Intel G3220 cpu vs GT 610

Hulka EM 50

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
Seems the integrated graphics performance is almost twice as much on the cpu than an expansion card EVGA GT 610 2gb dedicated memory , so I pretty much wasted $50 . Anyone have any feedback on a better graphics card for this cpu ? Do I really nee 2 Gb memeory on a graphics card because my system has 4Gb ram

Solution
You don't need 2GB VRAM on a lower end or lower-mid-range video card. If the card is relatively weak, more than 1GB is useless 99% of the time and still not required the other 1%.

As for video cards, you get the worst value around $50. As you found out firsthand, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel and won't even get something better than integrated graphics. The price/performance ratio picks up dramatically as you go further over $50, peaking around the $100 price point then leveling off again. Cards that are roughly $100-$150 have the best price/performance ratio. The HD 7770, GTX 750, or the R7 260X, offer the best value right now.

If you have a poor power supply, the GTX 750 is your best option by far.
If you have a nicer power supply, the R7 260X offers the best raw price/performance ratio.
Anything much stronger than those two and you'd start to notice bottleneck issues in certain games on your CPU.

Hulka EM 50

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

In all practicality with the HD 7770 for instance I can get the model with 1g opposed to 2g memory for alot less. Is there a big difference in gaming performance. Thanks if you'd like to expand on that.

VRAM doesn't improve performance per se; it holds information such as texture data and shadow resolutions. Assuming a game is using less than 1GB, a 1GB card and a 2GB card will perform the same in that game, as the storage is not filled in either one.
The best looking modern games on "ultra" can often exceed 1GB of video memory, which cripples 1GB cards in performance at those settings. However, lower mid-range cards such as the HD 7770 or R7 260X can't run the best looking modern games on "ultra" anyway, they have to be at medium or high settings to get good framerates no matter how much VRAM they have. And at medium or high settings, 1GB will not be exceeded, so more VRAM would not be helpful.

That's why I say it's pointless to have more than 1GB on a lower mid-range card. A 1GB HD 7770 would perform the same as a 2GB HD 7770 in 99% of cases, since neither card has the raw core speed required to turn game settings up high enough to use more than 1GB.

Solution