Intel Haswell CPUs One Step Closer To The Grave

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Pointless article for more add revenue? Obviously Haswell goes away when Skylake comes to the table. Does that not make logical sense for most people? Does anyone actually care that Haswell is being phased out? Nobody loses here.

Toms has already covered Skylake pretty well, this article really serves no purpose.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
So basically skylakes in, haswells out.
Not exactly news, unless their phasing out the haswell E's, their hexa/octa core chips. Which I don't think skylake has any yet, last I looked they were all quads and dual cores.

But fair news to tell everyone.
After all, if a chip dies, it's cheaper to just replace it, rather then then replace half the system, so for those with haswell sockets, this could be important news to know and be on the look out.

First, have you some how missed that Intel has had a supply issue getting these processors out the door? Apparently so, as there have been TONS of users ask when they would be more readily available. Intel stated later this year, and this article points out that is starting to happen.

Not to mention that it is normal for the next generation of processors to cost a bit more than the out-going ones. The fact you can now buy a more advanced Skylake part for less than the older Haswell part is quite significant. A lot of people are still building Haswell systems, or might have older Haswell systems and waiting to upgrade, and I'm sure that they care to know Haswell is edging closer to being discontinued. Everyone knows it is going to happen at some point, it's knowing when it happens that is important. To ignore the removal of hardware from the market is foolish.

nycalex

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
they gotta stop changing the darn SOCKETS. really no big reason to change from 1156 to 1155, 1150, and now 1151.

dirty way to get the consumer to swap out motherboards..........

still on my 1155 i5 2500k. got it almost 4 years ago and it's still going very strong. i normally build new systems entirely every 2.5 years, but i don't see any major improvements on Intel chips for the past 4 years.

we need AMD to get their sh!t together and give intel some competition

Some readers may find the article useful and it re-enforces what resellers have been telling them. What is pointless are posters attacking the article and the ironic thing is their posting is pointless and useless as they complain about the article being.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
My main issue with this article is the statement that Skylake is good value. Prices have been driven up and up due to the lack of stock. In the UK the i5-4690K is £165 while the Skylake 'K' version is £225. The same goes for the i7 as the i7-4790 is currently £245 while the Skylake counterpart is a staggering £360. This trend continues across the board apart from the odd exceptions.

So I ask, how the hell are Skylake processors prices 'relatively low'?

logainofhades

Titan
A part of me wants a skylake build, because of the lower power consumption, and improved IPC. I want to go mini-itx, and decent, Z77, mini-itx boards are practically impossible to find. Hopefully the skylake E3's will be out, by the time I am ready. I want i7 performance, for folding, but don't want to pay the high price.

logainofhades

Titan

Did you even read the article? The K series chips are the exception, and they were talking US pricing.

Sparktown

Honorable
Jan 28, 2015
But still Tom's Hardware's "Best Gaming CPUs" recommendation list doesn't actually include any Skylake recommendations and hasn't been updated since June. Soon the list will be recommending CPUs that people can't even get. At least please update recommendations for Skylake i5s.

logainofhades

Titan

The locked processors have a stock fan. Only the K series do not. Kinda pointless to, as most people using a k series chip, are not going to be using the stock fan anyway.

Sparktown

Honorable
Jan 28, 2015

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully he/she or someone else can update it soon. I really need to do a new build soon and I would really like to hear Tom's Hardware's recommendations on Skylake (specifically the new i5s) before I buy my CPU. Also, I'm sure lots of people are thinking about PC parts as holiday gifts.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I just upgraded last month and I went with a Haswell i5, Z97 motherboards are rock solid and the performance is there, I didn't feel like waiting on a new platform for mild gains.

Anders235

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015

The locked processors have a stock fan. Only the K series do not. Kinda pointless to, as most people using a k series chip, are not going to be using the stock fan anyway.

Kind of pointless to nix the fan - someone may use all their CPU budget buying the K series processor with a view to getting a good cooling system LATER. Now, they have to factor a fan into the price regardless. This is just penny pinching by Intel and disappointingly cheap and nasty of them.

I would personally recommend Skylake over Haswell at this time for anyone shopping at the Core i5 or higher price level, but that may not necessarily be the best choice for you. Price determines a lot when building a PC. Currently, in the USA, the Skylake K CPUs are priced above their Haswell counterparts, but I would still recommend users get Skylake. The $30 price gap between them will likely push some users to buy the Haswell refresh K parts, but since Skylake has better performance, with more feature rich chipsets and DDR4 support, to me it is worth it. That seems to be a fair amount to charge for the better features you get with Skylake. But, if you are elsewhere in the world where Skylake is considerably more expensive, like if Skylake has a 60 or 100+ euro price tag, there is no way I would recommend that to anyone. Regardless of the added performance and features, Skylake just isn't that much better than Haswell to warrant that much higher cost.

I'm sure Chris Angelini will have the official "Best CPU For The Money" list updated before too long, I'm not sure what he has been involved in, but he recently updated the "Best GPU For The Money" piece not too long ago, so he is likely hard at work on the others.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
they gotta stop changing the darn SOCKETS. really no big reason to change from 1156 to 1155, 1150, and now 1151.

dirty way to get the consumer to swap out motherboards..........

I disagree, too many changes are made to new CPU's to maintain backwards compatibility and the easiest way to stop people putting the CPU into an incompatible board and blowing it up is to change the socket. Maybe they need to change it less frequently, but it does need to change some times.

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Still rocking OC'ed i7 920 Bloomfield. She just won't die.

OC'ed i7 930 here and I am just starting to weigh my options. I might go with Skylake, but will probably wait a bit more. This has easily been the longest lasting processor I have ever had.

logainofhades

Titan

Then buy a cheap Rajintek Aidos, or a coolermaster TX3. If you are already spending that kind of money, on a system, and cannot afford to add at least a $20 cooler, then there is a problem. Hence why I rarely recommend overclocking, anymore. Costs too much when when budget is tight. I definitely do not suggest an overclocking Skylake build, over a Haswell one. The added performance, and features, I just do not think are worth the added cost. I would rather spend that money elsewhere. Looking at PCPP, there is nearly a $40 difference, between a 4690k and 6600k. Nearly a $60 gap between the 4790k, and the 6700k. Typically, for Z97, I recommend the MSI Z97 gaming 5. The Z170 version is almost $25 more. DDR4 ram is finally coming down in price, so I cannot make much of an argument there, as the price gap is not that bad.

The savings, for the 4690k, could easily buy a great cooler. The i7 savings is big enough to buy at least a Crucial 250gb SSD, if not a 850 evo, with the slight savings on memory.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
"The Haswell equivalent with the same clock speed, cache and a much higher TDP, the Core i5-4570, sells for $199.99, making the i5-6500 an obvious choice between the two."

Obvious choice my ... pillow. DDR4 ram and motherboard is still more expensive than DDR3 ram and Haswell compatible motherboard.

The CPUs are not expensive, the motherboards and RAM are. Well, actually DDR4 RAM has gotten a ton cheaper and I would consider it to be a good price. But the motherboards are the only things that still need price drops.

logainofhades

Titan
Yes, you are still looking at about a $35-$40 cost difference, when looking at an i5 4460 build, vs an i5 6500 build. Thing is, the prices are not much different, for an i5 6500 build, than that 4460 build would have been 6 months ago. Retailers are phasing out old stock, with discounts, as they are finally able to get sufficient stock of the latest gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.