Intel Disputes CPU Bug Claims

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Intel I still have your old Pentium 60 with the bad math bug. How long did it take to fess up on that? O the programmers can make work around I think was one of those desputes. What was that division formula to prove the math bug?

This affects ALL Intel CPUs back to 1995. Over 20 years this problem has been around and because it won't leave any fingerprints on the system we have no way of knowing if this has been exploited or not.

tonypomfret

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

tonypomfret

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Intel doesn't want you to know that every Intel processor since 1995 that implements out-of-order execution is potentially affected by Meltdown – except Itanium, and the Atom before 2013.

SylentVyper

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Having been involved in the crypto-world the past few months, it's funny to read this line:

Intel's stocks tumbled a whopping 7% earlier in the day as AMD skyrocketed to a 10% gain.

BRANDON DAVIS

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hmpf.

So going with AMD 83xx processors my last two support-centered workstations (2013/2015) turned out to be a pretty good choice for the unforeseen future after all, eh?

(Note. My PC use is primarily multi-tasking, not gaming, and is generally informed by budget constraints and the SSD cost factor at build time period - including spec'ing NVMe in 2015 - hence my decision. Overall performance was good enough comparably, so the absolute CPU performance of Intel mattered somewhat less than usual. Both workstation are still quite useful-to-the-purpose, although I'm already planning on a Ryzen or EPYC based system late this year, early next. It's time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.