News Intel Core i9-13900K and Core i5-13600K Review: Raptor Lake Beats Ryzen 7000

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Whatever is most important to you decides what you should get. Are you a more power concious user that can still get 90% of the performance at a slightly higher cost for the platform? Get an AMD platform. Do you want the absolute best or bang for your buck? Get either the 13600k or 13700k based platform on DDR5 for performance or DDR4 for budget. Right now is one of the best times in the last 20 year for buying a CPU and its platform. Cannot say the same for GPUs, but it is what it is.
If he can live with 90% of the performance he can also get an intel system and limit the power a bit, or get a lower cpu like the 13700k.
Other than that yeah, look at benchmarks and get whatever you like most, AMD or intel doesn't really make much difference for the run of the mill 3080 system.

If he can live with 90% of the performance he can also get an intel system and limit the power a bit, or get a lower cpu like the 13700k.
Other than that yeah, look at benchmarks and get whatever you like most, AMD or intel doesn't really make much difference for the run of the mill 3080 system.
AMD and intel are comparable in performance but not at the same power budget. AMD is still more efficient per frame including if you power limit Intel to the same wattage. Please inform me if I am wrong on this one!

logainofhades

Titan
Looking to upgrade my PC Thanks for the Review . Which one do I choose for Rtx 3080, intel or Ryzen?

Ryzen if you want to be able to do a drop in upgrade later, as AM5 will have support through 2025, possibly more. If you are going to keep it, until it's no longer able to perform as you would want it to, then build another, go Intel. AM5 is fresh, while LGA 1700 is dead after 13th gen. Either choice you are going to get great performance.

Reactions: RodroX
AMD and intel are comparable in performance but not at the same power budget. AMD is still more efficient per frame including if you power limit Intel to the same wattage. Please inform me if I am wrong on this one!
This bench is not power limited, in apps the 13900k draws 276W avg, above the 251 which is the max.
In gaming the avg is 148W for intel and 135W for amd.
Avg FPS per wat is 3.5 for the 13900k and 3.6 for the 7950x.
It's completely ignorable.

Reactions: helper800
Meh, others destroy brand new thousands of dollars worth of GPUs to get a card to use more power and others complain that a company just has a switch that you can turn on and off...because the OEM does it instead of them...
https://www.google.com/search?q=voltage+shunt+mod+gpu
I mean a lot of companies release BIOS's for their higher end cards with very high or unrestricted wattage which gets you half way there. Voltage has always been a touchy subject for Nvidia. They don't want people to get too much more performance out of their cards at certain tiers, because they want you to have to spend the money to get that performance.

Brian D Smith

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
Big companies cannot thrive by catering to a 'specialty market'. If they aren't in the big-box retailers, they will not be successful.
I mean...that's just the reality. Until AMD and Intel can stop their heat war and give people what they really want...well...the financials will speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Big companies cannot thrive by catering to a 'specialty market'. If they aren't in the big-box retailers, they will not be successful.
I mean...that's just the reality. Until AMD and Intel can stop their heat war and give people what they really want...well...the financials will speak for themselves.
Well, what do you think that people do want?!
Because intel has an 13900t which is the exact same CPU but running on 35W with a max turbo power of 106W
I would be extremely curious about finding sales numbers that show how many people buy the t versions of cpus instead of the base model, the k, or ks ones.

And both companies sell their laptop CPUs that you can find in plenty of desktops, miniPCs and similar things.
There is a CPU out there for everybody, no matter what they want to do with it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
T chips tend to come with OEM SFF PCs where cooling space is limited. These are basically equivalent to the highly binned laptop chips so that they can achieve higher clock speeds at lower power. The worst CPUs for efficiency end up as K usually, next is the regular chips, and finally the highly efficient T variants. They are usually priced as such.

I have purchased a T class CPU before for an HTPC. You can just take a normal CPU and set low power limits. Sometimes you can match the T class chips, sometimes you have to reduce the clocks a little.

Brian D Smith

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
Well, TerryLaze...I should think that would be clear from my comments.
Oh, and did you see the 'big headline' today from Intel about their upcoming Meteor Lake chips? What did they tout? 50% increase in efficiency! Give the people what they want.