[SOLVED] Intel D3 S4510 480 GB SSD showing up as 270GB

Nov 16, 2019
Hi all,

I just bought a bulk lot of Intel D3 S4510 Enterprise 480GB SSD drives. They all have exactly the same issue, namely that they show up as 270GB drives (or 251GB depending on where I look). I have tried them on 2 systems with the same issue - see screenshots from Intel SSD Toolbox, CrystalDisk Info and Win 10 Disk Management below.

They also show up as 270GB in the Gigabyte Z270N BIOS (system 1) and in the Lenovo Diagnostic Tool (booted on system 2)

They all pass the SMART tests with flying colours and I have tried running a low level format with Killdisk as well as a Secure Erase with Parted Magic, and it makes no difference.

Is this SSD just incompatible with both of my systems, or is there something else I can do to make full use of the drive space?

System 1: Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi (newest BIOS, version F6d), Core i7 7700K, 16GB RAM etc.
System 2: Lenovo Thinkpad T540P (newest BIOS, version 2.37 (GMET89WW))

Bonus: Attached to either system via USB3-SATA cable - same result.

Thanks in advance!

cJgZtHQ.jpg

Nov 16, 2019
It seems I've stumbled across a solution while investigating whether DCO (Device Configuration Overlay) might have been active.

It wasn't, but while browsing the different options of the HDAT2 tool (launched from a USB boot disk), I came across the Set Max Address menu.

picture03.jpg

Here I noticed that the size of the drives had been defined as only 270GB, i.e. "USER" was set at 270GB, whereas the NATIVE value was 480.10GB. HDAT2 suggested the full native size automatically, so I just needed to use the "Set" command to revert to the full drive size.

All is good now, the drives are seen as 480GB in BIOS as well as Windows 10, and they pass all tests I've tried so far. Happy days! :)

I've marked Popatim's answer as the most helpful, because I learned something new, and it helped point me towards HDAT2