Intel Cuts Prices of Core 2 Duo, Pentium CPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
It's an ASROCK 4 Core Dual SATA II rated for up to Quad 6600, so I'm cool. I've had it up an running (save for a blown OCZ power supply) for about 6 months.

I bought it to keep using old AGP video cards (a Visiontek x1550 and an 9800 AIW Pro - and no, the TV program has crashed permanently - defeating the purpose of buying the board in the first place).

As soon as I can negotiate it with the wife, I'm upgrading to PCI 2.0.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Yay!
These would have been useful 6 months ago to me though... Now like hell Im going anything less than i5 or i7.

AMD, what`s your response... Don`t die on us, Intel needs some x86 competition... (Though IBM could always join the game and absolutely wipe everyone, except not x86.)

[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]That joke is a classic it always works![/citation]

Exactly. I smile a little everytime I see it.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I'm still trying to get the point behind the i5. I mean, why the Hell does Intel create a double standard cpu format? I mean with the LGA 775 you can still buy something as cheap as an old P4 or go all the way up to an Extreme on (in most cases) the same board. You could start up with a top-end board and upgrade the rest one piece at a time as cash became available and you didn't have to replace the motherboard.

Now they are making a set that, if you are forced to settle for a cheaper i5 cpu to start up, there is no way to go for the gold without ALSO having to cough up to buy a new mother board. The only sane thing to do if you want to build up to an top-end system is limp along on your old system until you can afford to buy the i7 set.

The thing here that really gets me is it's like they are competing with themselves. The i7's blow everything away. The i5 will be about even with the current AMD, why not buy the AMD instead as it will likely be cheaper and if they finally get their mojo back to compete with i7 you'll be able to upgrade without changing the motherboard?

I'm confused.

salem80

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
i bought my Phenom II x3 710 for 100$ from newegg it will take a year to see processor in the same price an performance from Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.