Question Intel I7 4770k Oc Questions

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Hello. I have i7 4770k-Msi z87-gd 45 gaming, 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 mhz and my psu is evga tx 850m
I used this build like 4-5 month i used stock cooler wasn't able to oc because of temps are too high.Now i bought xigmatek gaia II and my temps are fine. I started to try oc today. But my chip have issues on overclocking. I just put multiplier clocks to 45 and set voltage to 1.200 and its boot fine. Hwmonitors says its on 45-47 temps on idle. Than i test it with aida64 system stability test temps was up to 90 and its started throttling like %4-5. Issue is high temps. When i just open Cinebench r15 and try to test cpu its getting stuck. There is a no blue screen or smth. I just have to use reset button.
Its doing this on 44 clock ratio too. I can only push it to 42 clock w.o getting stuck and stable on tests. I just wanna know can i do anything to go above 4.2?

Sorry for my bad english.

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Hello. I have i7 4770k-Msi z87-gd 45 gaming, 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 mhz and my psu is evga tx 850m
I used this build like 4-5 month i used stock cooler wasn't able to oc because of temps are too high.Now i bought xigmatek gaia II and my temps are fine. I started to try oc today. But my chip have issues on overclocking. I just put multiplier clocks to 45 and set voltage to 1.200 and its boot fine. Hwmonitors says its on 45-47 temps on idle. Than i test it with aida64 system stability test temps was up to 90 and its started throttling like %4-5. Issue is high temps. When i just open Cinebench r15 and try to test cpu its getting stuck. There is a no blue screen or smth. I just have to use reset button.
Its doing this on 44 clock ratio too. I can only push it to 42 clock w.o getting stuck and stable on tests. I just wanna know can i do anything to go above 4.2?

Sorry for my bad english.

Probably you can try with some setting inside BIOS beside increasing voltage and multiplier.

First thing you probably didnt win silicon lottery like me. I have 3770k and I thought I could go with 4.4ghz EZ but I only reached 4.2ghz stable with good temps. Further increase to 4.3 was not worth it. I needed to bump voltage a lot and get too much heat for such a small gains. Motherboard is z77 gigabyte so its one of the best for thet cpu.

Things that you can try is:
  • Disabling CPU EIST and C states maybe
  • Find Performance enhance (thats for gigabyte other manufacturers have different names)- set to extreme
  • Turbo power limit ON-OFF
  • Profile DDR voltage- Extreme
    [*]Vcore Loadline Calibration - High

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
Probably you can try with some setting inside BIOS beside increasing voltage and multiplier.

First thing you probably didnt win silicon lottery like me. I have 3770k and I thought I could go with 4.4ghz EZ but I only reached 4.2ghz stable with good temps. Further increase to 4.3 was not worth it. I needed to bump voltage a lot and get too much heat for such a small gains. Motherboard is z77 gigabyte so its one of the best for thet cpu.

Things that you can try is:
  • Disabling CPU EIST and C states maybe
  • Find Performance enhance (thats for gigabyte other manufacturers have different names)- set to extreme
  • Turbo power limit ON-OFF
  • Profile DDR voltage- Extreme
    [*]Vcore Loadline Calibration - High
I get that lottery on my 2x 2600k back than. I was easily push both 4.7-4.8 clocks. I think not this time.
I search all of information what you said on bios. I only have EIST and C state. Both are disabled.
I put clocks to 4.4 and voltage is 1.250 ring ratio is 43 and ring voltage is 1.200. It passed cinebech r 15 and prime95 for 30 min on aida64 its throttling on system stability test like %5-6 should i use like this or put it to 4.2? Im asking because when i play pubg for 2-3 hour temps are not going high like aida64.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
I just updated bios today. Its passed prime95 for 3 hours on 4.4 clock. I should use like this or let it test for 1 day more?

yeah its always said the longer you run it the better. 12 hours, 24 hours, I am pretty impatient. if its fine over night, im fine with it. if something comes up you can always revisit it.

I do find some notes on the settings to be helpful.

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
I get that lottery on my 2x 2600k back than. I was easily push both 4.7-4.8 clocks. I think not this time.
I search all of information what you said on bios. I only have EIST and C state. Both are disabled.
I put clocks to 4.4 and voltage is 1.250 ring ratio is 43 and ring voltage is 1.200. It passed cinebech r 15 and prime95 for 30 min on aida64 its throttling on system stability test like %5-6 should i use like this or put it to 4.2? Im asking because when i play pubg for 2-3 hour temps are not going high like aida64.

I never used prime etc, only some fast test like intel burn or xtu, cuz Im not working some serious things that if my pc freeze I will lost some valuable work or data.

What are your temps when benchmarking?

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
On Cinebench r15 Hwmonitor says max temp is 86.

That a bit high for that benchmark. If its not throttling its ok. Just don't play games etc. above 75-80 celsius, it wont be good in the long run.
Try to find the lowest voltage in BIOS for that particular multiplier, watch the HW monitor when you test if the voltage bumps higher than what you set in BIOS.
If that don't help, set it lower to x42 and thats it :). I guess you checked the thermal paste and cooler if it sits right.

Also, you can see your fan settings in BIOS if its on Normal mode instead SILENT, cuz silent will try to reduce noise but it will increase temps a bit cuz the slower fan speed.

And don't worry if your CPU is below 75celsius during playing its normal.

Lev1n

Reputable
Sep 30, 2019
That a bit high for that benchmark. If its not throttling its ok. Just don't play games etc. above 75-80 celsius, it wont be good in the long run.
Try to find the lowest voltage in BIOS for that particular multiplier, watch the HW monitor when you test if the voltage bumps higher than what you set in BIOS.
If that don't help, set it lower to x42 and thats it :). I guess you checked the thermal paste and cooler if it sits right.

Also, you can see your fan settings in BIOS if its on Normal mode instead SILENT, cuz silent will try to reduce noise but it will increase temps a bit cuz the slower fan speed.

And don't worry if your CPU is below 75celsius during playing its normal.
Its throttling on aida64 system stability test but temps are going 90-92 on that test. Throttling was %3-4. I used msi control center and put all fans on % 100 spin. On games which i play cs:go and pubg temps never go above 75. I think i need to put on 42 clock on that clocks cpu wasn't throttling on aida64.

Reactions: toniplavna

TRENDING THREADS