Question Intel i5-4590

May 24, 2024
So trying to upgrade my son's computer so it is compatible with meta quest 2. It says Intel i5-4590 / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater. If his motherboard is Dell F82w then there is no way for me to upgrade the cpu without upgrading the motherboard?

The headset doesn't link to the computer in order to use steam vr.
We have that headset and there are many many steps to get it to function that is not just plug and play.

My son did our linking headset to computer + steam. I just asked him what he and his brothers steps were and I asked him to wright me a cheat sheet of the steps as I told him you just flooded Dad with over load.

When I get the how to I will post.

It still does not fix the system requirements but at least you have the info to at least try. :)

May 24, 2024
We have that headset and there are many many steps to get it to function that is not just plug and play.

My son did our linking headset to computer + steam. I just asked him what he and his brothers steps were and I asked him to wright me a cheat sheet of the steps as I told him you just flooded Dad with over load.

When I get the how to I will post.

It still does not fix the system requirements but at least you have the info to at least try. :)
That would be great!! Thanks!!

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
i5 3570K is the best CPU you can upgrade to. It's a nice CPU but after 12-13 years it's not going to be enough.

The CPU will cost some $100-150. For ~$500 you have a completely new PC that obliterates the old PC's capabilities and runs Win 11.
It won't be a great new PC, but you're spending a few hundred bucks one way or another.

This would cost ~$450
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520M S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44L 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks XT PRO ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $339.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-25 21:02 EDT-0400

I'm not sure what the GPU situation is. Possibly you can re-use what you have now, or run the iGPU off the AMD Ryzen, or spend another $150-300 on a dedicated GPU.

Sorry it took a little while getting you this info. So here is what my son sent to me to give you a hand.

The Meta Quest 2 (Comfort Bundle) from Amazon is what we have specifically. I believe I paid full price as listed at $299.98.

The headset does NOT come with a link cable for using it to play while wired. YOU NEED A TYPE-C PORT ON YOUR PC FOR WIRED METHOD, no matter what (From what I can see). An adapter can also work too (Not listed here).

You CAN still play wirelessly with something like Steam VR in addition to enabling Air Play though the Oculus interface on the headset. ETHERNET CABLE MUST BE PLUGGED IN PC AT ALL TIMES WHEN WIRELESS.

If, only IF, you need a cable I highly recommend the UseBean USB C to C, 15ft, 100W Link Cable (2 Pack) for $38.99 on Amazon.

The name brand cable is way overpriced. While you don't need a two pack. This two pack is literally cheaper than the one name band link cable, that's priced at $78.73 on Amazon.

Meta Quest 2 (Comfort Bundle) - Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ94YGS...cso_cp_ud_dp_3Z3TXKGFP6NP1WHDVJ7T&starsLeft=1

UseBean third-party link cable (2 pack) - Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BW8V8C7...cso_cp_ud_dp_76V3XN09RMAT9ZYKZNQG&starsLeft=1

PC application - Official Website

Steam VR - Steam Store Page:

So he said the first thing that needs to be done is you have to use a mobile app off your phone " a one time thing" that is the first step in the process of linking headset.

Reactions: 35below0