News Intel Core i9-13900K and Core i5-13600K Review: Raptor Lake Beats Ryzen 7000

Intel also says that Raptor Lake can provide the same performance as Alder Lake in multi-threaded work at a mere quarter of the power. Yes, you read that right -- Intel says Raptor can match a 241W Alder lake chip, but with only 65W of power. We're putting that to the test
Looking forward to this. I think an undervolting and/or underclocking vs performance analysis could be a very beneficial write-up this generation.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I am curious what the temps are on this thing under full load. The power draw is both tremendous in general yet impressive compared to 12th gen. Anyways I'd assume similar or lower temps due to process maturity despite increased core count but some tests would have been nice (or am I blind?).

Edit: found some reviewers who did and its not pretty at all. Much worse than 12th gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: phenomiix6
Thanks for the benchmark!

I'm still getting all the information into my head, but so far, it's more or less what I expected for Raptor Lake: higher power, same-ish performance to Ry7K at the top, better value at the mid tier (the 13600K is not "low" xD). Interesting point about the cooling needed: maybe the price difference could cover the cooling difference? Also, can this CPU work at 100°C without doing a "death run"? Has Intel said anything about it?

EDIT: Also, DDR5-6800 for Raptor Lake... Dayum. Not trying that hard for Ryzen 7K? xD

I'll definitely have more to comment on after I bask in more glorious reviews :D

Regards.

This are some very impresive gen to gen improvements.

Seems that both Zen 4 and Raptor Lake still suffer in some games vs the old R7 5800X3D, but then again if you are a gamer with a midrange or high-midrange card, and play at 1440p or higher then the difference in those games will be really small, and any of this last gen chips will do great on the system.

To bad both Intel and AMD are pusing power limits and temps, but I guess thats the price to pay if you want fearless competition and to get big performance leaps from one gen to the next.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Time for AMD to drastically slash Zen 4 prices. They're royally getting their clock cleaned by Raptor Lake when it comes to price / FPS.

A stock $319 i5 13600k is beating a $699 Ryzen 9 7950.

Not to mention people don't need to upgrade to DDR5 with Raptor Lake if they don't want to, which makes Raptor Lake even cheaper.

Last edited:

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Now AMD will release the 3d memory stacked versions and take the lead it looks like.

Having competition is good for consumers.

I'll probably be looking to upgrade to a new system soon. Waiting to see what AMD has coming for graphics before making a decision on direction though. Maybe they will release the large cache chips by then too!

Reactions: purple_dragon

Co BIY

Splendid
Interesting - Looks like 13400 on a 6XX series board will be a great deal if performance gains hold out with DDR4.

AMD releases 7XXX series 3D in 5,4,3,2 .....

While Intel holds KS in reserve.

Glad I'm not a Whale flush with money - so many harpoons out there.

Reactions: KyaraM and Why_Me
For our stock tests, we're sticking with our standard policy of allowing the motherboard to exceed Intel's recommended power limits, provided the chip remains within warrantied operating conditions.
They aren't recommended power limits but the power limits and going beyond them does void your warranty since only up to PL2 is warrantied operating conditions...you can stick to PL2 forever and that is warrantied but lifting that limit is not.

Just because intel doesn't dictate mobo makers or reviewers on what settings they are forced to use (to make benches look better) doesn't mean that they cover it in their warranty.

In my opinion AMD 5800X3D is still the King , in a few games is by far much better than 13900k , with a sub 100w power consumtion , versus 250w ...omg. My next pick is Ryzen 7700X . If anyone search on Youtube you can have a Ryzen 7xxx more power eficient , cooler and without performance loss . I live in Europe and the electricity price is high asf , Intel is a no go for me , this time i think ill go with AMD.

Reactions: A Stoner

jtcmedia

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
Time for AMD to drastically slash Zen 4 prices. They're royally getting their clock cleaned by Raptor Lake when it comes to price / FPS.

A stock $319 i5 13600k is beating a $699 Ryzen 9 7950.

Not to mention people don't need to upgrade to DDR5 with Raptor Lake if they don't want to, which makes Raptor Lake even cheaper.
I am sure AMD had already planned to slash Zen 4 prices. They released first, dupe the people with big pockets that want the latest tech yesterday, then slash to compete.

fybyfyby

Commendable
Dec 25, 2019
Exactly what was expected. Intel again takes ST crown but overall performance is crippled by high power consumption. I believe on lower tdp raptor lake is great cpu even when not as effective as zen4. But they are comparable. Amd needs to do something about motherboard prices. Probably am5 mb will last few gens, but they're really expensive.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
In my opinion AMD 5800X3D is still the King , in a few games is by far much better than 13900k , with a sub 100w power consumtion , versus 250w ...omg. My next pick is Ryzen 7700X . If anyone search on Youtube you can have a Ryzen 7xxx more power eficient , cooler and without performance loss . I live in Europe and the electricity price is high asf , Intel is a no go for me , this time i think ill go with AMD.
Why would you pick a 7700x over a 13600k? 13600 is faster, costs less, potentially much less, and is in the same ballpark in power usage.

Why would you pick a 7700x over a 13600k? 13600 is faster, costs less, potentially much less, and is in the same ballpark in power usage.
For power consumption , watch the diferences , 13600k is more power hungry between 60w - 100+w more than 7700X , just look at the charts.And you can make 7700X more eficient . And maybe AM5 will last a few years like they did with AM4 , just swap the CPU.