jhafner

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Hello;

I am considering buying an Intel DZ68DB mobo, but got few questions to ask regarding my previous core duo pc components:

Can my psu connectors fit/work on the new motherboard?

I have 16GB ATA hdd + 41GB ATA hdd + 160GB sata hdd, can those be connected to the motherboard or do I need a new hard disk?

I have nvidia 7300GT(512MB); will it work on the new motherboard?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards...

rvilkman

Distinguished
Unless you are getting it dirt cheap, i strongly recommend looking at a different board with more features,
such as GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 $129.99

Yes most likely your old PSU connector will work with the new motherboard. But nowadays you generally have to also attach a extra 8 pin connector to the motherboards.
And your PSU might only come with a 4 pin. However there are adapters to take that power from a molex connector in case your PSU doesn't have the 8 pin connector.

Most motherboards now don't support the ATA HDD's anymore, which is the case with the above board and the intel board you listed.
And due to the speed the new HDD and installation will give you, get a new HDD it is worth it.
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $59.99 with free shipping from newegg.

As long as the video card uses PCI-express connector it will, if it doesn't then you are pretty much out of luck. However the intel CPU's that go with the board come with built in graphics that are either HD2000 or HD3000, if you get one with HD3000 it's almost as good as the 7300GT you had before and the HD2000 will still run your basic office applications just fine and also HD video.

But generally i would say that to really do anything other than basic office stuff with the computer, i recommend you spend ~$50-60 getting a discrete GPU, which will get you into quite usable levels even for some medium gaming. Radeon 5570/6570 or 5670 will do nicely. For more serious gaming the prices start at about $100 after rebates with Radeon 6770 and GTS450.

jhafner

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

thank you very much rvilkman, you helped alot... :)

jhafner

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
also rvilkman if i put ata to sata adaptor for the 2 ata hdds, will they work then ? (as they have years of backup files)

thanks again for everything...

regards

rvilkman

Distinguished
Yeah probably, it's simply a matter of not having the right connectors on the motherboard.

So either an adaptor, or a PCI IDE controller card which will then run the IDE drives.