Intel i3-4160 running too hot? Stress test temps of 80°+?

Turnupthedaft

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hey, I just completed a build. My temps seem fairly good, and Im fairly certain I applied the heatsink and thermal paste very well! (I actually reseated and reapplied the paste like 4 times over the span of 2 days). I even bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo aftermarket cooler to keep temps down. Im completely satisifed with the job. But for some reason, under 100% load my CPU temps are reaching 80° - 85°?

Is this normal?

When idling my temps are around 36° - 42°. That in itself seems a little high to me.
When opening Chrome, the temp jumps up to 55° for second, and then drops back down to around 40°.
I was under the impression that the i3-4160 runs very cool compared to other CPU's.
My ambient room temperature is around 18° - 22° celsius.

Ive also run Intel's own Processor Diagnostic Tool.
It passes on both of their temperature and stress tests, but Im not sure how reliable their software is.

Anyway, are these temperatures normal? Or at least acceptable? Should I be worried?
Thanks in advance.

Cyier

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
Honestly I would pull the heatsink off and removed the thermal paste from the heatsink and CPU. Reapply thermal paste and spread it, put heatsink back on and tighten the screws down. Retest and get back to us.

Turnupthedaft

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Hmmm, I guess I could do that again, but it'd be the fifth time! I'll try spreading it around with a credit card this time, but I really dont think its going to make much of a difference. And to be honest, I hate having to keep mucking around with the processor and heatsink. The less I touch it the better, right? I dont want to cause any damage accidentally.

Yea, the 80° temps are achieved using Prime95 and the CPU is reaching 100% load.

Turnupthedaft

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Do you think so? I mean, the highest Ive seen the temps go during use is 55°, and thats when I was playing CPU intensive games.

Still, I wish I could get it to somehow run cooler.

If it doesn't throttle when running Prime95 28.5 Small FFTs, then I can't figure out why you need to make it run cooler. My i5 throttles with a less efficient cooler when I set the fan to quiet mode in the BIOS; it stays below 100°C when it's set to normal. What fan profile is configured in the BIOS and how fast does the CPU run at idle? Mine runs at a frequency lower than 1 GHz (I use Intel XTU to check the temperature, frequency, throttling, etc.)