Intel cpu's are now convex?

Cableaddict

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
I just received a new 5960x. I was checking it with a razorblade to see how curved it was, needing to decide if lapping was a good idea (I still have no clue, ughh...)

I have read many times that Intel cpu's are typically concave (on purpose, I assume) and AMD's are convex. See for instance this TOM'S article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-sink-heat-spreader,3600-3.html

Well, my 5960x is conVEX, and looks exactly like the AMD diagram in that article.

I thought I'd mention it here, as a starting point for discussion, but also a question:
----------------------

How will this affect contact with my cpu cooler? I was under the assumption that lapping hasn't been helpful for a number of years now, maybe because the IHS's are more flexible than in the past & so mates with the middle of the cooler, then flattens out under tension.

Well, cooler surfaces look about the same as before, so I'm a little worried.

Does anyone know what the deal is with all of this?

Well
" Due to the mounting pressure of the CPU cooler, the thermal compound is thinnest where most of the heat needs to be transferred."
So it would seem the same is true for your CPU. The heatspreader and heatsink will have the easiest contact with the hottest part of the CPU.

Cableaddict

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Well, yeah, but that doesn't really answer my questions.

The old Intel cpu's were concave, and worked fine with the current crop of coolers. Now all of a sudden they are convex, so is this a concern?

Or is mine an anomaly, and I should return it?