Intel Downplays the Tablet in Order to Promote the Ultrabook

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I can understand downplaying Windows tablets. What wretched and cludgy messes those were. Maybe they will do it right with Windows 8, now that someone else has shown the way.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I'm sure that the margins on Ultrabook processors is bigger than for tablets/smartphones. Not to mention that Intel's CPU have yet to gain any real traction in the tablet/smartphone area yet.

rootheday

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
The snarky tone of the second half of the article seems like the author is just being obtuse.

Intel has clearly stated that their vision is that most ultrabooks released in the second half of the year will be touch enabled (e.g. for Win8). Additionally, Intel is working with OEMs on innovative convertible form factor designs such as the Samsung Slate (the device operates normally as a tablet but has "dock" capability for physical keyboard, etc) and Lenovo Yoga (convertible between clamshell notebook mode and tablet mode).

For what its worth, I am typing this from my Toshiba Sandy Bridge based ultrabook - I can tell you that even without touch/convertibility, the experience is quite a bit different than the Lenovo T420 I had before. I was a skeptic, but after a couple days, I realized that I carry my laptop in my hand rather than in a backpack when going to meetings. I don't bring my power cord with me.

Other than the iPad and the Kindle Fire, have any of the other dozens of "media/consumption" tablet models sold in large volumes? Maybe consumers want to have both the power and productivity of a laptop and the portability and touch interface of a tablet... and maybe they would rather have that in one device rather than two.

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I diffidently see tablets replacing laptops in the future maybe within 2-3 years. I know most laptops are more powerful but with being able to run powerful apps off the cloud, internet being everywhere and having NAND based storage it is more appealing in terms of cost, convenience and battery life. Little to no moving parts(yes I know some have SSD's in laptops) but you guys can't deny it...tablets are catching up in terms of hardware.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]xmortisx[/nom]I diffidently see tablets replacing laptops in the future maybe within 2-3 years. I know most laptops are more powerful but with being able to run powerful apps off the cloud, internet being everywhere and having NAND based storage it is more appealing in terms of cost, convenience and battery life. Little to no moving parts(yes I know some have SSD's in laptops) but you guys can't deny it...tablets are catching up in terms of hardware.[/citation]

You think the laptop just all of a sudden stops being developed? Sure they catch up to the standards set by the superior device 10 years later, but what have happened with what they are trying to catch up with in that time!? I don't mind tablets for casual surfing, but anything involving typing ect i don't see the pad as useful so in my eyes its more of a toy and it seems intel have understood that as well.

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]You think the laptop just all of a sudden stops being developed? Sure they catch up to the standards set by the superior device 10 years later, but what have happened with what they are trying to catch up with in that time!? I don't mind tablets for casual surfing, but anything involving typing ect i don't see the pad as useful so in my eyes its more of a toy and it seems intel have understood that as well.[/citation]

I never said laptops will be stopped now. But in next few years yes. Tablets will catch up the capabilities of laptop including connivance and less bulkiness of them.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Intel Downplays the Tablet in Order to Promote the Ultrabook... an if intel wanna win this, they better get the start button back in windows 8....

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]rootheday[/nom]The snarky tone of the second half of the article seems like the author is just being obtuse. Intel has clearly stated that their vision is that most ultrabooks released in the second half of the year will be touch enabled (e.g. for Win8). Additionally, Intel is working with OEMs on innovative convertible form factor designs such as the Samsung Slate (the device operates normally as a tablet but has "dock" capability for physical keyboard, etc) and Lenovo Yoga (convertible between clamshell notebook mode and tablet mode). For what its worth, I am typing this from my Toshiba Sandy Bridge based ultrabook - I can tell you that even without touch/convertibility, the experience is quite a bit different than the Lenovo T420 I had before. I was a skeptic, but after a couple days, I realized that I carry my laptop in my hand rather than in a backpack when going to meetings. I don't bring my power cord with me. Other than the iPad and the Kindle Fire, have any of the other dozens of "media/consumption" tablet models sold in large volumes? Maybe consumers want to have both the power and productivity of a laptop and the portability and touch interface of a tablet... and maybe they would rather have that in one device rather than two.[/citation]

Dude, do you realize that the ultrabook is just a slimmer notebook and nothing else? That's because the components for building notebooks just got smaller as they have been getting smaller since the invention of electronics! "Ultrabook" is nothing but a marketing bullshit. It is not a new type of an animal. It is the same one but smaller.
A tablet is a completely different kind of device and it is not a notebook replacement.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]I think Laptops, Desktops, Netbooks, Ultrabooks, and Tablets can all live together in harmony, I don't think any of them will replace the other.[/citation]

