News Intel Engaging in 'Semi-Destructive' Actions Against AMD, Says Firm

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Well, Intel has improved a lot. Now (according to article) it's engaging only in "semi" destructive behavior. Have we forgotten the shenanigans and anti competitive behavior against AMD just a few years ago?

That's a huge "improvement"........

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
The way I look at [the CHIPS Act] is that it helps ensure domestic semiconductor production capacity is nonzero. It's a lot easier to scale up an industry from something, than to build it from nothing
Oh, certainly. And I do feel it's a net positive ... just not from a strictly economic analysis.

You can see exceptions to this in countries with tight monetary policy (as typically mandated by recipients of IMF loans) that are experiencing inflation due to rising prices of commodities they import.
In general, inflation in nation A does not cause inflation in nation B, no matter how many goods they import. The long run effect of a 20% inflationary rise in prices in a nation is an identical decrease in its currency exchange rates (technically, a 17% reduction); the short-run rate will exhibit some hysteresis. One major exception are those (mostly third-world) nations which either peg their currency, or perform a substantial amount of domestic transactions in dollars or euros, as they become de facto dual-currency economies. Otherwise, it's based strictly on a nation's balance of payments (or more precisely: the currency market's future expection of current account deficits or surpluses.)

Demand for energy is fairly inelastic, meaning that demand-reduction elsewhere can't easily cancel it out
The income effect is independent of elasticity of demand, and will remain so until the government passes legislation allowing us to spend the same dollar twice.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Intel's E-cores are apparently half the size of AMD's zen4 cores, and so we now see 24 core monolithic consumer chips from Intel.

Along with that, Intel's integrated wifi6e and Thunderbolt features and the EVO certification/quality control ... all seem more likely reasons for AMD lagging in the consumer market share.

AMD does a nice job with the game console business currently, but you have to wonder if the integrated wifi and thunderbolt features and the coming integrated directx12u tGPU will enable Intel to compete.

Reactions: KyaraM
AMD does a nice job with the game console business currently, but you have to wonder if the integrated wifi and thunderbolt features and the coming integrated directx12u tGPU will enable Intel to compete.
Amd did terrible during the ps5 launch though, and by launch I mean like the first 2 years...
PS5 where basically unobtanium for these years, AMD not having a second supplier really hurt them and sony/ms.
Sony might demand AMD to use intel foundry as a second supplier even if they keep using amd cpus.

Amd did terrible during the ps5 launch though, and by launch I mean like the first 2 years...
PS5 where basically unobtanium for these years, AMD not having a second supplier really hurt them and sony/ms.
Sony might demand AMD to use intel foundry as a second supplier even if they keep using amd cpus.
You do realize allocation to the foundries is done with years in advance for any given node, right?

Also, you're pinning the fault on AMD for Sony's miscalculation of supply? I know you dislike AMD, but that's a super hot take that doesn't even make sense. AMD is a supplier to Sony and Sony themselves are responsible for sourcing and agreeing quantities before hand. As Sony (nor Microsoft) have sued AMD for anything regarding supply, you're either completely wrong or delusional on how it works.

If you have evidence to share, by all means please do share it.

Regards.

Reactions: KyaraM and bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Intel's E-cores are apparently half the size of AMD's zen4 cores,
Wow, I wonder which has more perf/mm^2. If you compare using 2 threads, it might be a real toss-up. The E-cores should still win on perf/W, even if you downclock both to their respective peak-efficiency points.

the coming integrated directx12u tGPU will enable Intel to compete.
I was actually wondering whether AMD was going to slap a RX 6500XT in-package, for some of their laptop APUs. Their Infinity Cache should be a huge win for scaling iGPU performance, since they tend to be so severely held back by memory bottlenecks.

Reactions: KyaraM

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
PS5 where basically unobtanium for these years,
Pandemic, bro.

I'm sure AMD and Sony agreed ahead of time what the production quotas were. They probably estimated on the low side, assuming they could ramp up orders if demand was greater than anticipated, but what they'd not have predicted was that TSMC N7 capacity would be unobtanium, also.

Could be, but not for the same reasons as before.

What I'll bet they regretting is not buying options, or right of first refusal, on TSMC wafers. I don't know if TSMC would've offered that, but probably for the right price... Hindsight is 20/20, though.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You do realize allocation to the foundries is done with years in advance for any given node, right?
Not usually. Before the pandemic, I gather the wait was only a couple months, max.

that's a super hot take that doesn't even make sense.
It's not even a "hot" take, given that he's talking about > 2 years ago.

It's trying to rewrite history, or something...

Also, you're pinning the fault on AMD for Sony's miscalculation of supply? I know you dislike AMD, but that's a super hot take that doesn't even make sense. AMD is a supplier to Sony and Sony themselves are responsible for sourcing and agreeing quantities before hand. As Sony (nor Microsoft) have sued AMD for anything regarding supply, you're either completely wrong or delusional on how it works.

If you have evidence to share, by all means please do share it.

Regards.
I'm not pinning fault, I'm not even accusing of fault.
But there was a huge demand on consoles that wasn't met and that was caused by there not being a second supplier.
"and Sony themselves are responsible for sourcing and agreeing quantities before hand"
Exactly my point.
If I were one of sony/ms I would look into options for alternative/multiple sourcing for the next gen consoles.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
If I were one of sony/ms I would look into options for alternative/multiple sourcing for the next gen consoles.
Or simply purchasing "options" on additional capacity, which is to say buying priority access to additional wafers. I'm guessing there's probably more than one solution to the problems they had.

BTW, while I'm sure the consoles were ultimately limited by availability of their SoCs, we don't know that was always the gating factor. They might've faced shortages in some other components, at various times, or even assembly & shipping bottlenecks. Pandemic vs. supply chains...