News Intel Details Its Bitcoin-Mining 'Bonanza Mine' Chips and Systems

bluvg

Commendable
Jan 15, 2022
"Intel says these are 7nm ASICs, but doesn't specify if that is its own 'Intel 7,' the original 7nm before it renamed the process node to 'Intel 4,' or TSMC's 7nm process."

Please, don't continue using "nm" as an actual measure. It hasn't been for a long time; it's now an extrapolation. Transistor density is a much more useful metric for comparison. Intel renamed its current process to Intel 7 because it is of analogous density to TSMS's N7 (note TSMC also doesn't label it "7nm").

Last edited:
Reactions: shady28

Kenneth Harden

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
Please, for the love of all that is holy, let 'something else' (besides gaming GPUs) be the smart choice for mining and pull the rug out from under that market. Honestly, if this keeps up for too much longer it is going to start doing real damage to the PC gaming industry.

I am thankful I have a 'pre crazy times' 2080 that is serving me well, but I constantly worry about what happens if it dies. Well I do have an old 760 sitting in a box!

Feb 20, 2022
Are you sure about those specs? 40TH at 3600W is poor. New Bitmain is 140TH at 3000W.

I was thinking the same thing.

Bitmain's current flagship antminer s19pro is actually 110th/s @3250w. Canaan flagship Avalon 1246 runs 90th/s @ 3400w.

Either way, the best offerings from Bitmain (s19p) and Canaan (a1246) absolutely blow the doors off of Intel's latest offering. Not sure what I'm missing here.... Intel has to increase their efficiency by 60% or more to come close to matching current iterations.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Please, for the love of all that is holy, let 'something else' (besides gaming GPUs) be the smart choice for mining and pull the rug out from under that market. Honestly, if this keeps up for too much longer it is going to start doing real damage to the PC gaming industry.

I am thankful I have a 'pre crazy times' 2080 that is serving me well, but I constantly worry about what happens if it dies. Well I do have an old 760 sitting in a box!

I hear you. If my Vega 56 dies my 970 would need to come out of retirement and start pumping frames again