[SOLVED] Intel Extreme Board DZ77GA-70K not recognizing gpu.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 11, 2019
I bought a system with this board in it, it seemed to work alright. I transferred all of the parts into a new case, and upgraded the gtx 560Ti it came with to a gtx 980. After solving a few other issues, it seems the mobo isn’t recognizing the graphics card. I tried it with the old graphics card, but nothing happened either. Basically the pc boots when hdmi is plugged into the mobo, running off of integrated graphics. But anything plugged into the gpu with send no signal. I don’t feel like a physically damaged anything while building, but I’m not sure. Please help! Thank you!

full specs

i7-3770
Intel Extreme Board DZ77GA-70K
Came with 560 Ti, but trying to use gtx 980
4x4gb Elpida Ram (don’t know speed)
High Power 600w (model: HPG-600ST-F12S)
1tb Wd Blue Hdd
Another 1.5tb hdd (seagate maybe?)
Phantek eclipse p300 case

Solution
And keep in mind, obviously we can't say with any certainty that the PSU is what is causing your issue, but with the PSU you have now, it's impossible to try and say that it is ANYTHING ELSE because it's just too much of a prime suspect given the lack of quality on High Power products.

This would be the least expensive unit I'd recommend as being even moderately reliable for use with a gaming card like the GTX 980. You want something with a 550w or higher capacity for that graphics card, minimum.

When it doubt, bookmark and reference THIS for future reference when you need to determine what capacity of power supply to pair with a given graphics card. Assume that it is correct if you are looking at quality units. Add about another...
GTX 980 only needs a good 520w power supply, so a 550w model should be enough. If you want a little more piece of mind you could move up to a 650 or 750w model, but the price is going to jump by about 25 bucks. Don't make the mistake of going for some other cheap crap just because it says it's 750w, or 850w, it's really not the watts, it's the quality of the unit. The wattage matters, but ONLY if the unit can actually provide the rated wattage in the first place and do it without choking on itself.

Dec 11, 2019
Alright, and before I make a purchase, what’s your opinion on the ThermalTake 600w SP-600AH2NKW? This is the psu in my personal system (this entire thing is for a friends bday, multiple friends chipping in and I’m the organizer of this whole operation), and I just want to be as budget friendly as possible without making compromises that I will regret in any way.

Thermaltake Smart series 600w? Not as bad as the Thermaltake TR2 units, and ok for a mainstream internet browsing or office type machine with low powered hardware, but I wouldn't put one in a gaming machine any more than I'd put a Corsair VS series unit in a gaming machine. Even one with a slot power only graphics card.

If you read my guide on the power supply models I recommend, it is noted in there. I believe I linked to it in my first post.