News Intel Finally Shows Off Actual Arc Alchemist Desktop Graphics Card

InvalidError

Titan
Between ARC being 7+ months late, its seemingly on-going driver issues and next-gen GPU launches being almost right around the corner, I'll be curious to see how Intel is going to have to price them to gain any sort of retail traction if it doesn't give up on retail launch altogether first. Goodbye former plans to sell over 4M units in 2022!

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
I really wish they would've made their cards look like this:

CgZQajVM7asdWse8XNDLde-970-80.jpg.webp

I agree with what InvalidError wrote up there.

But I do not care if they are late to the show, or if the price is low or high. I just wana see actual product on the shelves, how they perform vs competition, how much power they really draw and how good/bad the drivers are on launch date. Not to mention how its build, how are materials, finish, etc.

Anyways, cheers!!!

Edited (I forgot the "but")

Last edited:

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Goodbye former plans to sell over 4M units in 2022!

This isn't super hard as they said it'll earn $300 million revenue meaning ASP of $75. An average selling price of $75 means you have products lower than $75. This means lot will be on low end cards like ARC 3, especially mobile.

InvalidError

Titan
This isn't super hard as they said it'll earn $300 million revenue meaning ASP of $75. An average selling price of $75 means you have products lower than $75. This means lot will be on low end cards like ARC 3, especially mobile.
When VRAM costs $8-10 per GB and a 100sqmm die costs ~$20, Intel would need to sell ARC at a loss to hit $75 ASP.

Intel eating losses to break into a new market would be within my expectations.

lanceton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
I'm going to switch as long as Intel's not too far behind compared to Nvidia and AMD's.
Sick of the video card shortage situation which these two companies are partly to blame.

Reactions: saltweaver

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
I'm going to switch as long as Intel's not too far behind compared to Nvidia and AMD's.
Sick of the video card shortage situation which these two companies are partly to blame.
Intel isnt going to be any nicer. From what I have seen people on this forum talk about it sounds like intel is actually the scummiest of the 3. (I dont personally care cause they have to make money and thats how it is)

InvalidError

Titan
The GPU shortages are pretty much over. Right now, there are talks of the RTX4000 launches getting delayed because AIB partners are sitting on too much unsold 3000-series stock, which means prices will almost certainly be coming down some more to help move inventory.

As for Intel "not being too far behind", you don't write robust drivers overnight. Customers will almost certainly run into countless bugs Intel missed through the first year, which means Intel will have to play a fierce game of driver bugs wack-a-mole just to establish itself as on-par. The whole timid incremental launch thing happening right now is almost certainly because Intel doesn't want to upset too much of the market all at once for failing to deliver.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Between ARC being 7+ months late, its seemingly on-going driver issues and next-gen GPU launches being almost right around the corner, I'll be curious to see how Intel is going to have to price them to gain any sort of retail traction if it doesn't give up on retail launch altogether first. Goodbye former plans to sell over 4M units in 2022!
Supposedly the rumors of Nvidia Launching on July are extremely false and over the top.
The most likely date of July is actually of mass production with a launch date of August/September if I remember correctly.
Other leakers have said that Nvidia has not even validated the bioses.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
most i know where a little excited about Arc, but now, after all the delays, and teasers, could care less about intels attempt at making a discrete video card.

most i know where a little excited about Arc, but now, after all the delays, and teasers, could care less about intels attempt at making a discrete video card.
It's still plenty exiting for anybody looking for a modern low/mid range GPU since amd/nvidia don't seem to be making those anymore.
Hopefully intel will deliver on that front at least.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
It's still plenty exiting for anybody looking for a modern low/mid range GPU since amd/nvidia don't seem to be making those anymore.
considering the time frame till amd and nvidia's next gen could be out, there is no point to this.

yea right, i bet you are one of the few that care, but all things considered, not surprising you still care and are interested in intels dGPUs. any info on it, seems to point it may not even be considered a mid range.

intel has been talking and teasing about arc for months now, and STILL nothing, may as be called vaporware at this point.

considering the time frame till amd and nvidia's next gen could be out, there is no point to this.
AMD just released a complete crap ~ $150 GPU a month or so ago and nvidia is going to release a complete crap ~ $150 GPU in a month or so, so there is still hope that intel will do better in that price segment.
AMD and nvidia will release their top end cards soon™ but the new low end cards from those two are going to take maybe years to come out.

Reactions: cyrusfox

InvalidError

Titan
Regardless of how late it is and how underwhelming it may be by the time it becomes available at retail, more choices are better as long as Intel's hardware and drivers are at least on-par and Intel prices them like it means to gain market share in whatever the market will look like by then as it usually does when it wants to break into new markets.

AMD and nvidia will release their top end cards soon™ but the new low end cards from those two are going to take maybe years to come out.
With AMD's Phoenix possibly making anything below the RTX3060 obsolete if rumors/leaks are accurate, it is quite possible AMD is bailing out of the sub-$300 range altogether with the possible exception of a "need more IGP outputs" model.

SunMaster

Commendable
Apr 19, 2022
With AMD's Phoenix possibly making anything below the RTX3060 obsolete if rumors/leaks are accurate, it is quite possible AMD is bailing out of the sub-$300 range altogether with the possible exception of a "need more IGP outputs" model.

I believe people will vote with their money. The same people who aren't buying the old stock on the shelves right now. I'm also convinced, right or wrong, that the number of people able to pay say $500+ for a graphics card is very limited. They'll go console instead if the pricetag is too high. I see the hyperinflation at Nvidia and AMD and no doubt Intel will follow.

I await this autumn with excitement - as I'll be one of the stupid twits buying myself a new graphics card 🙃

Last edited:

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
The honest marketing is refreshing! "Arc Limited Edition" as in there will only be a handful and no you can't get one. They'll build just barely enough (at a huge loss) to claim this isn't a vaporware product.