Intel i5 7600k or 6600k on Z170 Board

shiroBlank

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
Starting off the new year, I wanted to build a computer by scratch. Unfortunately, before the new Kaby Lake series came out, I had already bought my mother board, the Z170a XPower Titanium Gaming Board, because I found a really good deal. So my question is, because I already bought my motherboard, and not my processor yet, do I go with the i5 6600k Skylake or the i5 7600k KabyLake. I heard that the new Kabylake would be missing some features if it was on a z170 board, I plan to overclock the processor to a certain amount, so it caught my attention.

My Set-Up (which isn't finished)is
Thermaltake Core P3
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080
MSI XPower Titanium
Intel i5 6600k or 7600k

Solution
You would need to go with the i5 6600k.
The Z170 motherboards do support the new 7th gen kaby lakes however they need a BIOS update before they are compatible.
Basically if you put a Kaby lake in the motherboard, it won't work. You can't enter the BIOS, you can't flash the BIOS, you can't do anything.

If you want to use the kaby lake processor, you need a Z170 motherboard with an up-to-date BIOS or, a Z270 motherboard.

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016
You would need to go with the i5 6600k.
The Z170 motherboards do support the new 7th gen kaby lakes however they need a BIOS update before they are compatible.
Basically if you put a Kaby lake in the motherboard, it won't work. You can't enter the BIOS, you can't flash the BIOS, you can't do anything.

If you want to use the kaby lake processor, you need a Z170 motherboard with an up-to-date BIOS or, a Z270 motherboard.

Solution
Any would be fine, the i5 7600k or 6600k.
if you want the i5 7600k, then you need to upgrade your MSI mobo bios as above poster just said .
if it where my case I just borrow any skylake CPU for upgrading the bios, cause that is such a great motherboard.
Also, what about PSU ? be sure to pick a good branded certified PSU.

TRENDING THREADS