Yeah, they are just different sizes for the same class of hardware - a PC. :D But many people fall into the marketing bullshit. :D

I usually use an external monitor and keyboard with my laptop so I hardly notice any difference most of the time. I don't really notice it is not a desktop until I decide to put it in the back and carry it somewhere. Then I remember how much fun it has been to carry my desktop PC around. :)

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]xmortisx[/nom]I diffidently see tablets replacing laptops in the future maybe within 2-3 years. I know most laptops are more powerful but with being able to run powerful apps off the cloud, internet being everywhere and having NAND based storage it is more appealing in terms of cost, convenience and battery life. Little to no moving parts(yes I know some have SSD's in laptops) but you guys can't deny it...tablets are catching up in terms of hardware.[/citation]

:D Basically tablets are laptops too.

UltraBook content creation meet UltraThin video and gaming. At $200 less.

I hope Intel isn't going all 'scorched earth' on tablets. There should be some great stuff out in the next 2 qtrs. Lust that Hondo and Win8.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Ultrabooks are better anyway, tablets basically take a cell phone take out the phone (useful) portion and make the useless crap more important all without a keyboard.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I don't think an ultrabook is content producing. I would rather get an Asus Prime with a keyboard for email replys and small content producing. Anything serious content producing requires a Desktop with at least 24" monitor and at least 6 cores and 8GB of memory. If you don't have does specs, you're computer is holding your content producing back. You should stop procrastinating in the coffee shop with your little ultra-book, and get to your office or home office and get some real work done.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]fellskrazykayaker[/nom]I'm sure that the margins on Ultrabook processors is bigger than for tablets/smartphones. Not to mention that Intel's CPU have yet to gain any real traction in the tablet/smartphone area yet.[/citation]
Margins on ultrabook should be less because it is a bigger frame and more parts. Tablets are a win-win for manufactures because they have less parts, are lighter, therefore use less raw materials.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]I think Laptops, Desktops, Netbooks, Ultrabooks, and Tablets can all live together in harmony, I don't think any of them will replace the other.[/citation]
Yes, but what fun is left in that argument ?

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
We have these articles talking about what tech device is replacing what other tech device, yet there is room in the market for SUVs, sports cars, sedans, economy cars, motorcycles, pickup trucks, and semi trucks all simultaneously. One isn't replacing another, they are just used by different people with different needs.

[citation][nom]LukeCWM[/nom]We have these articles talking about what tech device is replacing what other tech device, yet there is room in the market for SUVs, sports cars, sedans, economy cars, motorcycles, pickup trucks, and semi trucks all simultaneously. One isn't replacing another, they are just used by different people with different needs.[/citation]

Excellent analogy there.

[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]I don't think an ultrabook is content producing. I would rather get an Asus Prime with a keyboard for email replys and small content producing. Anything serious content producing requires a Desktop with at least 24" monitor and at least 6 cores and 8GB of memory. If you don't have does specs, you're computer is holding your content producing back. You should stop procrastinating in the coffee shop with your little ultra-book, and get to your office or home office and get some real work done.[/citation]

Not all content creation requires a $2000+ computer. A huge amount of home video work or Photoshop and such could be done on fairly cheap machines so long as it isn't very intensive work being done.

Content creation can also be referring to much lighter things like typing up books and the like. Besides that, core count does not define performance. It could be seen as a six core FX, or it could be a six core SB-E i7. I don't think i need to explain the performance difference there, but the i7 in this context should be about twice as fast as the FX in this comparison.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
i need a light weight portable pc with wifi, lan port, usb port or maybe optical drive for the onsite work, tablets just not suitable for it, an AMD fusion base netbook suddenly become the best choice.

[citation][nom]mambmd[/nom]based storage it is more appealing in terms of cost, convenience and battery life. Little to no moving parts(yes I know some have SSD's in laptops) but you guys can't deny it...tablets are catching up in terms of hardware.[/citation]

Ehh, not really. ARM CPUs (and the other comparable processors) are improving faster than the faster x86 CPUs, but the x86s are still FAR ahead of these. The mobile processors like the ARMs are just catching up to the netbook Atoms. Via and Brazos are still ahead of the Atoms and there's a huge difference between them and even Core 2, which is a mere 70% of Ivy Bridge. Sorry, but no... Tablets are not catching up yet. It will be quite a while before something like that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.