chips even though SB were 2xxxK. At least these are coming out BEFORE Broadwell, not like the IB-E chips.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Compared to SB-E or IB-E this is waste of money and no really performance gain. I have SB-E overclocked 4.8GHz therefore i5960K doesn't touch it since overclocking on those sucks. This whole deal would make sense if they made i5930K to be cheaper 8 core processor and i5820K to be what i5930K is now but that's too good for consumers according to assholes from Intel. After all, I can drop Xeon 8 Core to X79 motherboard heck even Xeon 10 or 12 Core. (eVga x79 board supports it). Socket change wasn't needed and this whole thing could be done on existing x79 boards.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
The only reason you'd create a rig for Has-E, is because you crunch numbers for a living or you're just an absolute fanatic about having the very best rig possible. For everyone else, go with the Refresh or hang out until Broadwell comes down the block.

first batch of bdw (core.. (AHE)M...) will make hsw-e look like 'worth buying'.

You're not taking into consideration the IPC improvements between SB-E and HW-E. HW-E can do more work per cycle so the slightly lower clocks aren't a problem. Also consider the extra PCIe lanes, USB support, DDR4, as well as the newer instruction sets in the CPU and there's a fair amount of improvements here.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Not enough to warrant an upgrade from an oc'd SB-E. Btw, SB-E also has 40 PCIe lanes, just a slower
speed, though PLEX switches, etc., solve this in many cases (Asrock X79 Extreme11, ASUS P9X79-E WS,
that sort of thing).

Even an oc'd 5960X is not that much quicker than an oc'd 3930K, especially not given the cost. It's faster
(of course it is), but not that much faster. Power consumption is what may make the difference for the
lesser 5K CPUs; add that to the equation and perhaps then it would make sense, unless the total rig draw
was high anyway.

Ian.

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Like several others have mentioned, I would very much like to hear why the 5820 beats the 5930 in the gaming tests. This makes no sense at all, given that it is a slower chip, and all else should be equal as far as we know. On other sites this is not the case, so it would be good to get to the bottom of this, right now we might be drawing the wrong conclusions.

Jesusv

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Such a beauty. This past week has been very stressful in my personal life and while this machine will not fix my problems it would certainly make me forget and feel happy. *Sigh* A man can dream.

Jesusv

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
for some giggles how come you didn't add the Pentium 4 in the test? I mean you mentioned the Pentium 4 and compared it to the new haswell 5-series. Not that it would matter to anyone, I am sure hardly anyone is still using a Pentium 478 setup anymore, but none the less it would be interesting to see it compared with the rest of the newer toys of today.

I still have an socket 478 Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT computer that is used everyday. I have recently updated it to Windows 7 SP1 x86 (last Windows it will ever run since Windows 8.1 not compatible). The Windows performance rating is of 3.4 (CPU rated 3.4) and runs decent. It can play Minecraft and watch youtube videos at 360p. I'll like to see how it stacks up against a Haswell cpu!!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Find it strange that the slower clocked 5920k (in any non overclocked scenario) runs faster that the 5930k in TH's tests while many other sites shows a different picture especially with higher GPU power involved than a single card. Sure the test board recongizes the chip properly and run at its rated speed rather than have it overclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS