Intel Core i7-875K And Core i5-655K Battle Beyond 4 GHz

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Darn, I can't wait for unlocked Sandy Bridge. Intel should unlock all its processors but put a pop-up on boot so venders won't sell overclocked computer as highend PC.

To me this validates AMD's X4 965 as one of the best for gaming available. It consistently stayed with or surpassed the Intel i5, even with the extra 667Mhz speed.
Also I think this article shows that hyper-threading is definitely not the same as additional physical cores. But it sure helps a dual core compete with similarly clocked quads.

atdhe

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
When will you guys ever test a CPU demanding strategy game in CPU related articles, it's always those shooters...

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
It's been suggested before, so here it is again. If games are not able to take full advantage of the cores/threads available, then why not run two or more programs or program/games at the same time.

Try playing Crysis with a DVD ripping in the background. I will assume that just about everybody uses their computer for multi-tasking.

The reason I bought my X3 was so I could set the affinity's and actually use my computer, and have a useful computer, when converting files.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
When doing CPU benchamriking on games, it would be nice to see atleast one test at LOW RESOLUTIONS.

It may not be an accurate demonstration of how it would be used in the real world, but it could be very relevant info. It could shed some light on how these specific CPUs might scale 3 years later after brand new GPU upgrade.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I've got an i7 920 and XIGMATEK Dark Knight. Due to the insane amount of parts in my case though, my CPU has always run pretty hot.

I've overclocked to 166x21, which means 3.5GHz since my CPU runs at 2.8GHZ stock for some reason . . .

I'm overvolted to 1.275V on the CPU Core and everything else is stock. CPU-Z says I'm running at 1.248V. I'm perfectly stable, but temperatures get up to 88C under normal 100% load and up to 92C in Prime95.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Quite farnkly im dissappointed by another BIASED review. I quit reading after page 3 for these reasons:

1, page 2 states Intel 4.8ghz on Air?, sure! then goes to explain that 4.8ghz was unstable
2. Overclock settings were bunk.
Intel : Again, Turbo Boost was turned off for this one, with Hyper-Threading and SpeedStep turned on.
AMD : I struggled to get the hexa-core 1090T stable at 4.3 GHz with Turbo CORE enabled.

Lets disable the boost on one cpu but not the underdog to try and show that it doesn't overclock as well. 4.3 with turbo enabled jumps to 4.7Ghz with your 200mhz bus speed when windows finishes loading and you start running 1 core. There is your stability issue. 4.0 with TC enabled runs 4.4Ghz

Why would you do one beneficial overclocking tweak with 1 cpu but not the other. Bias much?

djdarko321

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
hmmmm another 2 core vs 4 core and 4 core vs 6 core test LMAO cmon people! and Sandy Bridge is the answer for bulldozer sorry :) Bulldozer will finally catch AMD up to the i7's but not sandy bridge ..... AMD need 4 cores to beat 2 and 6 to beat out ALL core 2 quads and fight the i7 930/940

need more originality people to make these chips come out faster and cheaper which would in turn, help us advance and evolve more with technology

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Let's review price performance here....

1055t for $199 and it WILL GO to 4Ghz or HIGHER at 1.45v with a $30 heatsink.

As noob2222 said...U MUST DISABLE THE "Turbo".

Mine's at 4ghz and scores a 7.13 on Cinebench 11.5! That's Multi-threaded MADNESS for under 200 bones..

G

mines 11.8 intel ofc but whatever. ...... do Audio/video production like i do and watch ur budget minded AMD crap choke. u get what u pay for.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]djdarko321[/nom]hmmmm another 2 core vs 4 core and 4 core vs 6 core test LMAO cmon people! and Sandy Bridge is the answer for bulldozer sorry Bulldozer will finally catch AMD up to the i7's but not sandy bridge ..... AMD need 4 cores to beat 2 and 6 to beat out ALL core 2 quads and fight the i7 930/940need more originality people to make these chips come out faster and cheaper which would in turn, help us advance and evolve more with technology[/citation]

Bulldozer's core setup is literally two cores as one. This in itself will be significantly more powerful, in principle, than Nehalem and its Hyper-Threading which only duplicates certain parts in order to aid in multi-threading.

AMD have been developing the STARS successor for years now. They're not bringing out another derivative.

Let's wait and see. For all we know, Bulldozer will be far more capable than STARS and a little more capable than the Nehalem architecture clock-for-clock even without HT, and as we've seen from Intel recently, you don't always get what you expect - Larrabee was touted as something incredibly powerful, then enthusiasm dipped when it became apparent that was not the case, and then it got killed in its present form. Until we get benchmarks on both camps, there's really no sense in predicting Bulldozer will fail.

Back to Thuban, disable Cool 'n' Quiet - the processor has independently clocked cores which switch faster than the original Phenom's implementation, but we saw how much Phenom's performance was crippled under Vista. And we've never really had a proper test to show how much of an improvement Windows 7 offers over Vista's poor scheduling system. If you don't want to disable CnQ, practice what you preach - use K10Stat and mess with the p-states and voltages. If the lowest P-State is 800MHz as with the other Phenom IIs... change it to 1.6GHz! At least reduce the opportunity for the processor to be trying to work at 800MHz.

djdarko321

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
i see some paper pushing goin on w fanboi'sm :p i agree Huda .... blah blah blah AMD will finally catch up to the i7's then intel's newer stuff .... takes money to build things w good paid engineers and need i say more? need more companies not fanboys srsly tnx reality pwns all

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
One Nehalem HT core is far more complex and far more power hungry than a STARS core. In most benchmarks, where the 8-threaded Intel CPUs beat the 6-threaded AMD CPUs, it's not by much. If each AMD core had an HT-style implementation, a 12-thread AMD CPU, assuming it was properly fed.

Intel certainly have the lead now, and if Bulldozer falls short, so be it. The next year will be interesting, but I do hope that AMD don't lose their hold on the budget sector.

djdarko321

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
im not gonna repeat myself soz. but i do recommend you read ALL my postings on this link here @ Tom's ofc then post back here logically and correct. I DO WISH INTEL WAS CHEAPER FO SHO! but, due to market shananigans that Intel loves to play, we wont see AMD as aggressively "original" back when they took that crappy proc and gave it an IMC removing the FSB. nvm im not gonna type all that again soz. READ ALL of what i posted tope of 4th page on this link and all the way down XD tnx

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
AMD will not loose hold on the budget sector bc Intel will always use their same old greedy pricing structure and let AMD pick up the scraps. That way there is no anti-trust against Intel and they have that much more money to throw at R&D and keep the cycle rolling.

I still say if you're using heavily threaded apps. The new six core chips from AMD are offering the best price performance right now. Bulldozer with "2 actual cores per core" (sharing the same cache mind you..) should be another huge performance leap for such task.

Now can software catch up please?!?!

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I ask for the voltage memory to be included into the specifications, in the "Test Setup" page.

It's very important, because as lower is the voltage better is the potential of overclocking,

Status
Not open for further replies.