Intel Core i9 Gulftown Chip Sold on Ebay, Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Lol, sell it without ID blurred, seller is going to have fun with Intel tomorrow. Idiot. That was actually really cheap, but as redgarl said it might need a bios update. Considering these are going to be $700?? in x months paying $500 more for it 4 months early wasn't bad.

G

I would rather have programs that utilized 2 - 4 core processors efficiently.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This chip could be the deal of the century in the right hands.

Let's say I wanted to start a new hardware website. I could create instant, and massive, traffic with this processor alone. I'm not obligated to withhold information like those stuck behind an NDA, and any acrimony from Intel would only help the site more.

For someone wanting to start a site, this is worth much more than $1200. Oh, and when it's actually out in the wild, you have a pretty capable machine as well.

I'd call it a bargain.

[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]For $1200 and $850 it's probably going to be a bargain compared to Intel's final street price![/citation]
Indeed considering the best core i7 is already about $1000.

G

probably a scam... Lately Asia is on the increase with scamming customers by selling non existing goods.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]This chip could be the deal of the century in the right hands.Let's say I wanted to start a new hardware website. I could create instant, and massive, traffic with this processor alone. I'm not obligated to withhold information like those stuck behind an NDA, and any acrimony from Intel would only help the site more. For someone wanting to start a site, this is worth much more than $1200. Oh, and when it's actually out in the wild, you have a pretty capable machine as well. I'd call it a bargain.[/citation]

The only problem with that is this would be your only one big ticket as Intel would end up shunning you. You would be blacklisted from many hardware manufacturers for practices that show you are not to be trusted. You would end up being a one hit wonder site.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]phhh... will be funny seing the guy buying this to realize that no motherboards is compatible without a proper BIOS update... that will come out in a while...[/citation]
Yeah... the Foxconn Bloodrage has had the Gulftown beta bios available for a while now...

$1,200 is a decent price I believe. I hope though Intel releases a complete SoC (or AMD as they can do a much better GPU/CPU combo).

Were's AMD though? They make such awesome server chips, but their desktop chips are absolutely dissapointing...

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]The only problem with that is this would be your only one big ticket as Intel would end up shunning you. You would be blacklisted from many hardware manufacturers for practices that show you are not to be trusted. You would end up being a one hit wonder site.[/citation]

That's not as clear as you make it. Intel wouldn't necessarily distrust you. Your confusion seems to be from assuming the purchaser broke the NDA, which he or she did not. Consequently, that person did nothing dishonest. The originator of the device would accrue some ill-will from Intel.

Were a site to break an NDA, that would be a bridge burner. A site that didn't, and suddenly has a lot of traffic because they legally bought the processor and reviewed it honestly isn't the same thing.

Either way, before you review the processor Intel isn't giving you anything, and if they don't after, you're still in the same boat. At least you have a venue and some readers, and if you write quality articles about even existing products, you have a chance. It's worth $1200 if you really want to try it. It's the best chance to get started you'll ever have.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Maybe what is happening her is that these chipset partners want to do field testing and part of the agreement for the private sales on these things is to be a (very quiet!!!) guinea pig for testing them - especially if they wanted to get them out to some serious fanatic gamers or other high-end users with deep pockets.

What a better way could anyone think of to do so without getting Intel's permission for letting them out or letting them you know you are checking up on their designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.