[SOLVED] Intel i5 9600K to Intel i7 970K CPU Upgrade HELLPP MEEE!!!

Dec 5, 2020
So I recently purchased a CPU upgrade for my computer, I was running on an intel i5 9600K and decided to upgrade to an i7 9700K.
Currently running:
  • Aorus z390 elite MoBo
  • EVGA Supernova 650W 80+ Gold PSU
  • RTX 2070 GPU
  • 16GB RAM 3000mhz
  • cruicial 250GB ssd bootdrive
  • 1TB WD storage
  • 2TB baracuda storage
Here's my Problem: It wont boot past the Bios.
What I've tried:
  • Inserted a USB media drive with windows, it booted to desktop (yay)
  • did a clean install of windows, it wouldn't boot anymore after that
  • took out RAM, GPU, DRIVES, USB devices (no go)
  • Did a BIOS Q-flash with the latest BIOS (no go)
  • switched power outlets(no go)
  • i switched back to the i5 and everything booted fine
I cant find what's wrong with the system as i was able to get to the desktop via USB boot but was unsuccessful after that, anyone have answers???

Last edited:
Solution
If you purchased the i7-9700K recently, yes you do need the F7 bios because the CPU is most likely the R0 stepping version. The R0 stepping has been around since mid 2019.
Dec 5, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the motherboard? Did you inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins? Which BIOS version were you working on prior to the processor upgrade?

What have you tried...?
hi thanks for the reply!
MoBo make is an Aorus z390 elite, would the socket be a problem if I'm able to boot to desktop with the i5 back in(currently using the system with my i5 re-installed)? and bios version F3

Dec 5, 2020
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-cpu
I looked on this site and it said it was an F3? should i try an F7 BIOS as well??
If you purchased the i7-9700K recently, yes you do need the F7 bios because the CPU is most likely the R0 stepping version. The R0 stepping has been around since mid 2019.
Okay this worked. Didn't realize there were two instances of the i7 9700K on the table I referenced. Thanks!