News Intel finally announces a solution for CPU crashing errors — claims elevated voltages are the root cause; fix coming by mid-August

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
So, they think they've found the cause and a solution, but they're going to just let this problem fester for another month before a solution can realistically get into the hands of end users??
I thought that was odd too, but this part of their statement jumped out:
"We are continuing validation to ensure that scenarios of instability reported to Intel regarding its Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors are addressed."
That tells me Intel may have discovered multiple bad voltage requests happening, so they're examining all information to ensure they've stamped out every bad request.

If the problem is on microcode, motherboard type does not matter.
i know that, but what i am saying is even if it was requesting more than mb said in non oc mb's even elevated voltages wouldnt likely push it past an oc voltage that runs stable.

eli5: if ur running an 8 which is default, the error asks for 9 and an oc asks for 10 then even if you getting more than you want it shouldnt have an impact on non oc'd chips as they have plenty of headroom.

umeng2002_2

Commendable
Jan 10, 2022
I thought it was the cache or the interconnect between CPU and cache that was burning out?

That might be a whole other problem. Or it could contribute to their initial VID table being wrong.

Rusting CPU vias is a feature, not a bug. No one informed the firmware team that the chips are supposed to rust.