Intel Heat Sinc Fan/CPU Compatibility

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I am going to put together an inexpensive computer with some of the "spare" parts I have accumulated over the years. Not ever having rolled my own before, I was wondering about Intel CPU/HSF compatibility. I have a slightly-used C2D E6700 processor and a new Intel HSF from a Q9550 Quad Core processor. Is there any reason I can't use the HSF from the quad on the C2D processor?

Solution
If my memory serves me, the Quad core heat sink and fan will work fine.Same size width wise but perhaps a bit taller to help cool the extra cores.So in other words it will work great for a Dual core, probably cooler then the original sink.Intel uses a cookie cutter type of cooler....essentially same width and fan , jus adjusted the heigth to add more or less mass based on the TDP of the cpu.

thor04e

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

I had to do a few searches to find the 2 processors, the sites i read, it says both are socket 775, so the HSF should fit both without any problem.

Check for youself;

http://reviews.cnet.com/processors/intel-core-2-duo/4507-3086_7-31973836.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/processors/intel-core-2-quad/4507-3086_7-32826079.html

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks. I'm sorry, I should have specified that they both were, indeed, 775 socket processors. My concern was if there was any difference in physical dimemsions, fan speed/size, surface contact area, etc. Anything different between Intel HSFs that come with C2Ds and C2Q's?

thor04e

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

Sorry but i dont know too much about Intel processors, im using AMD myself, but i recently changed my HSF to a Zalman 9900NT, the dimensions are completely different from the stock one i had for my Athlon, since its a quad core its more likely to heat up faster so if you're really that worried your going to melt the cores just spend a few dollars and get a new HSF, you can get decent ones for very cheap these days, and some of the better ones can fit several sockets (like mine)

What i would have done in your position is get a program that can tell you your core temps and just try it out, as long as it stays at a reasonable temperature i would keep it, or just get a better fan for your HSF, again easy to find and cheap.

Good luck.

hosereh

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
If my memory serves me, the Quad core heat sink and fan will work fine.Same size width wise but perhaps a bit taller to help cool the extra cores.So in other words it will work great for a Dual core, probably cooler then the original sink.Intel uses a cookie cutter type of cooler....essentially same width and fan , jus adjusted the heigth to add more or less mass based on the TDP of the cpu.

Solution

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
you shouldnt have a prob at all untill my new cooler turns up (was out of stock) im running my QX9650 with a stock cooler from a Pentium D925. i just tested it with prime 95 and didnt get over 73 degrees. Just as the other guy suggests and ive done test it with prime95 or other program.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks to all. That's the info I was after. Until I decide on an inexpensive board, I didn't really have a way of testing out the fit. I realize an after-market cooler like the Arctic 7 I have on my gaming machine isn't all that expensive, but I'm trying to use as many existing parts and components as I can. It's sort of a "see how [strike]cheap[/strike] inexpensive I can build it" project.